Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
DIY ebook reader

Gumstix is a company that makes computers the size of, guess what, a stick of gum. They currently have a kit that comes with a 4.3" LCD. The kit includes:

600 Mhz CPU
128MB RAM
USB Host
4.3" LCD touchscreen
Micro SD card slot
3 RS-232 ports
10/100 Ethernet

http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/pro...roducts_id=202

They don't yet offer a touchscreen, but it does have 3 serial ports available. It shouldn't be hard to add a few buttons, or possibly even a small keyboard.

Edit: Yes it is a touchscreen!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
interesting project, anyone ordering a kit?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm thinking about it. If the screen was 6" or 7" I'd have already spent the money.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You can be the first mobileraed member to have 9.7" e-ink reader.
Just purchase one of these kits
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=711677193
For mere $4000 you get the kit with an extra large 9.7 inch e-ink diaplay, gumstix computer, and all necessary parts. It even includes the battery. all you need to do is to create a case and load pictures of your pages to memory card for reading ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a bargain
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
How cool! Wish I'd studied electrical engineering instead of mechanical engineering so I'd have the skills to make one of these kits. Next life.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I goofed...

I was just looking at their website, and I discovered that the LCD is indeed a touchscreen.

I am so tempted.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
US$412 for a DIY reader with an LCD screen smaller than that of the eBw 1150. Too steep for me. But I suppose someone who really likes DIY electronics might have fun with it. Linux is fine... is the chip involved the same as anything else that already runs ebook reader software that we know of? Or would we have to recompile things like FBReader?

I agree, a larger screen could make this more attractive, especially if it could be done without increasing the price. But assuming this is color LCD with its backlighting requirements and associated power costs, this kind of device isn't going to get great battery life.

As a mini sketchpad it might be interesting, but I suspect that's a touch sensitive, not pressure sensitive screen, and there isn't enough memory to run much in the way of graphics software.

Odd little project.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

A slightly less capable kit can be put together for $333 by dropping the cables and going down a step for the CPU.

But, yes, I want a bigger screen.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard

I bigger screen would be nice, what would you use to make a case?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd make a nice one out of wood.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
ya know you could buy an Eee PC then fabricate a case yourself. It has a larger screen and you can put a touchscreen overlay on it, maybe even a Wacom overlay?

Looking at the kit, I was wondering are the touch screen drivers for your OS and how will you handle user input? Maybe a small built-in keyboard? Bluetooth key board? But ya have to be able to get text input somehow.

I think this might be a FUN project. You could even begin with an Eee PC and see if you could fabricate a case by removing the keyboard and putting either just flipping the display & bezel around and lay it on top somehow. Or even if the display might fit where the keyboard is now...a custom bezel could be built from just plexi or other sheet material.

Heck you could make a plaster mold of a case you like then mix up an resin material yourself. You could even smelt your own case or have a case milled from the metal of your choice. Geeze the possibilities are numerous! I might have a new summer pro-ject...after I finish the kitchen remodel of course. Heck, I am gonna need six-months of doing nothing just to recover from that! It might be pretty spendy but who cares. When I was a kid I helped a buddy of mine and his dad build a Heath Kit TV. THAT was a blast.

OOPS, I forgot to add here is a video of a guy installing a touch screen overlay on an Eee PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-BbOWVgXg

Interesting stuff.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I don't know as there are Wacom overlays, are there?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I don't know as there are Wacom overlays, are there?
From my (admittedly limited) understanding of how they work, they actually go behind the screen, not over the top.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
From my (admittedly limited) understanding of how they work, they actually go behind the screen, not over the top.
That's what I thought, too.