Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Confused about my Kindle's generation and the E-Ink version

Good morning!

My head goes spinning even after a quick search... Everything started with a simple desire to know the E-Ink version of my Kindle Paperwhite's display, which, as this website claims, should have the older version, Pearl, instead of E-Ink Carta commonly used on e-readers nowadays.

So, I first checked Device Info page on my Kindle. No success! So, now I wanted to know more about it, i.e. which Paperwhite I use. It's not that I hadn't read the reviews and collected other info about the model before I actually bought it, yet the marketing tricks could easily mislead me. Anyways...

So, here's a list of clues I could collect so far from various sources (Amazon misses a lot) and the contradictory conclusions I've come to regarding both the generation and E-Ink version of my device:

1. We couldn't befriend with Google...
2. The serial number of my device starts with B024. Conclusion: I have Kindle PaperWhite WiFi (no generation info). E-Ink = Pearl?!
3. The version of the latest firmware installed on my device is 5.6.1.1. Conclusion: the model I have is not less than KP (5th generation), since I've never used jailbreak or else for upgrades; that's the version of firmware Kindle downloaded itself - all previous Kindle devices use also previous versions of the firmware. E-Ink = Carta?!
4. I bought my device in Feb 2013. Conclusion: I have KP 1st generation, not KP 2nd generation, since the latter was released AFTER I bought mine. Also, I couldn't find info about the E-Ink version on the first wiki-page; only the second one reports about E-Ink Carta used on 2nd gen. KP devices (which I presumably don't own). E-Ink = Pearl?!

So, can you pls advise which Kindle Paperwhite generation and E-Ink version I use?

Thanks!

Rustam M. Alhas

Last edited by simurq; 09-07-2018 at 08:34 AM.
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
You have first Kindle Paperwhite from 2012 which Amazon calls Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation). And you have the latest software version for your Kindle which is 5.6.1.1.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
You have first Kindle Paperwhite from 2012 which Amazon calls Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation). And you have the latest software version for your Kindle which is 5.6.1.1.
Thank you, Lady Stardust, it helps a lot indeed!!!
Just to clear up a bit - am I right in understanding that I have E-Ink Pearl, not Carta?

Thanks again!
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Kindle Paperwhite (1st generation) was announced on September 6, 2012, and released on October 1. It has a 6 in, 212 PPI E Ink Pearl display (758×1024 resolution) with four built-in LEDs to illuminate the screen.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Kindle Paperwhite (1st generation) was announced on September 6, 2012, and released on October 1. It has a 6 in, 212 PPI E Ink Pearl display (758×1024 resolution) with four built-in LEDs to illuminate the screen.
I didn't realize that. I thought all the Paperwhites had E-Carta screens. I guess I should have known better — 2012 is long time ago in eReader history.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote