Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #226
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebani View Post
I live in San Diego-California. 3 weeks ago I purchased an Amazon Kindle Fire through Craigslist. In order to use it properly the device needs to be registered. At the time of purchase the lady who sold it to me said that it was registered under her husband's name who is a police officer in the SDPD and he wouldn't be home before 8pm. She asked me if it was OK to wait a little bit. I said OK. I made the payment and got home. Long story short it turned out that the item was blacklisted, which means that it was reported as a lost or stolen item
(Line deleted by moderation.) [N]ot only did you get scammed, but then you turned around & tried it with someone else. You are also now a criminal - you have knowingly dealt in stolen property. Give the buyer the money back or you will be in serious trouble - doesn't matter what your craigs list ad said. (Line deleted by moderation.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #227
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Thanks a lot again. I texted her and arranged a meet up tomorrow morning. I am going to refund her money. Being an honest and nice person is expensive isn't it ? lol
Honest would be returning it to Amazon so that they can return it to the owner. Reselling an item you [now] know is stolen is fencing. The karma gets on the hands of everyone touching it. It doesn't easily wash off. But I agree, you are nice.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 04-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #228
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for the response. However I am not trying to screw anyone over. On the other hand it is unfair to buy an item by knowing that it won't work properly and then complaining about it.
With the greatest respect, zebani, I think you've acted a little foolishly here. You know that the Kindle that you have is stolen property, and, knowing that, you've advertised it for sale. Telling people "this item is stolen property" does not make it any the less illegal; you're guilty of "fencing", and have done it knowingly and deliberately. That's rather a silly thing to do, and could leave you open to criminal prosecution.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #229
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the greatest respect, zebani, I think you've acted a little foolishly here. You know that the Kindle that you have is stolen property, and, knowing that, you've advertised it for sale. Telling people "this item is stolen property" does not make it any the less illegal; you're guilty of "fencing", and have done it knowingly and deliberately. That's rather a silly thing to do, and could leave you open to criminal prosecution.
Pretty much!

I've seen that happen with friends who bought a stolen car, unknowingly. They found out when they tried to register the vehicle. Cops came & took the car to return it to the rightful owner which at this point would be the insurance company since they paid the claim.

My friends lost the money they paid for the car but the alternative was being charged with felony possession of a stolen vehicle. They took the loss even though they couldn't afford it. It was cheaper than fighting the charges. They didn't have a leg to stand on. Their purchase of the stolen vehicle wasn't legal to begin with.

It's the same thing with a stolen/blacklisted reader. On a much smaller scale of course, but the same principle.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #230
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
I am just thinking of the worst case scenario if this guy turns out to be scum.
Unfortunately that appears to be the case. This sounds like stolen stuff. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #231
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Honest would be returning it to Amazon so that they can return it to the owner. Reselling an item you [now] know is stolen is fencing. The karma gets on the hands of everyone touching it. It doesn't easily wash off. But I agree, you are nice.
Will Amazon actually do that. I thought I saw somewhere that they don't. Hopefully I'm wrong as that would be the 'right' thing to do.

Carol
Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #232
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It may have been blacklisted because it was lost, not stolen. Only Amazon knows, and they're not telling.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #233
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice

This thread was started in 2010 with the same topic and recently added to by a new member under the same situation.

Everything has been said about blacklisted kindles that can be said, suggested, or argued about.

A blacklisted kindle is just that. Amazon has refused the usage of the device to access their store, due to a situation unknown to us. Usually a blacklisted kindle is due to it being reported as lost or stolen by the owner.

MobileRead disapproves of and does not condone the posting of information to help someone use a device that has been blacklisted by Amazon.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread