Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
kceb10
kceb10 doesn't litterkceb10 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900
multiple books in one

I have several ebooks that have multiple books in one and i would like to seperate them all into individual books. I'm new at editing books and dont know alot so if some one could help me out and let me know the easiest way of doing this that would be alot of help
kceb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
One option would be to make several copies of this book, and then in Sigil delete in the first copy the chapters that you don't want in be in the first book, then the same in the second, etc. Deleting chapters is easy in Sigil. Right click on the chapter name in the book browser window.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
One option would be to make several copies of this book, and then in Sigil delete in the first copy the chapters that you don't want in be in the first book, then the same in the second, etc. Deleting chapters is easy in Sigil. Right click on the chapter name in the book browser window.
(emphasis mine)

The basic idea is correct. But in case someone becomes confused, while using sigil 0.2.xx, let me amplify that the above applies most readily IF each chapter is in its own file (aka flow) within the epub. Otherwise, if the epub has not been structured in this way, separate chapters won't necessarily appear in the book browser, and you will have to search WITHIN a file to find what part of that file constitutes the chapter to be removed. In that case, in the WYSIWIG view, just block the offending material, and delete it. If you like to work in the code view, you probably don't need my advice anyway

Ideally, each chapter should be in a separate file (IMHO) but sometimes this is not the case. Hence my nit-picking advice above.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
(emphasis mine)

The basic idea is correct. But in case someone becomes confused, while using sigil 0.2.xx, let me amplify that the above applies most readily IF each chapter is in its own file (aka flow) within the epub. Otherwise, if the epub has not been structured in this way, separate chapters won't necessarily appear in the book browser, and you will have to search WITHIN a file to find what part of that file constitutes the chapter to be removed. In that case, in the WYSIWIG view, just block the offending material, and delete it. If you like to work in the code view, you probably don't need my advice anyway

Ideally, each chapter should be in a separate file (IMHO) but sometimes this is not the case. Hence my nit-picking advice above.
Fixing the chapter breaks and the TOC is the first task I do with Sigil
Doing this with 2.0Beta is lots faster (be sure to remove all spaces in the Text splits and images before doing any other work or it all goes into the bit bucket (bug will be fixed in next release).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote