Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
jedthehumanoid
jedthehumanoid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition
Text fade near edges of screen

I tried searching forum for this but couldn't find any information, but apologizes if i have missed.
I have a new Sony Touch Edition, which I absolutely has starting to love the few days of commuting since I got it.

I have one question though, about an inch from the top and bottom edge the text become "faded away" on each page. It's like it doesn't fill every pixel that needs to be filled.

This might very well be a feature, or some power saving technique, and it's not at all a killer.
I'm just curious to why?, and if I'm the only one experiencing this?
jedthehumanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedthehumanoid View Post
I tried searching forum for this but couldn't find any information, but apologizes if i have missed.
I have a new Sony Touch Edition, which I absolutely has starting to love the few days of commuting since I got it.

I have one question though, about an inch from the top and bottom edge the text become "faded away" on each page. It's like it doesn't fill every pixel that needs to be filled.

This might very well be a feature, or some power saving technique, and it's not at all a killer.
I'm just curious to why?, and if I'm the only one experiencing this?
Lots of suppliers now adopt it. It's (usually) a feature.
When seeing it for the first time on my new BeBook my first thought was, the screen would be damaged at the edges.
But actually, they do it intentionally.
The idea is, to show that it's going on.
In my opinion, it's nonsense. Pagecount alone indicates, that it's going on.
Unfortunately, you can't turn it off (yet).
You easily can test it by rotating the screen. The fading remains, though it's the left and right edges then.
1 inch seems a lot. I'd have to check. But my memory is about 1cm, not 1 inch.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-09-2009 at 01:54 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
jedthehumanoid
jedthehumanoid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Lots of suppliers now adopt it. It's (usually) a feature.
When seeing it for the first time on my new BeBook my first thought was, the screen would be damaged at the edges.
But actually, they do it intentionally.
The idea is, to show that it's going on.
In my opinion, it's nonsense. Pagecount alone indicates, that it's going on.
Unfortunately, you can't turn it off (yet).
You easily can test it by rotating the screen. The fading remains, though it's the left and right edges then.
1 inch seems a lot. I'd have to check. But my memory is about 1cm, not 1 inch.
Ah, I figured it might be something like that, but like you said, it's nonsense and a bit irritating if you already have minimal fonts reading a PDF
And yeah, it more like 1cm/half an inch.
jedthehumanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Noobula
Noobula began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505s
What mgmueller said is correct.

The faded lines of text at the bottom edge of the screen is meant to show that the text will continue.

I cant recall this feature being mentioned anywhere so it gave me the exact same scare when I first saw it.

The way I interpret it is, when I read to the faded lines I can hit the next page button and by the time I finish reading the faded text the next page would be loaded.

This feature seems to be disabled when I flashed my 505 with the prs customizer, and I have been curious what is actually the cause and effect that is going on here. (i.e. how to toggle this feature.)
Noobula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
All of my readers do that but only in landscape mode. I find it very useful; as I'm about to flick to the next page I read the grayed lines as I'm reading and pick up on the next page where the bold type starts.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
All of my readers do that but only in landscape mode. I find it very useful; as I'm about to flick to the next page I read the grayed lines as I'm reading and pick up on the next page where the bold type starts.
Same here for PRS-505 and PRS-700, PDF's in landscape mode only. I find it irritating, others think it a great feature.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote