Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #376
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Student1

That's probably from a <pre> tag in the HTML. Unfortunately AFAIK you can't control the line wrapping with CSS
What would then be my best bet to solve this issue?

Also in a similar context, when converting pdf or html to epub a lot of the link do not work properly on the divice (prs-505). Works fine in the viewer. Most of the time when its a file that has to be reformated the links will be all screwed up, is this a limitation of the device?
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #377
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
What would then be my best bet to solve this issue?
Actually, I'd check your CSS. I've seen similar results when the CSS specifies a fixed-width layout wider than the window / Reader display. If that's the case, you can fix it either by modifying the source CSS or with --override-css.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #378
Student1
Groupie

Thanks i ll check on the web so see what commands are available for the overide... and cross my fingers !

Last edited by Student1; 03-03-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #379
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
does anyone know how to remove the tiny numbers that kind of float next to the story when you're reading an epub book?

Also, I have an ebook when I convert it to LRF there were about 1000 pages, when I converted the same file to Epub the page count went down to 453...I checked and it looks like everything is there but I just want to check to know if this is normal? or if I need to look more closely to see if I did something wrong.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #380
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the way LRF and EPUB count the number of pages ina an ebook is different.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #381
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Kovid, I'm emailing you another book with an epub conversion problem, chapters being truncated in midsentence. Just sent it.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #382
Student1
Groupie

Is it safe to do a batch convert to epub and expect all the books to be pretty much perfect or are there still some problems?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #383
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

look at the tickets in te calibre trac with component EPUB Output to see the state of calibre's EPUB support.

Generally speaking, it is possible to produce EPUB files that wont work well on the SONY reader, though they work fine in calibre's EPUB viewer.

Producing files that dont work well in calibre's EPUB viewer is much harder.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #384
Student1
Groupie

Thanks for the info! I'll wait a bit to make the jump! But definelty will be very nice once all the bugs are ironed out !
Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #385
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Two problems with HTML2EPUB and images:

1) I am using --cover=cover.jpg to instruct HTML2EPUB to insert a cover page. The cover page does get inserted into the EPUB file, ebook-viewer can display it, but Sony Reader does not - it just takes a long time to render an empty page. What could be the reason?

2) Can HTML2EPUB resize large images to fit Reader's screen? Right now it simply keeps the original resolution, which prevents the reader from displaying the whole image. I expect I could solve that with CSS (though it would mean assigning a different class to large images and different class to small images), but it has an added disadvantage of producing huge files that render slowly (I do want full-color full-resolution images for my backups, but on my Reader, grayscale and lower resolution would be better).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #386
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Two problems with HTML2EPUB and images:

1) I am using --cover=cover.jpg to instruct HTML2EPUB to insert a cover page. The cover page does get inserted into the EPUB file, ebook-viewer can display it, but Sony Reader does not - it just takes a long time to render an empty page. What could be the reason?

If your image is jpeg2000, the reader wont display it, other than that, I can't think of anything.

2) Can HTML2EPUB resize large images to fit Reader's screen? Right now it simply keeps the original resolution, which prevents the reader from displaying the whole image. I expect I could solve that with CSS (though it would mean assigning a different class to large images and different class to small images), but it has an added disadvantage of producing huge files that render slowly (I do want full-color full-resolution images for my backups, but on my Reader, grayscale and lower resolution would be better).
I don't really like the idea of making epub files that device specific, so no.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #387
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If your image is jpeg2000, the reader wont display it, other than that, I can't think of anything.
It's not. Regular JPEG. Large, though (600 DPI, 24bit color).

Quote:
I don't really like the idea of making epub files that device specific, so no.
It would of course be an option.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #388
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Easy to test, just make a smaller one.

I haven't come up against image size limits in the 700, but IIRC, there is an image file size limit above which ADE will refuse to display images as well.

As for an option to downsample images, it's certainly a possibility, but you've picked a bad time to ask as calibre's conversion subsystem is undergoing a re-organization and new features are on hold until that is complete
Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #389
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Easy to test, just make a smaller one.
Just did, and it started working now.

Quote:
As for an option to downsample images, it's certainly a possibility, but you've picked a bad time to ask as calibre's conversion subsystem is undergoing a re-organization and new features are on hold until that is complete
I am in no hurry - I don't expect to switch to EPUB sooner than a new firmware (with full justification, better stability and faster page turns) appears (if that ever happens). I was just testing my setup for converting all HTML books into LRF/EPUB with one command :-)

In fact, all I need is a simple YES-NO answer: Do you plan to include optimization for specific devices within say 6 months? YES will be great, but NO is just as good - due to the process I use to create my ebooks, I can just as well add an image-optimalization step to my frontend. It's not as if it were a lot of code, after all...
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #390
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure adding image optimization for devices is trivial to do (at least to the extent of resizing the images, I doubt I will downscale to gray though)