Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
jsbt
jsbt began at the beginning.

Device: None
Read PDF without downloading file

Hi,

I could not find a post about this subject. I share my e-books through Calibre's local wireless server. When I with to read a PDF book, I click on the book and the PDF file is downloaded to my mobile device. This clutters my mobile device and uses flash card space that I could use for other apps or purposes. I wonder if there is a Calibre setup where I can read the PDF e-books in the local webpage without downloading the PDF into my mobile device. Any advice is welcome! :-)
jsbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbt View Post
Hi,

I could not find a post about this subject. I share my e-books through Calibre's local wireless server. When I with to read a PDF book, I click on the book and the PDF file is downloaded to my mobile device. This clutters my mobile device and uses flash card space that I could use for other apps or purposes. I wonder if there is a Calibre setup where I can read the PDF e-books in the local webpage without downloading the PDF into my mobile device. Any advice is welcome! :-)
You are confused on how a PDF is handled.
A PDF is a Single file.
It must be fully transferred before it can be opened (viewed).

Your choice is:
Get on demand. (the Calibre content server can help with this)
Delete from your device when done viewing
Data charges may apply (if not local WiFi)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Google Chrome and Firefox should open the PDF directly in the browser, so it will be stored in temporary internet files and deleted from the cache once necessary. But that will only work on a tablet/smartphone, not an ereader.

Is that a workable solution?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
jsbt
jsbt began at the beginning.

Device: None
thank you

eschwartz, many thanks. I will install Chrome instead of the native browser and check.
jsbt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, e-book, file, pdf, read