Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #76
amelco
amelco began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thanks for this nice bootloader, seaniko7.

I still have problems to install Obuntu. This time, I can see the selection screen of the bootloader, but when I select "Update Obuntu", the system reboots after about 30 sec. and goes back to the Onyx booxtor firmware.

I think my Onyx is somehow locked. I have already used the seaniko tool to unlock it, but didn't work.

Does anyone have or had this problem?
amelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #77
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
this is what happens to me with Obuntu: "spots" where the text disappears, sidebar becomes transparent and white lines in correspondence of lines of text.
this is normal or only happens to me?
I made the last update and the problem remains (especially in reading the PDF ...)
seaniko7, could you give me some advice?
Attached Files
File Type: avi 2013-08-18-250.avi (7.94 MB, 374 views)

Last edited by rogerpiano; 08-26-2013 at 12:02 PM.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #78
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelco View Post
Thanks for this nice bootloader, seaniko7.

I still have problems to install Obuntu. This time, I can see the selection screen of the bootloader, but when I select "Update Obuntu", the system reboots after about 30 sec. and goes back to the Onyx booxtor firmware.

I think my Onyx is somehow locked. I have already used the seaniko tool to unlock it, but didn't work.

Does anyone have or had this problem?
I also have the same problem with my m92 bought from Booxtor. Anyone please advise.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #79
RobinDesBois
RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.RobinDesBois knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Nice work Seaniko7! Thanks for sharing this amazing project. Now i feel much more confident to try it myself.

But, before i do it i wish to ask a few things.
1. Now there are 2 obuntu installers, one from day 16.08 and another from day 17.08. Should i ignore the one from 16.08 and install only 17.08 or should i FIRST install 16.08 and THEN 17.08?
2. I´ll still be able to run ONYX firmware after installing obuntu?
3. It´s possible to uninstall it?
4. (And finally) This will void my warranty? (Its from ereader store)

Thanks in advance!
RobinDesBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #80
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

I did a firmware update to the 20130717 FW and then install Obuntu. Unfortunately, the device freezes at the boot page (with the bottom bar at that first bar). I cannot boot to anything now. Please help.

Is there a way to flash the device the factory stage? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-11-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #81
rogerpiano
Connoisseur

Also I have the same problem. After installing Obuntu I had to reset. For the moment start the only Obuntu. I tried to update with firmware 2013-04-07, 2013-07-17 and also 2013-04-25 (from Arta-Tech), but not start any updates.

Premise n.1: I am totally new to S.O. ubuntu, all I know I've learned from just reading on the web
Premise n.2: I know that seaniko 7 said that for the moment his work is indicated for advanced users
Premise n.3: I know that seaniko 7 said that for the moment he does not want to well on FAQ various
Premise n.4: I want to commend seaniko7 and thank him for his fantastic work
But I believe that seaniko7 should answer a few posts like yours or my taking a few minutes of his time to this.

I wanted to try installing Obuntu aware of the risks due to my being inexperienced, and now I am unfortunately with the problems I described without knowing why and not even be able to start the original firmware.
I try to make some assumptions:
- In the last video of seaniko7 at minute 9:14 you can see that seaniko7 start from firmware 1.8 2013-04-07, installs Obuntu and after upgrade to 1.8 2013-07-17 (at minutes 11:30)
- In post n.56 Crazydog responds by saying: "I can not advice anyone to install the new update 07.17.2013 M92! It contains a new uImage-initramfs (found in boot folder)".
Am I to understand that the installation of Obuntu must be done by the firmware 2013-04-07 and NOT from 2013-07-17 (maybe that's why I have that kind of display problems?)
But these are just my hypothesis, which for the moment have no counterpart whatsoever, and in any case in the instructions did not specify any of this.
Me too would be able to have the old firmware.

Seaniko7, I still have to ask you your opinion on these issues and on my display problems. Thank you also if you want to tell me that everything is normal or that you do not know what they are owed or that I have done something wrong.
Thanks again for the work you are doing.

Sorry for semi-automatic translation...

Last edited by rogerpiano; 08-20-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #82
aruangra
Connoisseur

I got the help from Ereader-store.eu to restore my device.

Quoted " you can recover your device using MFG tool: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...50_UPDATER.rar "

This is the life saver. After installing the new firmware, press reset on the back and press power. Then the device will boot to a black screen. Press power again. Then you get your device back.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #83
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
i had the same prob when updating to newest firmware with already installed obuntu os.
it took me some time, but finally formatting sd and flashing boox firmware 1.8 did the trick (but removed obuntu os)
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #84
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
seaniko7, and the answer to this question so I has not seen ... Can you comment?
+ Important question: how to turn on the screen to "grayscale"? Device it can yet pull? Or do not even try?

seaniko7, а ответа на этот вопрос так я и не увидел... Можете прокомментировать?
+ важный вопрос: как включить режим экрана "градации серого"? Может устройство его всё-таки потянет? Или не стоит и пытаться?
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #85
hans1
hans1 began at the beginning.

Device: boox m92 blackpearl
Thank you, seaniko7, for your great efforts. It is _very_ much appreciated!

Could anyone point out the current location for the obuntu install file? I would like to install it on my m92, but seaniko7:s first post (initially 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM) seem to point to empty space in dropbox (file removed?):
17-08-2013
obuntu_install_20130817.oar
hans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #86
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans1 View Post
Could anyone point out the current location for the obuntu install file? I would like to install it on my m92, but seaniko7:s first post (initially 07-06-2013, 02:20 PM) seem to point to empty space in dropbox (file removed?)
Just use the file obuntu_install_20130816.oar Everything is working well.

Просто используйте файл obuntu_install_20130816.oar Всё работает хорошо.

@seaniko7 Thanks for the video review. Very informative and affordable!
@seaniko7 спасибо за видео-обзор. Очень познавательно и доступно!

Last edited by Kirith; 08-25-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #87
hans1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirith View Post
Just use the file obuntu_install_20130816.oar Everything is working well.
I just don't get it. When I try to download, dropbox replies (regardless of 20130816 or 20130817):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cs8qe4qwl...l_20130816.oar

"Nothing Here
The file you're looking for has been deleted or moved."
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #88
Kirith
schoolteacher

hans1, You are right. In my collection of files they are. Now I will give the links:
http://yadi.sk/d/M1jRQbxK8KSae
http://yadi.sk/d/GpRLTEdP8KSic

hans1, Вы правы. В моей коллекции файлов они есть. Сейчас дам ссылку.

Last edited by Kirith; 08-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #89
rogerpiano
Connoisseur

hello hans1.
I saw that you have a black pearl version and wanted to ask you this:
- From which firmware version you started to install obuntu?
- After installing the original firmware is still present or crashes at startup?
- You experienced any of the problems I've described in previous posts regarding the display of text and pdf?
thank you
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #90
hans1

Again, thanks seaniko7 for the great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirith View Post
hans1, You are right. In my collection of files they are. Now I will give the links:
http://yadi.sk/d/M1jRQbxK8KSae
http://yadi.sk/d/GpRLTEdP8KSic
Thanks, Kirith, for the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
hello hans1.
I saw that you have a black pearl version and wanted to ask you this:
- From which firmware version you started to install obuntu?
- After installing the original firmware is still present or crashes at startup?
- You experienced any of the problems I've described in previous posts regarding the display of text and pdf?
thank you
Hi, rogerpiano. I made an install roundtrip, and tried to document it a bit, please see below.

What I would REALLY appreciate, is if someone have successfully attached an external keyboard using usb host mode to obuntu (see test below). Without keyboard, it's just too time consuming to understand how things work. Btw, has seaniko7 merged his current code somewhere? To me it's unclear what to look for and where.

1. My initial setup:

m92 black pearl, updated with update-20130407.zip (from https://onyx-boox.com/support/firmware/)

2. Installed obuntu:

I was using seaniko7:s first post:
* copy obuntu_install_20130816.oar and OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz to standard SD card (no need to reformat first)
* run obuntu_install_20130816.oar (click on it)
* reboot and select update obuntu from newly added menu (hold down button and press power)
* reboot and start obuntu via menu (hold down button and press power)

During this stage (already after running the .oar), the original software stops working (file not found? stops at first black block as described earlier). Power cycle can still be made by holding power button for 10s or so, or reset on backside. If you power cycle this way, it will always reboot. The only way to shut down the device is the reset hole or exiting from obuntu.

3. Tested obuntu

The obuntu installation works as expected. Some glitches has been mentioned (eg inproper rendering of vertical slide bar) but as a whole it works.
* No more ghosting than expected (nothing will become unreadable in the terminal that I run). Full screen refresh after screen saver has been activated is nice.* Pen not totally aligned but great to work with anyway
* Connected to wavelan, installed xournal (apt-get install xournal), and tested - it worked fine. Tried some more downloads that don't always work. Could download but not run freemind (java based). Could download and run xpenguins but without output (which makes it a bit...useless :-)

4. Tried external keyboard

My setup: 4x mini hub (usb2) with external power, usb-keyboard, miniUSBfemale->USBmale-converter to connect the m92 to the hub as host.

I could not get external keyboard to work (removed and loaded modules as suggested in seaniko7s first post, loaded usb_hid and tried some other modules). As I interpret seaniko7, only raw output exists. However, "lsmod" didn't show anything more than two linux root hubs. I don't know what to look for in terms of success here. Which device to read or what to look for, anyone?

5. Tried usb-console mode (reboot via menu, select "console")

Could not connect with minicom. Possibly wrong serial device in use by me. Didn't bother too much.

6. Tried to update onyx-software

Insert SD-card with update-NNNNNN.zip or update.zip, then reboot via menu, select "update onyx"
* No single update seem to work (tried my "current" version update-20130407.zip, and the reformat version update-20120309.zip). Nothing happens (seaniko7s menu freezes, blue light for ever).

7. Re-installed m92 with mgftools

Mfgtools-Rel-11.10.19_ER_MX50_UPDATER on winxp (failed to find USB ports under wine on ubuntu). Followed instructions (mftools are renamed as "new" and profile as "linux" as compared to attached - indeed very easy to follow - instructions)
* First attemt fails after short while. Reset-hole, restart mgftools, retry then it all works fine

8. Re-installed obuntu

Now, obuntu installs properly, and onyx software works even after install.
* obuntu works as before
* cannot mount onyx internal disk from external computer anymore, only SD card.
* software very much the same except much worse synthetic voice.
* very little internal user space remains

9. Back to initial OS

Re-installed m92 with mgftools.
Could not update to update-20130407.zip (the version I had when I begun)
After applying seaniko7s unlocker, install of my initial version was successful.
* adobe settings were lost, and scribbles as well even though I restored user space as before, including hidden dirs (ie with leading "." )
* the original voices are back
* Possibly, I could have updated by unlocking without re-installing. Must try some day.