Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #121
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Leir: Yeah, it does . I now know *where* the issue is, although I'm not quite sure *why* yet... (And I fixed an unrelated bug while looking into this, so, yay ^^).

Can you remember how exactly you put those two books on your device (and how they were converted, if that's the case)? (Conversion/format settings: mobi old, mobi new, mobi both, AZW3, enable sharing; How they were sent: Calibre's Send To Device, over email, sideloaded manually...).

I can actually deduce most of this from the logs, but, still, can't hurt to have all the details .

Also, could you run the update package attached to this post (if at all possible, after having opened the second book last)? It'll create a covermode_debug.log file in the root of your Kindle. Like the logs, I'll need to take a look at it to try to understand what's happening .
Attached Files
File Type: zip covermode_debug.zip (4.6 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #122
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Note to users of Calibre Copy Cover plugin

For those users who may still want the option to create a set (max 100) of screensavers from selected covers in their Calibre library...

My Calibre Copy Cover plugin has now been updated to support NiLuJe's changes to this Custom Screensaver hack for Kindle Touch/Paperwhite. The Calibre covers will automatically be sent to the correct Kindle directory (/linkss/screensavers) at the correct size & format (png) with names bg_medium_ssNN.png (NN=00-99).

As always, users have the choice to keep aspect ratio or not. As of this latest release, all Kindle users (Kindle 2/3/4/DXG/Touch/PW) who choose 'keep aspect ratio' will have the screensaver images automatically 'padded' with white sidebars to full screen-size so that the previous screen isn't visible in the background.

If there are any problems please post in the plugin's main thread (see above link).

Regards, Jackie

Thanks to Akirainblack for testing on Touch & PW and to NiLuJe for speedy replies to dumb questions

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-07-2012 at 12:50 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #123
DevilCat666
DevilCat666 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
@NiLuJe Latest version installed and I have the cover of my last read book - good stuff!

I read an earlier post where you suggested a code line change to have the image full size on the PW. I have white vertical bars either side of my book image.
The code change you suggested was line 82 - is this now line 91 in the cover-extract script? And is it just an edit change - no compiling required?
DevilCat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #124
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
@DevilCat666 -- no longer need to edit -- per one of NiLuJe's posts earlier -- as well as his changelog for Version 0.3 on page one -- just drop a blank file, named "stretch" into the linkss folder, restart, and you're good to go.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #125
DevilCat666

I just spotted that - I need to RTFM !
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #126
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Leir: Yeah, it does . I now know *where* the issue is, although I'm not quite sure *why* yet... (And I fixed an unrelated bug while looking into this, so, yay ^^).

Can you remember how exactly you put those two books on your device (and how they were converted, if that's the case)? (Conversion/format settings: mobi old, mobi new, mobi both, AZW3, enable sharing; How they were sent: Calibre's Send To Device, over email, sideloaded manually...).

I can actually deduce most of this from the logs, but, still, can't hurt to have all the details .

Also, could you run the update package attached to this post (if at all possible, after having opened the second book last)? It'll create a covermode_debug.log file in the root of your Kindle. Like the logs, I'll need to take a look at it to try to understand what's happening .
Um I added the books to Calibre, then sent to my Kindle through Calibre. No idea if they were mobi old or new, but they are definitely mobi. I downloaded and updated their metadata from calibre. So what i did was put the update in the root of my kindle, updated it, opened up 1st book, pressed sleep button, saw 1st book cover. Then pressed back, opened second book, pressed sleep button, still seeing 1st book cover.
Attached Files
File Type: rar covermode_debug.rar (1.9 KB, 303 views)
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #127
DevilCat666

@Leir I'm no expert as can be judged by my previous problems, but! I have your issue if I just select a book and then sleep. However, if I wait a good few seconds or read a page, the book cover does appear as the screen saver. May be co-incidence, but maybe worth a try?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #128
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCat666 View Post
@Leir I'm no expert as can be judged by my previous problems, but! I have your issue if I just select a book and then sleep. However, if I wait a good few seconds or read a page, the book cover does appear as the screen saver. May be co-incidence, but maybe worth a try?
I read about 3 books now, yet the screensaver still shows the first book I read after installing the hack
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DevilCat666: That's to be expected. The hack waits 2s after the reader opens before doing anything. You can probably add another second to that to actually switch the screensaver, and that's with a cache hit .

@Leir: Hmm. For some reason, it looks like the timestamp of the last access doesn't get updated on your device... Is the Home screen sort by 'Recent' working properly on your device? Is the date/time set properly? (IIRC, it looked okay in the logs, but I did catch some weird error messages about the catalog that may be related...).

Does it work properly with other books?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #130
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DevilCat666: That's to be expected. The hack waits 2s after the reader opens before doing anything. You can probably add another second to that to actually switch the screensaver, and that's with a cache hit .

@Leir: Hmm. For some reason, it looks like the timestamp of the last access doesn't get updated on your device... Is the Home screen sort by 'Recent' working properly on your device? Is the date/time set properly? (IIRC, it looked okay in the logs, but I did catch some weird error messages about the catalog that may be related...).

Does it work properly with other books?
Now that you say it, my Kindle always sort of rollbacks (time wise) after I update it. The "Recent" category is kinda funky too, but maybe thats because I forgot to set the time.

My screensaver still stays the same even after reading other books. Sorry NiJuLe, maybe my kindle and I just arent cut out for these stuff
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Okay, so, yeah, that's the issue .

I have to rely on the time & date being accurate, and the timestamps of the catalog too, can't accurately point at the last opened book without that .

See if setting the time helps. (I'd usually recommend to just enable the wireless for a while, but with the evil 5.3.0 update looming, not a great idea right now ).
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #132
Leir
Enthusiast

@NiJuLe

Alright, shall monitor the timing and adjust it accordingly, see if the problem still persists after that.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #133
hochster
hochster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had tried various jailbreak hacks for my Kindle 3G with Special Offers. This is the only one that was successful. I restored factory defaults, jailbreak version 11, pyton 01 and ss .03. installed just as outlined above. Up came the "you have hacked" screensaver. Have since replaced it. But this process is the only one I could get to work on my K3G w/SO. Thanks.
hochster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #134
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hochster: You're confused. This is a K5 (Touch/PaperWhite) hack. Nothing to do with the K3.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #135
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
If it did work on the 3 it would be amazing...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch