Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
Wiggles
Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
I'm 99.44% sure your internal 2GB micro-SD card is dying.
So, it is just a standard micro SD card in there?

Alright, i'll have a go at opening the case (if i can find a guide). I might have to give it to my tame Linux expert for the cloning, but shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have a couple of spare 8Gb cards here, would the Kobo take one? or would it choke on the extra capacity?
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
Wiggles
Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Wiggles 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Got the case open (that was surprisingly easy)

No sign of an internal microSD card - a little googling reveals that it's the Kobo Wifi with the internal card, not the original one

Is there anything i can do while i'm in here, or should i seal it back up and start saving up for a Glo?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
Got the case open (that was surprisingly easy)

No sign of an internal microSD card - a little googling reveals that it's the Kobo Wifi with the internal card, not the original one

Is there anything i can do while i'm in here, or should i seal it back up and start saving up for a Glo?
It's a standard micro-SD card in the Kobo wifi, so you're good to go. You'll need to remove a few tiny screws and take the whole circuit board out - the SD card is on the back side. It's a lot easier than cracking open the case.

If you clone the 2GB card using 'dd', your 8GB card will look exactly like a 2GB to the Kobo. Theoretically, you can then use 'parted' to resize the partition and make the reader see it as an 8GB card, but that's unexplored territory for me.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Wiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
It's a standard micro-SD card in the Kobo wifi, so you're good to go.
I have an original, non-wifi Kobo unfortunately. There's no Micro SD card in there that i could see
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Having Original Kobo is the rubber cover on 5 way switch still glued down and not cracked?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Wiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Having Original Kobo is the rubber cover on 5 way switch still glued down and not cracked?
Yep, no problems there.

Except for some minor scratches on the bezel, The whole thing is in pretty good condition - considering how much use it's had.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Going from my Kobo Wifi to Kt was like from model T to a Thunder Bird. When I have returned to using Kobo Wifi it was a reliable old friend I quickly adapted to using again.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #23
Wiggles

Update - It's fixed!!!

For anyone else having the same issue, the fix is:
1. Put an SD card in the expansion slot - this will allow you to load and read books from it for the time being.

2. Fly to Vanuatu.

3. You will notice that the original memory has been restored and functions normally. You can remove the SD card.

I'm not sure if the fix is specific to Vanuatu, or if any French colonial island in the south pacific will suffice.

It looks like it'll keep me going until the Glo is released. There is still no sign of it in Australia yet
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
Update - It's fixed!!!

2. Fly to Vanuatu.

3. You will notice that the original memory has been restored and functions normally. You can remove the SD card.

I'm not sure if the fix is specific to Vanuatu, or if any French colonial island in the south pacific will suffice.
Damn I wish I had know about that before I factory restore and upgraded to 2.1.5!!

I wonder if Kobo will start offering special flights out?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote