Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Have you written off Pocketbook yet?

Because I pretty much have. I still own a PB 360 (original), and it works well, but when it'll be time to replace it, I don't think PB will get my money.

So imagine my surprise when they introduced the PB Basic New: Still no Pearl display, and 90 € / 112$ for that? I think I'll pass. Good luck, PocketBook, you're gonna need it.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Pearl Display is not everything that makes a good reader.
THe "Touch"(with Pearl) is regardless of it's display the most advanced reader I have seen so far and the (very few) glitches which are still in the software should be adressed in the next FW update.
Consider the rest: Kindle; good , but closed environment / Kobo; cumbersome to use with single button / Sony; glossy frame and buggy Android, no support / Cybook; really gray and weak contrast

What else is there???
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Being in North America, I'd say that PocketBook have written me off. Same result, though.

Last edited by rkomar; 09-07-2012 at 06:55 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Being in North America, I'd say that PocketBook have written me off. Same result, though.
Apparently they decided America deserves only Kindles or Kobos and concentrate on Europe.
In my eyes a wise decision and the few americans who'd like to have a PB can buy it via Ebay nontheless
Old 09-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Yes.

Except for the buttons (far too stiff), I loved my PB360, and still slightly prefer its software setup to Onyx's.

But given the Onyx Boox i62HD's clearly superior hardware to the PB622, and the fact that I was able to pick it up for 3/4 the price of the latter, it was a no-brainer when I came to upgrade.

My impression of PB is good software, but cutting-edge prices for well-behind-the-curve tech. PB might still be competitive in the European market (where muted competition seems to have made higher prices and older tech more acceptable), but my impression is that the US & Rest-of-the-World markets are lost to them.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Oh, I agree, but it's what any good reader in 2012 should have. All the competition does, at any rate.

Quote:
What else is there?
A new Kindle (not to my liking, but surely a valiant contender), a few new Kobos, semi-recent Nooks ... And I do hear good things about the recent Sony lineup.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What else is there???
  • Onyx Boox, especially the i62HD (see my comment above)
  • Wexler Flex One (if weight and/or durability is all-important, and money is no object)
  • BeBook Pure
  • Cybook Bookeen Odyssey
  • And probably a few others, that I can't bring to mind
Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Pearl is however nearly ubiquitous by now, which puts Vizplex-based readers at a distinct disadvantage, meaning that they have to demonstrate a clearly discernable advantage in their combination of usability and pricing to stay competitive. PB have a considerable disadvantage on price compared with the majors (Amazon, B&N, etc), and other minors are comparable on usability and price.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Have you written off Pocketbook yet?
Not yet.
but ...
I am very sad to see that they are different company they they were long time ago when they developed PB301 and PB360.
Back then, they published SDK (Software Development Kit), theme builder, dictionary builder, lots of stuff. Back then they cared about community. Back then they organized and sponsored competitions for development of utilities, games, themes. Back then PocketBook representatives took active part in this forum.
Nowadays all the great features are mostly what remained from the "good old days". Back then somebody wrote a kick-ass software speciffication and the architecture that lets us configure many things remained. They still have LOTS of options for configuration of the devices and reading applications. By now it should be a standard to be able to load your own fonts or set any fontsize, margin size, line spacing, justification you wish. Yet, there are many readers out there that do not support that stuff. Like Kindle.

By the way, Guys in Kiev (TM) keep working.
Here is the new prototype with a front-lit HD screen without glass backplane.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UEs6tvKdAz8

Last edited by kacir; 09-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Here is the new prototype with a front-lit HD screen without glass backplane.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UEs6tvKdAz8
It looks good. But I'd be cautious about equating the-digital-reader's comment about "LG Display’s HD E-ink screen" as meaning "without glass backplane". Here they also talk about the Boox i62HD as having "the new flexible higher resolution screen which was developed by LG Display" -- but as far as I know its screen is neither LG nor flexible (just HD). I'd want to hear that sort of thing from PB's own mouth to be sure.

(As far as I know, only Wexler to date has released a LG/flexible HD screen as yet. Onyx Boox were looking at it, but abandoned the idea, for the time being, due to concerns over the new tech.)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Because I pretty much have. I still own a PB 360 (original), and it works well, but when it'll be time to replace it, I don't think PB will get my money.
what am I going to do? I still don't know, really. I very much agree with all Kacir has written, and although my PB903 is doing (almost all) it is supposed to do, I am very frustrated with the lack of communication and above all the lack of firware updates - it feels very much like a continuous work in progress, with PB changing manufacturers and software developers, discontinuing lines even before the software is fully developed, and quite dumbly not providing the necessary accessories to make their models take off. I do get the distinct impression that they are simply spread too thin, and I am really not suprised that they've abandoned the US market as it seems to me here in Europe we are much more tolerant than over the pond of low levels of customer service.

Mind you, I am not talking of the people who actually sell PB devices, but if they are sold with half developed software and no manual that one can speak of there is not much retailers can do. Not to speak of the Obrey service, which is beyond pathetic.

Nevertheless, I am now so used to the customization, that when I look around for a substitute for my devices when they are going to die I cannot find anything at the moment that would be a satisfactory substitute, in spite of the shortcomings. Onyx seems on a par with Pocketbook in terms of being spread thin, and I'd rather stick to the devil I know

But I am open to suggestions
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Onyx seems on a par with Pocketbook in terms of being spread thin, and I'd rather stick to the devil I know
Any minor brand is likely to be forced to run their software development on a shoestring -- but I'd rather go with them than with a major brand who is shoveling money at developers to write more and more elaborate software that often seems more aimed at selling you books than at helping you read them.

I haven't used an eReader from the majors, but what I read in the Nook Simple Touch manual (which I looked at when evaluating my upgrade options) made me very nostalgic about my PB360. It also made me think that I'd happily pay a fairly substantial premium to get PB software running on the NST.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Sadly, yes, I have.

They did real good with the 360, but the rest was only a downslope from there on. I feel sorry for the people who are in charge of sales and customer service, because they are obviously very dedicated, but the management, especially International Strategy and R&D (if those posts exist at all) is not worth a penny.

The only thing they managed to do is to ruin the reputation and the future of a very promising start-up.

I can only see future for PB in Ukraine, if at all.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
  • Onyx Boox, especially the i62HD (see my comment above)
  • Might be, I was never able to lay my hands on one.
    BTW, the Boox i62HD is HD and LG, but not flexible (AFAIK LG is the only company worldwide producing HD E-Ink screens)

Quote:
  • Wexler Flex One (if weight and/or durability is all-important, and money is no object)
  • Not for sale yet, only prototype

Quote:
  • BeBook Pure
  • Maybe, but only for one week on the market, let's see

Quote:
  • Cybook Bookeen Odyssey
Definitely not, the display is worst I've ever seen on an e-reader, and this includes any Sipix like the OYO or the multitude of cheap LCD devices

For the early PB I can agree to everything kacir and Aceflor said, but I guess reality happened
They started with the 360 beeing new, fresh and underdogs but then someone realized there was big money to be made and took over. That was the end of "the former Pocketbook".

With the PRO series they tried to be a global player, but without the background needed for such an undertaking. They moved to Switzerland, did some serious reorganization in management and R&D and abandoned the 302 and IQ which were too expensive to support (sad but understandable from a management view).

Now we have PB V3: Concentrated on Europe and Russia/Ukraine, a basic and an advanced 6" model, the 9" because nobody else cares for this segment and 1 (2 in the future) tablets. Structures have changed from a bunch of geeks to an orderly medium sized company. This not beeing finished we have to endure all the downsides. Support is mediocre at best (except Forkosigan who is incredible, but you have to contact him personally), new FW development is slow (actually 611 and 622 is pretty good) and they already have new ideas

Regardless of all the internal problems I'll stick to PB until I find a device that has all the advantages in customization, format variety and library organization for large amounts of books and will recommend their products to everyone who will listen

Last edited by troll05; 09-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
I'd say yes. But no. I'd be damned If I know.

Quote:
Regardless of all the internal problems I'll stick to PB until I find a device that has all the advantages in customization, format variety and library organization for large amounts of books and will recommend their products to everyone who will listen
I assume there's finally a SDK for PB 6xx somewhere?
I bought my PB for 4 reasons: Italian TTS (I don't use it so much, but for me is like honey for bears), Dictionary converter, Wifi/3G for possible websurfing. And SDK.

Sadly Wifi/3G is nearly useless with actual firmware.
Not that I'm a programmer, but early SDK availability was promising material for maintenance/upgrade of this piece of hardware. Moreover because they seem to struggle with the firmware. Too bad.

Anyway I agree with troll05. Open reader, best option. Usually.

Edit:
5 reasons: I forgot the gazillion of ebook formats that I could read. Even if reading a PDF is sometimes challenging.

Last edited by preempalver; 09-10-2012 at 08:33 AM.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote