Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
ibex333
ibex333 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook STR
Is the Kindle really such a mediocre reading device?

I have been owning Nooks for the past 2 years, and when someone asked me that they wanted a reading device, I recommended them a Kindle, becuase I saw many reviews online saying that this device has really improved and is in many ways better than a Nook.

But oh horror! WHERE THE HELL IS THE REFLOW?! And how the hell can an e-book reading device be called "good" if it doesn't have reflow? This, without any exaggeration, is pretty much one of the most important features!

The person I recommended this reader to, called me complaining that they are trying to read a Russian book and the text is too small. Just increase the font I said, and you are good to go! The reply was that now the page is cut off and the have to scroll horizontally to see the other half... WHAT?! I thought my friend was just being stupid, so I said I'll come over and help them out. But I quickly found out that unfortunately they were right!

I also found out that I couldn't jump to a certain page in a PDF document. When I selected "Go To" nothign would happen...

No worries I said. PDF is probably not the best format for this thing.. We'll try... EPUB!! It works great on my Nook!

WTF?! EPUB is not supported?! I have to use converters? And if I want reflow I have to email files to Amazon?! Are you kidding me? We are talking about a 60 year old man here... He doesn't know how to deal with this shit... I should have recommended him a Nook..

Now off course the standard reply would be... "You should have done your homework before recommending anything to anyone!" But with all the positive reviews it was hard to see through the BS. Virtually EVERY ebook reader supports reflow and many support EPUB! I wonder if the new Kindle Touch is also crippled in the same horrible way, and if it is so, I would have to wonder how anyone in their right mind would buy this device over the Nook...

The ONLY nice thing I noticed about the Kindle is the fact that, for technical PDFs, it is nice to be able to scroll horizontally through the graphics/pictures on the page.. But then it is also necessary to enable reflow when needed.

Lets put it this way... Kindle is a MAC. And Nook is PC. Nuff said.

Last edited by ibex333; 10-01-2011 at 12:19 PM.
ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Please. 99% of everyone knows Amazon doesn't do epub and likely never will. 99% of everyone knows PDFs are not good formats for any reader. If you are such a Nook lover I don't know why you would recommend a Kindle.

And no, Kindle is not a mediocre reading device. Not in any respect.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What a way to totally lose the plot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You seem to be attempting the rather ill-advised feat of reading PDF files, which are probably formatted for an A4 or US Letter page, on a screen that's 1/6th that size. That's really not a terribly good idea. PDF is not an eBook format, but a digital representation of a printed page. It can only sensibly be viewed on a screen the size that it's intended to be read on.

The Kindle reads Mobipocket format files, not ePub. This is rather well-known. As you say, "do your homework".

Why do people buy "this shit"? Because they buy books in Amazon's really rather nice bookstore, and aren't even aware of such things as "file formats".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I myself only wonder about pdf reflow. My stupid phone which I hate can do it, so it would be nice if my ereader could do it. I don't know why it doesn't. Politics maybe as it could have an app for reading pdfs like phone does. I don't think it's that difficult.

Although, I resigned to converting all my library to mobi files (maybe I should start now as it will take ages especially with pds as I will have to do it one by one)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Obvious Troll is, well, obvious. I'll take my troll food and leave now..
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Obvious Troll is, well, obvious. I'll take my troll food and leave now..
Yes, it begs the question, why would a Nook lover tell a friend to get other than a Nook? Does that mean Kindle is Easier to Use than a Nook? Well, it probably is. I would never recommend a Nook, since I don't own one.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Please. 99% of everyone knows Amazon doesn't do epub and likely never will. 99% of everyone knows PDFs are not good formats for any reader. If you are such a Nook lover I don't know why you would recommend a Kindle.

Agreed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Yes Indeed!

I did my homework and the Kindle had the best bang for the buck.

I keep seeing people drone on about epub, I honestly see no advantage in it the files are
typically larger and the "features" that are being droned on about really are not a big deal.

It may be a nice to have feature but 99% of the people don't care about that "feature".

I find it odd how the guys who do not own kindles keep coming to the kindle forums
to tell how inferior the kindle is to their device, it leads me to believe most these
post are just sour grapes.

Last edited by Harry_Y; 10-01-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Because I suck at spelling
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Yes Indeed!

I did my homework and the Kindle had the best bang for the buck.

I keep seeing people drone on about epub, I honestly see no advantage in it the files are
typically larger and the "features" that are being droned on about really are not a big deal.

It may be a nice to have feature but 99% of the people don't care about that "feature".

I find it odd how the guys who do not own kindles keep coming to the kindle forums
to tell how inferior the kindle is to there device,
it leads me to believe most these
post are just sour grapes.
^This! I really do not understand why people do this! I own a Kindle. I participate in the Kindle forums. I do not own a Nook, and although I have used the Nook for PC app, I do not participate in the Nook forums (or Sony or any other Non-Kindle eReader forum).Even if I were in the market for another brand of eReader, I certainly wouldn't waste my time telling their owners how horrible their devices are.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Does the Nook really reflow PDF's?
(provided the PDF is created in a reflowable manner)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex333 View Post
I have been owning Nooks for the past 2 years, and when someone asked me that they wanted a reading device, I recommended them a Kindle, becuase I saw many reviews online saying that this device has really improved and is in many ways better than a Nook.

WTF?! EPUB is not supported?! I have to use converters? <snip> We are talking about a 60 year old man here... He doesn't know how to deal with this shit... I should have recommended him a Nook..

Now off course the standard reply would be... "You should have done your homework before recommending anything to anyone!" <snip>

Lets put it this way... Kindle is a MAC. And Nook is PC. Nuff said.
Wow! Homework lacking indeed, but prejudice glaringly obvious! Why would you recommend a device to someone without having any experience with it whatsoever and apparently having done nothing but read a few reviews? And I would bet that almost all reviews mention the fact that the Kindle does not do ePub! Most folks would also be aware that a 6" screen really doesn't do much for PDF files, which is why the Kindle DX is recommended if your main reading is of technical books and PDF formats.

And, as someone who will be 60 in a couple of months, I am rather amazed that apparently you think anyone over the age of 30 is a bit of an idiot and incapable when it comes to technology! Oh, and I personally like and own both PC's and MACs, the main advantage to the PC being that I can build my own.

The Kindle is an excellent eReader; I have never used a Nook so can not comment on its capabilities and would certainly not post that it was shite because it didn't do things the way the Kindle does!

(I know, shouldn't feed the troll, but I had to respond!)

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Does the Nook really reflow PDF's?
(provided the PDF is created in a reflowable manner)
The Kindle is unique (I believe) in NOT supporting PDF reflow; all my other reading devices will do it.

It's completely useless for anything complex, but it works reasonably well for simple text PDFs. But if it's simple text, it really shouldn't be in PDF format in the first place, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

That's one of the benefits to having cats, they love to eat trolls, rats, mice, and other vermin.