Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I shouldn't have to root a device to make it a tablet. I want to buy something I don't have to fiddle with. The Nook Color requires fiddling and I don't want to do that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #32
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I shouldn't have to root a device to make it a tablet. I want to buy something I don't have to fiddle with. The Nook Color requires fiddling and I don't want to do that.
again you have to remember Barnes and Noble isn't marketing this as Tablet you have to root. That is something people have done on their own

the Nook color is marketed and designed to be an eReader with some fun features. that's it.

People are taking advantage of the price point, outstanding hardware and having fun with it. It was never the intention of Barnes and Noble but hey for $250 and soo easy to do, then why not.

If you don't want to root and still want a top notch device you will have to pay alot more, at the very least $100 more.

Last edited by boswd; 05-10-2011 at 10:36 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #33
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not in Nook Color land. It has no competition whatsoever. This is where Amazon should go. A quality Android tablet for the average consumer at a price they can afford. Not some high priced tablet geared for business use and tech geeks.
So how does the Amazon tablet distinguish itself from the Nook Color? I think you'll need to root an Amazon tablet to get the most out of it, just like the NC. You'll have the Amazon Video on Demand, but I can do that with the $100 Craig tablet I have now. Ditto for the Amazon App Store, and the music, etc. Obviously, Amazon will have these apps built in to any released tablet, but is that enough of a leg up to succeed?

And keep in mind: The Nook Color is being positioned as a color e-reader, not a tablet. You can turn it into a tablet, but that's not how it's marketed. So I think we need to ask the question: With Amazon's tablet be a color e-reader you can turn into a tablet, or a tablet on its own, out of the box? If it's a tablet out of the box, then it sounds to me like the Archos tablets that have been around for a while. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, but one of the things they always get panned for is not running the full Android Market.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've been considering getting the NookColor for some time. My money is invested in Amazon, however. My wife and I have spent a considerable amount of money on Amazon books since she owns a K2 and I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and my iPad. The NookColor is a better form factor for reading, for me at least, and even though I de-DRM all my purchases (thus making my purchases usable on the NookColor), I thought about investing into the Nook ecosystem as a way to diversify a bit. I can root the Nook Color to get access to my Kindle books. A Samsung Galaxy Tab would let me get the form factor that I want and still stay married to the Amazon ecosystem and also give me a true tablet. For now, I'm holding off on my plans. I want to see what Amazon has up its sleeve.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
People are taking advantage of the price point, outstanding hardware and having fun with it. It was never the intention of Barnes and Noble but hey for $250 and soo easy to do, then why not.

If you don't want to root and still want a top notch device you will have to pay alot more, at the very least $100 more.
This pretty much sums it up best.

But, at the same time, I don't think it matters what the price is on a device, someone's going to try to crack/root it just because they can.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
So how does the Amazon tablet distinguish itself from the Nook Color?
Hard to know until we see it.

I really thought that the nook color was attempting to move more toward tablet-land when they announced the firmware upgrades would allow purchased apps etc. But really, as it stands right now it is extremely anemic.

Maybe they should look into forming a partnership with Netflix or something and offer a full fledged media experience similar to what Amazon is likely gearing up to. That'd be pretty cool.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You can now get a Galaxy Tab for $350 and not have to fiddle with it. Me, I don't mind rooting if it'll save me $100.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #38
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My birthday is in September, I can wait. This is not something that I have to have now but something I would like to have.

I know that the Nook Color is not marketed as a tablet, that is why I have not thought about buying one.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I can root the Nook Color to get access to my Kindle books. A Samsung Galaxy Tab would let me get the form factor that I want and still stay married to the Amazon ecosystem and also give me a true tablet. For now, I'm holding off on my plans. I want to see what Amazon has up its sleeve.
The first app I put on my rooted Nook Color was Angry Birds; the second app was Kindle.

I'd definitely wait to see what Amazon comes up with. Right now, your only two realistic choices are Nook Color for $250 and Galaxy Tab for $350.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #40
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I think the primary difference concerns the fact that one exists and the other may exist at some future point... just love the internet and the way it feeds on itself from rumour to fact...

Still, if the Amazon Tablet comes to fruition then, dependent on price and openness, it'll be worth a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
So how does the Amazon tablet distinguish itself from the Nook Color?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

We don't know how the Amazon Kindle will distinguish itself from the Nook Color yet because we have not seen the specs. But if the Amazon Tablet is actually a tablet and not an e-reader that can be rooted to behave like a basic tablet that would be a biggie.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
My birthday is in September, I can wait. This is not something that I have to have now but something I would like to have.

I know that the Nook Color is not marketed as a tablet, that is why I have not thought about buying one.
I'd like to see Amazon take on the Nook Color and give their tablet full market access. $250 is a good price point and something with mass appeal. The average consumer doesn't need all of the hardware add-ons of the $500+ tablets.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd like to see Amazon take on the Nook Color and give their tablet full market access. $250 is a good price point and something with mass appeal. The average consumer doesn't need all of the hardware add-ons of the $500+ tablets.
Stop giving us cameras and lower the price.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Stop giving us cameras and lower the price.
Exactly! 7" and 10" smartphones are a bit ridiculous.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #45
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I think this image says it all:

If this is really what Amazon has in mind (and again, I'd like to see it from a better source), then clearly someone at Amazon (which probably means Bezos) has lost their g**d*mn mind. It almost loses more rationality with every retelling.

The idea of a 180 degree viewing angle is particularly comical. Who in the hell cares if you can make out the screen when it's at eye level? Does anyone use a computer that way? Does anyone read that way?

Not to mention the fact that to me, Amazon coming out with a tablet makes about as much sense as Nike coming out with a brand of ballet shoes.
Amazon making a tablet makes a ton of sense: They're a content provider who sell Android apps - by selling tablets they increase the market for their App Store.

It's the same reason they sell Kindles.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle