Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #46
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by briant1234 View Post
UHOH! so i tried to load gmail, and everything froze up.
Do you use gnash browser plugin?
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
as you can see I need to fix the rotated layout for the mini.
Matchbox-keyboard layout is very easy to customize. Look into keyboard.xml file in the package.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #48
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yea, i used gnash, ill try it with it off for now. anyway after i got it working, all my books wouldnt open O.o im resyncing now to see if it is fixed
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #49
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Matchbox-keyboard layout is very easy to customize. Look into keyboard.xml file in the package.
sorry mate. will do. I was still knee deep in ordered dither.

SDL tweaking. I will indeed have a look myself. just sharing what I was up to with the mini keyboard. : ) thanks baf
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

ugh so i tried out the new version, turned gnash off, loaded up gdocs, and it froze and wouldnt do anything. i got it to restart, however, now, when i unlock it, it just shows a blank screen where the menu is supposed to be. It recognizes on the pc, but i dont seem to be able to hardware restart it. any advice?

atm- very scared of skipstone hehe havent managed to use it for more then 1 min bfore crashes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #51
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ugh so i tried out the new version, turned gnash off, loaded up gdocs, and it froze and wouldnt do anything. i got it to restart, however, now, when i unlock it, it just shows a blank screen where the menu is supposed to be. It recognizes on the pc, but i dont seem to be able to hardware restart it. any advice?

atm- very scared of skipstone hehe havent managed to use it for more then 1 min bfore crashes
hmm weird. it's been fairly solid on mine.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #52
briant1234
Enthusiast

generally what sort of sites are you loading? just loading anything more than a google page freezes it up
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #53
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
The best way of fixing it would be adding some RAM to Kindle
Seriously, if it's possible, I'm willing to do it.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #54
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
I might have spoiled it with my "improvements".
I will investigate when I have some time.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #55
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... The best way of fixing it would be adding some RAM to Kindle
Instead of RAM surgery inside your kindle, you can free up some RAM with a swap file, but the tradeoff is that it will cause extra write wear on the mmc while it is used. You can also use a swap file over a network (such as an nbd device) to save the mmc.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #56
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Instead of RAM surgery inside your kindle, you can free up some RAM with a swap file, but the tradeoff is that it will cause extra write wear on the mmc while it is used. You can also use a swap file over a network (such as an nbd device) to save the mmc.
Would an external USB device be too slow to be a practical swap space?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #57
baf
Evangelist

SkipStone 0.4

Quote:
generally what sort of sites are you loading? just loading anything more than a google page freezes it up
I put new version on my site. Maybe massive debug output, that I forgot to remove, was freezing kindle.
I also corrected mime handling.
Please test.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #58
zerolucat
Enthusiast
zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.zerolucat is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: kindle touch
there is a way to copy and paste some text?
zerolucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Would an external USB device be too slow to be a practical swap space?
No, it would not be "too slow", but it might be noticeable.

If the kernel supports NBD (Network Block Device), swap works over NBD.

It does not work over CIFS (Samba) nor NFS. In both cases trying to do that can lead to a kernel deadlock.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #60
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, it would not be "too slow", but it might be noticeable.

If the kernel supports NBD (Network Block Device), swap works over NBD.

It does not work over CIFS (Samba) nor NFS. In both cases trying to do that can lead to a kernel deadlock.
okay. I've built a few tools to give this a try. Don't want to Hi-jack the thread though so I've spoilered most of it...

Spoiler:
[root@kindle root]# nbd-server --help
Quote:
This is nbd-server version 3.1
Usage: [ip:|ip6@]port file_to_export [size][kKmM] [-l authorize_file] [-r] [-m] [-c] [-C configuration file] [-p PID file name] [-o section name] [-M max connections]
-r|--read-only read only
-m|--multi-file multiple file
-c|--copy-on-write copy on write
-C|--config-file specify an alternate configuration file
-l|--authorize-file file with list of hosts that are allowed to
connect.
-p|--pid-file specify a filename to write our PID to
-o|--output-config output a config file section for what you
specified on the command line, with the
specified section name
-M|--max-connections specify the maximum number of opened connections

if port is set to 0, stdin is used (for running from inetd).
if file_to_export contains '%s', it is substituted with the IP
address of the machine trying to connect
if ip is set, it contains the local IP address on which we're listening.
if not, the server will listen on all local IP addresses
Using configuration file /etc/nbd-server/config
1st server test:

Kindle:

[root@kindle /dev]# nbd-server -C /dev/null 8080 /
Quote:
** (process:4268): WARNING **: Specifying an export on the command line is deprecated.

** (process:4268): WARNING **: Please use a configuration file instead.
(These warnings are expected)

PC:

me@dev ~/GIT/k5ctng $ sudo nbd-client kt 8080 /dev/nbd0
Quote:
Negotiation: ..size = 0MB
bs=1024, sz=8192 bytes
me@dev /dev $ sudo mount -a -o ro /dev/nbd0 /mnt/us
Quote:
mount: /dev/nbd0: can't read superblock
(now kill all processes related)
[root@kindle /dev]#killer nbd-server
(you can use pidof and kill instead)

2nd test:

Kindle:

[root@kindle /dev]# nbd-server -C /dev/null 8080 /mnt/us
Quote:
** (process:3918): WARNING **: Specifying an export on the command line is deprecated.

** (process:3918): WARNING **: Please use a configuration file instead.
PC:

me@dev /dev $ sudo nbd-client kt 8080 /dev/nbd0
Quote:
Negotiation: ..size = 0MB
bs=1024, sz=0 bytes
me@dev /dev $ sudo mount -t vfat -o ro /dev/nbd0 /mnt/us
Quote:
mount: /dev/nbd0: can't read superblock

so I obviously need to run more tests, do more reading as I am unsure of the expected output and the errors are quite unhelpful.

Can confirm there is no /dev/nbd0,1,2,3 in /dev on the touch... so it would probably be a custom kernel job to mount stuff with the client. but again I need to check that.

Have to read more about getting the swap space to run via nbd also. but essentially a nice quick set of tests that at least prove the arm bins run built via buildroot.

I used http://nbd.sourceforge.net/ http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/02/...mpstart-guide/ and http://www.microhowto.info/howto/exp...using_nbd.html as references.

Anyway, Hi-jack over. short answer: possibly.

: )

Last edited by twobob; 10-23-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: quote, clarity

Tags
browser, gui lanucher, kindle, launcher add-ons, touch