Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
sigizmund
sigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook && Android
Question Testing pocketbook apps

Hey folks,

How do you test/debug your Pocketbook apps? The most straight forward way is, obviously, just cross-compile ARM code, install app on the device and run it - but edit/refresh cycle is long, debugging is cumbersome and %reasons% -- especially when building UI.

The approach which was suggested in the original SDK (pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net) was to use libinkview compiled for Windows, either by using Cygwin or compile on Linux using winegcc. On Linux I got as far as compiling the app, starting it with wine, and it crashes with access violation at some point; on Windows it even starts the app window and still crashes with access violation -- all of this before reaching my code (reasons for that is kinda hard to debug without having full source code).

Question is: how y'all do it? Ideally running app natively on your PC (Linux or Windows) would be ideal, but failing that, anything that allows to relatively easily run and debug app might help.

Thoughts?
sigizmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
The inkview windows sdk is rather aged and basically runs only on win xp. Luckily, fully working gdb is shipped with stock firmware. Best success I had was just cross compiling, deploy task (I'm using IDEA) configured to directly store the binary on the device, and then just launch it in gdb in there with debugging port the IDE then connects to. Then everything works as expected. You also need to do some symlinking so as to get include headers / source files correctly placed and recognized by gdb that runs on the reader.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 AM   #3
sigizmund
sigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook && Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
The inkview windows sdk is rather aged and basically runs only on win xp. Luckily, fully working gdb is shipped with stock firmware. Best success I had was just cross compiling, deploy task (I'm using IDEA) configured to directly store the binary on the device, and then just launch it in gdb in there with debugging port the IDE then connects to. Then everything works as expected. You also need to do some symlinking so as to get include headers / source files correctly placed and recognized by gdb that runs on the reader.
That's really cool - do you think you can write a post describing how your setup works? Would be very interesting and useful for new generations of pocketbook hackers!
sigizmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There is some information on gdb in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=222077. Since you already have gdb on your device, you can ignore the part about installing an external version with the libraries.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
random42
random42 began at the beginning.

Device: PB HD3 (632), Kindle Paperwhite
I thought people were doing most dev in qemu.

I'm also interested in how to get going, I wanted to see if I could get programs written in Rust working
random42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert