Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
JudahsShadow
JudahsShadow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8"
Page curl on amazon devices.

I haven't been able to find anything on this. I use the kindle app on my Fire 5th gen tablet. The files I send over from calibre don't seem to support the page curl, even if I originally obtained them from amazon. Is there something I need to do in the settings or a particular format I need to convert to?
JudahsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No idea, sorry. Offhand I'd guess amazon does not allow it for sideloaded books. Part fo their general boil the frog policy to curb side loading.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
JudahsShadow

Hmmm, ok I was hoping it was something the file itself reported to the device, which could then be manually set, or the reader seeing an ASIN known to have the ability. Perhaps I'll do some digging into this when I have time.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
or it could be a KFX only feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Page curl is one of the features that is only available with Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
JudahsShadow

Just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm talking about the natural looking curling of the page when you turn it rather than the slide over. Is that KFX only? Hmm...I did just redownloaded several books from the kindle for PC and a lot are KFX now (except the ones I most wanted to be >_<). I'll have to download one of the AZW3 books now from the Fire's kindle app and see if they have the animation.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahsShadow View Post
Just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm talking about the natural looking curling of the page when you turn it rather than the slide over. Is that KFX only?
Yes. As far as I can tell that is KFX-only in the Android app. (And that limitation is not documented anywhere that I have seen.)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
JudahsShadow

I saw that in my test on my phone last night. I presume the built in kindle reader on the fire tablets counts as being the android app then? And while I'm doing meta-data cleaning up on my newly imported KFX books (and other cleanups on my third party books >_<), do we know if being a KFX is enough to get the curls?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
PangaDayWalker
PangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Kindle Paperwhite
My assumption on this is that the curl might be somehow attached to the DRM when you buy a book. All books I have so far are sideloaded, no matter if they are Mobi, KFX, AZW3, etc they won't have curl.

The only book I bought has the curl on my android device.

I wish all books could have it.
PangaDayWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangaDayWalker View Post
My assumption on this is that the curl might be somehow attached to the DRM when you buy a book. All books I have so far are sideloaded, no matter if they are Mobi, KFX, AZW3, etc they won't have curl.

The only book I bought has the curl on my android device.
Page curl works for me with sideloaded books in KFX format in the Kindle for Android app (version 8.16.0.57, Feb 26 2019) on a Nexus 7 tablet. I have that feature enabled under More, Settings in the Books category. I just tested it again with the attached book.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.zip (306.7 KB, 217 views)
Old 03-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
PangaDayWalker
PangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmosPangaDayWalker has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Page curl works for me with sideloaded books in KFX format in the Kindle for Android app (version 8.16.0.57, Feb 26 2019) on a Nexus 7 tablet. I have that feature enabled under More, Settings in the Books category. I just tested it again with the attached book.
I have attempt to convert and didnt work. Not sure why. How did you convert?
PangaDayWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangaDayWalker View Post
I have attempt to convert and didnt work. Not sure why. How did you convert?
Using the optional KFX Output plugin.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
alrightson
alrightson began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Fire Gen 5
Hi all, just read this thread and Its the same for me as it is for PangaDayWalker. I am using amazon kindle fire 5th gen, downloaded and installed kindle previewer 3 and the kfx plugin. I have converted a book to kfx and sideloaded it to my device and it goes straight into my personal docs, does not show cover thumbnail and page curl not working. I have emailed it to my kindle goes straight to books (which is great what I wanted) but still doesnt show the cover of the book or page curls. Covers show if I convert them to mobi but no page curls. but I get page curls with the book I brought. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or its my device or what. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
alrightson is offline   Reply With Quote