Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Is there something like the Kobo Clara HD, which has a light temperature adjuster, the ability to load fonts and create collections, all without wifi?
The Clara light bleed issue is putting me off.
Not sure about collections, but maybe the new Pocketbook Touch HD 3?

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/ch/en...specifications
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Not sure about collections, but maybe the new Pocketbook Touch HD 3?

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/ch/en...specifications
Is there an English language version of that page?

Can I change the temperature of the light on the reader?

Thanks lots.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Not yet as far as I know.

I believe so.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Google Translate does a decent job with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Is there something like the Kobo Clara HD, which has a light temperature adjuster, the ability to load fonts and create collections, all without wifi?
With those requirements, Kobo is your only choice.
Quote:
The Clara light bleed issue is putting me off.
Kobo have acknowledged the problem and stated that they will replace any device that has it. But, if you can deal with a shop, you should get quicker turnaround.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I will state for the record that I had to return an Aura HD a few years back directly to Kobo for a warranty replacement. (It had stopped charging for unknown reasons.) The experience was relatively painless and I had my new Aura HD within a few days.

(That Aura HD died a horrible death due to my clumsiness. If I hadn't been clumsy, I might still be using it.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ottdmk: That's good to know, thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J

After lots of thought and chat with MR peeps, I've developed a list of things I would like in a new reader. If anyone can think of a device which fits I would be infinitely grateful.

1. The ability to load custom fonts.

2. Be able to create collections on a device
which has never been connected to wifi.

3. Must be able to sideload books (no wifi.)

4. Lots of appearance customisation of fonts,
font size and weight, margins, line spacing etc

5. Blue light reduction would be a very nice
feature to have, but I'm not convinced this
technology has been refined, hence so many
complaints. This may be why the latest
Paperwhite doesn't have it. If there's a device
without issues which uses it, that would be
great.

6. Leds not numbering between 12 and 14, I
have tridecaphobia. Unfortunately, the Kobo
Clara HD fails here.

7. Price under £150, but there's some
movement here though definitely not over
£200.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
Ansl
Enthusiast
Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo H2O2v1
I would still recommend the H2O2, unless you specifically want/need short lines of text or find your existing Paperwhite uncomfortably heavy. My unit has a relatively nice front light, the night light is warmer than on the Clara and goes a bit dimmer (an advantage if you like reading in the dark, regardless of your preferred tone), and the back is nicer too. The screen isn't quite as good as it could be, but should still feel like an upgrade from a 2013 device.
Ansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J

Ansl: is that the Kobo H20 edition 2? I'll take a look at it, thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
BookCat
C L J

I'm now thinking of going ahead and buying the Pocketbook Touch HD 2, which I prefer to the upcoming 3. I just have to be brave enough to place the (online) order.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My problem with PB devices (several of which I’ve owned over the years) has always been the firmware. The hardware is excellent, but the firmware is severely lacking compared with Amazon or Kobo. Eg, the devices I’ve owned didn’t have dictionaries.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:34 AM   #28
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My problem with PB devices (several of which I’ve owned over the years) has always been the firmware. The hardware is excellent, but the firmware is severely lacking compared with Amazon or Kobo. Eg, the devices I’ve owned didn’t have dictionaries.
Did not have dictionaries? I thought dictionaries were Pocketbook's main selling point: You always get Russian and German out of the box. My models always had them.

If for some obscure reason your model lacks the dictionaries, you can always download them from the website for free (go to Support section and pick your model). For example, check out the Wörterbücher here https://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/su...ook-touch-hd-2

Having owned Pocketbook devices, you of course knew it, right?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Did not have dictionaries? I thought dictionaries were Pocketbook's main selling point: You always get Russian and German out of the box. My models always had them.

If for some obscure reason your model lacks the dictionaries, you can always download them from the website for free (go to Support section and pick your model). For example, check out the Wörterbücher here https://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/su...ook-touch-hd-2

Having owned Pocketbook devices, you of course knew it, right?
My apologies, I should have said “English dictionaries”. If good commercial English dictionaries on the level of those supplied by Kobo and Amazon are available for PB, I was unaware of them.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #30
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My apologies, I should have said “English dictionaries”. If good commercial English dictionaries on the level of those supplied by Kobo and Amazon are available for PB, I was unaware of them.
They don't come with those. They have an affiliated store that sells commercial dictionaries for them, but the selection isn't very big. You can buy The Oxford Dictionary of English, for example, but the larger editions aren't available.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, features, fonts