Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Walmart eBook vs. Kobo Stores

I've had a Kobo account for several years (since Sony closed their Reader Store). I haven't bought much from them but I'm looking at making them my first choice for eBooks -- just because I don't think Amazon should have all the business.

Since I have the Kobo account, when I clicked eBooks on the Walmart site, I was redirected to the standard Kobo eBook store (I think there was a referral URL, but nothing else different than just going to Kobo). But when my brother followed the link, he got a Walmart branded Kobo store -- so I booted up my laptop and, sure enough, the Walmart eBook store came up. Since I didn't have an account with Walmart eBooks, I used my Walmart login and now have a second Kobo account. At this point I don't mind that, but I wonder if there is a way to link the two accounts? Or will they always be treated as two separate accounts?

So then I logged out of my Kobo Touch (under accounts) to see if I could login to the new Walmart account. When the Touch rebooted it came up with the Walmart eBook logo and login as the default -- so, I guess, in the U.S. Walmart is now the "go-to" Kobo bookstore? (They also gave you the option to choose the Kobo bookstore, but that was secondary, below the FaceBook login.) Kind of weird to see that. Has anyone else experienced this?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't see a Walmart ebook store. I get a few pages on a Walmart site, but as soon as I want to shop for ebooks, it goes to a Kobo site.

From and Ad on the Walmart (U.S.) site, it looks like there are Walmart ebook gift cards; I can't seem to find the ad again.

And the Kobo site still needs some work. I do a search, click on "media type - ebooks", and I get audiobooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
At this point I don't mind that, but I wonder if there is a way to link the two accounts? Or will they always be treated as two separate accounts?
If you go to your account on the *real* Kobo site, there is an overview of Sign in options. Most of them have "Link this account" as a possibility. Walmart has been added at the bottom of the list

https://secure.kobobooks.com/profile?wslang=en-US
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A, iPad (1st gen)
When I logged into my Kobo account earlier today (from my PC web browser and I'm in the US), the first log in choice was WalMart, with Kobo, Facebook, Google, etc. below it. It used to be that it defaulted to the Kobo login, with Facebook, Google, etc below that. I assume it is all the same store, just different login options for people that don't want to create new login identities.

(I'm not interested in a single sign on, which is why I signed up with a Kobo login. The addition of the Wal-Mart login surprised me, although in retrospect, it should not have.)

I do not know if the accounts can be linked; I don't see why they couldn't, since the only reason there are so many login options is to make it easier for people to sign in and register.

Edit: I just followed the link to the post before mine and it looks like it is very simple to link accounts. I have nothing linked, and plan to keep it that way, but it's nice to see that it's a user-controlled option.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 08-23-2018 at 10:58 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
girlwithabook
girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, iPhone 6s
@rcentros

If you log into either account, go to the kobo website My Account>Account Settings and on that page you'll see a link of partner to link, by linking the accounts you can sign in with either. If you need to merge content (if it doesn't after linking), I'd contact the customer care team, they can help .
girlwithabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for the explanations. I was more curious than anything else. I'll probably delete the new "Walmart" account (or just leave it for experimentation). What was surprising to see was the Walmart being the default login when setting up the Touch (after logging out of my Kobo account).

To John F — I didn't see the Walmart version of the Kobo store either, until I went to a different computer (or at least a different browser). I guess cookies in the browser must divert you to your regular Kobo account if you've already got one. The Walmart Kobo Store has fewer options at the top (the link for eReaders goes back to Walmart's page, for example) — otherwise it looks identical to the Kobo standard bookstore, except with the Walmart eBook by Rakuten Kobo logo. (I've attached screen grabs of the two from two different browsers — once I go to the Walmart Kobo store in browser that hasn't been used for Kobo, that becomes the default.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walmart.png
Views:	117
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	165804   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.png
Views:	125
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	165805  
Old 08-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get a page similar to your first image, but it is a www.kobo... url, not a www.walmart... url.

I tried it on my computer, tablet, and phone, and they all go to a Kobo site (with references to Walmart).
Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I get a page similar to your first image, but it is a www.kobo... url, not a www.walmart... url.

I tried it on my computer, tablet, and phone, and they all go to a Kobo site (with references to Walmart).
The only way I can get to the Walmart Kobo page on this computer is with a browser I never used for logging into the regular Kobo store. If I've ever logged into the Kobo store with a specific browser, the link on Walmart's page will only take me to that page. (I'm guessing I could delete all cookies in the cache and "fix" it but I don't want to have to "rebuild" everything else.)

It works in the opposite direction as well. Once I've logged into the Walmart Kobo Store in a particular browser, even if I directly enter "kobo.com," it goes to the Walmart version of the Kobo page (even after logging out).
Old 08-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
John F
Wizard

Quote:
The only way I can get to the Walmart Kobo page on this computer is with a browser I never used for logging into the regular Kobo store. If I've ever logged into the Kobo store with a specific browser, the link on Walmart's page will only take me to that page. (I'm guessing I could delete all cookies in the cache and "fix" it but I don't want to have to "rebuild" everything else.)

It works in the opposite direction as well. Once I've logged into the Walmart Kobo Store in a particular browser, even if I directly enter "kobo.com," it goes to the Walmart version of the Kobo page (even after logging out).
When you say "Walmart Kobo page", what is the url?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
John F
Wizard

I just tried a new laptop (never visited the Kobo store before), and I get a Kobo url.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just tried a new laptop (never visited the Kobo store before), and I get a Kobo url.
That's odd. You're doing this from the Walmart eBook link?

Here's what the full URL is when I follow the link from the Walmart eBook page in Chrome (a browser I never use because Google stopped supporting Chrome for 32-bit Linux a couple years ago).

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebooks/tr...=eBooksCP_page

(EDIT: In my normal browser, on this computer, the link goes to regular Kobo store. In the Chrome browser, it goes to the Walmart one.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A, iPad (1st gen)
My guess is that you have a Walmart cookie, after logging in with Walmart, and it defaults to that site. (Only a guess!)

I always end up at the regular Kobo site -- probably because right now I'm logged in -- but I don't have any sort of Walmart login to overcome.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Over here (France), the ordering of the affiliate login button (in our case, Fnac) has moved around over the years. It used to be the default choice at one point, now it appears on the bottom section above FB/Google.

That said, I've never used it, always went through a vanilla Kobo account, so, that's as far as my experiments on that subject went .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I always end up at the regular Kobo site -- probably because right now I'm logged in -- but I don't have any sort of Walmart login to overcome.
I do too, on this browser (my main browser, Pale Moon, which is a Firefox variant). I can't even log out of Kobo's site — I log out and nothing happens, I'm still logged in. I must have told Pale Moon to automatically log me in at Kobo, or something. Not that it bothers me, I can jump to another web browser if I want to log into the Walmart version of the site.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
John F
Wizard

Quote:
That's odd. You're doing this from the Walmart eBook link?

Here's what the full URL is when I follow the link from the Walmart eBook page in Chrome (a browser I never use because Google stopped supporting Chrome for 32-bit Linux a couple years ago).

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebooks/tr...=eBooksCP_page

(EDIT: In my normal browser, on this computer, the link goes to regular Kobo store. In the Chrome browser, it goes to the Walmart one.)
I think we are both seeing the same thing.