Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #76
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Update to version 1.2.0

I have updated the plugin to fix the recent problems. These were caused by several changes to the book details page. I have not done a lot of testing, but it does seem to be working properly now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #77
MegAnne
Enthusiast
MegAnne began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
Is this plugin working for everybody else? In my case, the plugin runs for an appropriate time but no metadata is found.
MegAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegAnne View Post
Is this plugin working for everybody else? In my case, the plugin runs for an appropriate time but no metadata is found.
I discovered while I was porting it to Python 3 that it did not get any results. At first, I thought it was errors n the changes, but when I tested the released version of the plugin with the released version of calibre, it failed in exactly the same way. There were several people in the calibre/Python 3 discussion who basically said they would not update to the Python 3 version of calibre until the plugin was ported, so I asked if it was working for any of them. I had no responses.

I think this stopped working at the end of April. That is based on when the last book I added to my library which has a FictionDB identifier. The book added on 25/04/2020 has the identifier, but, one added on 03/05/2020 does not. Nor do any added later than this.

This was a few weeks ago and haven't returned to it. That is partly due to time, and partly due to the fact I haven't worked out how to solve the problem I found (the site makes heavy use of redirects). And, as no-one seemed to have noticed the plugin had been broken for over five months, I haven't put any importance on working on it. I have been far to busy breaking other plugins.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #79
Donatzsky
Donatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toysDonatzsky shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I get the following error when trying to install version 1.2.0:

Code:
calibre, version 5.2.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
  File "calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 282, in load
  File "importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
  File "calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 181, in exec_module
  File "calibre_plugins.fictiondb.__init__", line 11, in <module>
    from urllib import quote, urlencode
ImportError: cannot import name 'quote' from 'urllib' (/opt/calibre/lib/calibre-extensions/python-lib.bypy.frozen/urllib/__init__.pyc)
Donatzsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 AM   #80
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatzsky View Post
I get the following error when trying to install version 1.2.0:

Code:
calibre, version 5.2.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

File "calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
  File "calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 282, in load
  File "importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
  File "calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 181, in exec_module
    from urllib import quote, urlencode
ImportError: cannot import name 'quote' from 'urllib' (/opt/calibre/lib/calibre-extensions/python-lib.bypy.frozen/urllib/__init__.pyc)
That is to be expected as the plugin has not been ported to Python 3.

But, was it working with the previous version of calibre you were using? See my post immediately before yours.
Advert
Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with plugins like this is that the website can change and then the plugin no longer works properly until it's fixed to handle the website changes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with plugins like this is that the website can change and then the plugin no longer works properly until it's fixed to handle the website changes.
That is an expected problem with using web-scraping. It happens for all the metadata source plugins. But, it isn't the real problem with this plugin. The problem is that the web site changed 5 months ago and nobody noticed.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #83
MegAnne
Enthusiast
MegAnne began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is an expected problem with using web-scraping. It happens for all the metadata source plugins. But, it isn't the real problem with this plugin. The problem is that the web site changed 5 months ago and nobody noticed.
Well, I know why I didn't notice. Weird enough, one of the unexpected consequences of working from home, is that I end working more hours. No time for my library until little ago.
MegAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #84
iamagloworm
Connoisseur
iamagloworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (Manga)
Just wanted to let you know, I am still very appreciative of this plugin and would love to be able to use when it is updated some time in the future. Thanks for creating, sharing and updating!
iamagloworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #85
brianswilson
brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!brianswilson has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Calibre
Exclamation Install error with FictionDB 1.2.0 on Calibre 5.7.0

I received the following error when installing the FictionDB plugin version 1.2.0 on Calibre version 5.7.X:

calibre, version 5.7.0

File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 709, in _install_clicked
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 293, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 192, in exec_module
ImportError: cannot import name 'quote' from 'urllib' (C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\app\bin\python-lib.bypy.frozen\urllib\__init__.pyc)
brianswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #86
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This plugin is abandoned now. First it stopped working in Calibre versions based on python2 (calibre < 5.0). And although it installed fine and did not throw any error, it was useless as it was not downloading any metadata since the site changed, and the plugin was not updated to keep up with these changes.

Consequently, it was not ported to use python3 based calibre versions (calibre5). So in those versions it throws the error you just posted. Porting it to python3 will only stop that error, but the plugin will not function.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
This plugin is abandoned now. First it stopped working in Calibre versions based on python2 (calibre < 5.0). And although it installed fine and did not throw any error, it was useless as it was not downloading any metadata since the site changed, and the plugin was not updated to keep up with these changes.

Consequently, it was not ported to use python3 based calibre versions (calibre5). So in those versions it throws the error you just posted. Porting it to python3 will only stop that error, but the plugin will not function.
Given that this plugin is broken and won't be fixed, I suggest this thread be closed with the last post saying why the thread is closed and in the first post updated to say that this plugin no longer works and is not being updated.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #88
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Given davidfor's recent posts in this tread - e.g. #82, it may a bit premature to say the plugin has been abandoned. The plugin hasn't been maintained because no one complained.

The Viewers just added Read Aloud feature may have prompted users to upgrade to version 5.7, which has lead to the 'flood' of posts about metadata download plugins not working.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #89
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Viewers just added Read Aloud feature may have prompted users to upgrade to version 5.7, which has lead to the 'flood' of posts about metadata download plugins not working.
There's also a mostly-working pre-release version of DeDRM available for Py3 now too. I suspect the user who posted in all of the threads might've upgraded due to that.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Given davidfor's recent posts in this tread - e.g. #82, it may a bit premature to say the plugin has been abandoned. The plugin hasn't been maintained because no one complained.
At this point, I think abandoned is correct. There was no reaction to my post or the other places that I have mentioned it. No one seems to have actually missed it. I'm not very interested in fixing it and would only be doing it for the coding exercise.

If someone wants to look at it, I can post the last version I have. But, the Python 3 changes are very basic. Other than that, the URL used needs to be changed and then work out how to handle the redirects that the site does.