Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
bambuko
Connoisseur
bambuko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Kobo Clara HD
Connecting Kobo ClaraHD to intranet

I need to be able to connect my ClaraHD to intranet (rather than internet).
Normally, when I try to do it, I get the message:
"Unable to join ...."

There is a workround which involves temporarily connecting it to the smartpone hotspot with with the same SSID and Password as desired network to "fool" Kobo.
It kind of works but is not reliable

I tried this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...196&styleid=17
but it didn't make any difference...

There is also a suggestion of forcing wi-fi on using developer settings?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314955
but my searches so far didn't come up with any advice on how to do it?

so... please.
Has anybody got any suggestions?
bambuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
for the webportal trick to work with recent firmware you have to adapt it as described in this post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=16

I'm not sure if the forcewifion can help, I think wifi has to work for that in the first place and then it just disables wifi shutdown
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
bambuko
Connoisseur

@frostschutz
thank you for a quick reply!
I will have a go again
BTW - is it possible to simplify this hack? I only need the wifi part of it...

As for forcewifion - you are probably right.
These are two different problems (although closely connected in my case).
I need to:
1. get it connecting easily and reliably to wifi intranet in the first place.
2. I need for it to remain connected for long time (I have experienced wifi switching off after couple of hours, I guess because of some temporary problem?)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

normally it switches wifi off within 1-2 minutes (probably because wifi is a huge drain on power)

Quote:
BTW - is it possible to simplify this hack?
not really - providing a fake hostname, fake webserver and returning the expected file is already the whole hack, it's running a webserver either way, and if you don't like the webportal functionality you can just remove the index.html and cgi-bin folder yourself.

well, I ought to simplify it in that it should have that setup right out of the box... didn't get around to updating any of my kobo stuff recently, sorry
Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
bambuko
Connoisseur

No need to apologise for anything :-)
I am grateful for your help!
I was just confused by some things and not sure I needed them just for a wi-fi hack.

I might be back with more questions...
Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@bambuko: Upgrade the firmware.

Kobo has changed the checks it does when connecting to WiFi. If you are running recent firmware versions, you won't need to use any hacks. Or at the most, you can do it with a simple addition to the config file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
bambuko
Connoisseur

@davidfor
I am running both kobo mini and kobo Clara HD.
Kobo mini has the latest update possible.
Kobo Clara HD is original, as bought (trying to update right now)
Both of them require gymnastics to get connected to intranet device I use.
As for config file - what is the "simple addition"? please
I would like to use both kobos with wifi, but at the moment mini is playing hard to get and Clara HD kind of works...

Last edited by bambuko; 05-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuko View Post
@davidfor
I am running both kobo mini and kobo Clara HD.
Kobo mini has the latest update possible.
Kobo Clara HD is original as bought.
Both of them require gymnastics to get connected to intraned device I use.
As for config file - what is the "simple addition"? please
I would like to use both kobos with wifi, but at the moment mini is playing hard to get and Clara HD kind of works...
Unless you have a good reason to run old firmware, you should update the Clara HD. And the only reason to run any Kobo device on the factory firmware is because you just did a factory reset and haven't finished updating yet. In fact, the factory firmware is probably the worst firmware choice you could make. Update the firmware and search for "IgnoreCaptivePortal" in the forum.

For the Mini, I assume you mean it is running firmware 3.19.5761. That is the latest released for it. If you are not running that, WiFi probably will not work. But, while Kobo doesn't support them with later firmware, they work. If you look at any recent firmware thread, there is discussion on running the firmware on the Mini. And it works.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
bambuko
Connoisseur

just tried (after updating kobo ClaraHD using wifi connection) to connect to my intranet device - the answer was as per usual:
"unable to join...."

and the version is:
"4.7.10733"

searching for "IgnoreCaptivePortal"

Last edited by bambuko; 05-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
bambuko
Connoisseur

@davidfor
just did sanity check on kobo mini and it is:
"3.19.5761"
wifi works fine, I am just unable to connect to intranet device that I want.

Last edited by bambuko; 05-11-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
just tried (after updating kobo ClaraHD using wifi connection) to connect to my intranet device - the answer was as per usual:
"unable to join...."

and the version is:
"4.7.10733"
That is the factory release firmware. It didn't update when you connected. If it can't update over WiFi, download the firmware and install it manually.
Quote:
@davidfor
just did sanity check on kobo mini and it is:
"3.19.5761"
wifi works fine, I am just unable to connect to intranet device that I want.
If you aren't willing to try the newer firmware, you will need to follow the instructions in the webportal thread you linked to above.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
bambuko
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is the factory release firmware. It didn't update when you connected. If it can't update over WiFi, download the firmware and install it manually.
sorry, my bad
I will try updating Clara again (just searched and it appears it should be 4.14.1277 ??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...If you aren't willing to try the newer firmware, you will need to follow the instructions in the webportal thread you linked to above.
mini has the latest available firmware, so it is not a question of being "willing" ?
or are you suggesting I should try something "newer" on mini?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
or are you suggesting I should try something "newer" on mini?
I don't have a mini but others have reported success

didn't know about the captive portal setting, all the better if that works
Old 05-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
mini has the latest available firmware, so it is not a question of being "willing" ? or are you suggesting I should try something "newer" on mini?
I've installed 4.14.12777 on a Mini. Use the kobo mark 4 firmware package from this link: kobo-update-4.14.12777.zip (same package as the Kobo Glo or Touch C) or see the links on geek1011's page at Kobo Firmware Downloads.

The Mini is not my main ereader but still works.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
bambuko
Connoisseur

OK,
Updated firmware and added IgnoreCaptivePortal line in .conf file on kobo ClaraHD and true enough kobo is happy to join intranet network.
Also did the same update for kobo mini, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.Maybe it was because I was unable to connect to kobo account?
Plus some of the screens got a bit messy (new firmware? or just an old mini?)

All above was while I was connected to kobo account, however...

When I tried the same while not connected to kobo account (I use kobo for gliding) things didn't work and I still had to pair kobo first with hotspot on the smartphone before it now connects happily to my intranet device.
Any attempts to join the device directly failed, despite the fact that kobo was doing it happily while connected to kobo account

Sounds like I will have to ask more questions on gliding software forum.
all who have patiently helped me.

Last edited by bambuko; 05-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.