Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Why are Stephen King ebooks so expensive?

I was looking at some Stephen King ebooks today. A few were reasonable (Different Seasons for example) but some were just outrageous. The Stand for example was published in 1990 and is available in paper for about $8 new. The ebook version is $25 on Fictionwise and about $17 at Sony and Kobo. The Kindle version is $8.09 (but I don't shop for ebooks at Amazon).

How on earth can they justify these prices on 20-year-old mass market paperbacks? All the Grishams came out in the $10 range so why is Stephen King so special? And why is everyone else pricing it so outrageously when the Kindle version is so much cheaper?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Think of it as the "paying for a designer label" concept. Some people will shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a Ferrari or other "exotic" sports car while others think a Kia Rio is just as good because they both do the same thing, take you from point "A" to point "B".

I have only read one book from King, It was his first attempt at a fantasy novel. He is definately a good writer, but there is no way I would pay $17 or $25 for an ebook that can be had for $8 in paperback form, but some will. Like you, I do not have a way to read amazon ebooks on a portable reader.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Because they can. There are people that dont care for SK but I love most of his books... I am almost done with the Dark Tower Series right now...

As for The Stand, I think that is the best book I have ever read
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I believe the reason why some Stephen King ebooks are really expensive is because the ebook is published by Random House, which only has the hardcover and ebook rights (IIRC mass market paperback rights are Pocket Books), and the ebook is priced to match the hardcover. The ebooks that are priced to match the MMPB are all published by the publisher with the MMPB edition.

I bought the expensive ones last year when Fictionwise had one of their 100% micropay rebate sales going on, but I was really tempted to just boycott them. I don't think Random House would have ever noticed if I had.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I believe the reason why some Stephen King ebooks are really expensive is because the ebook is published by Random House, which only has the hardcover and ebook rights (IIRC mass market paperback rights are Pocket Books), and the ebook is priced to match the hardcover.
The paperback rights are mostly split between Pocket & Penguin - Random House has Black House and The Talisman, but I think those are it.

Otherwise, that's essentially correct.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
well, can't argue with $8.09 on Amazon. I wonder why there is such an enormous price difference?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
well, can't argue with $8.09 on Amazon. I wonder why there is such an enormous price difference?
Random House is still on the traditional retail price model for their ebooks.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Random House is still on the traditional retail price model for their ebooks.
More power to them. Amazon actually lowered the price, a few months ago I was looking for The Stand, then it was 12.95 or something. So I just bought it for 8.09.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too bad none of the other stores will match it I have not bought from Amazon yet and won't until someone figures out how to 'liberate' the files using the Kindle for Mac application.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Too bad none of the other stores will match it I have not bought from Amazon yet and won't until someone figures out how to 'liberate' the files using the Kindle for Mac application.
You seem to have the hardware Kindle? Can't the files downloaded with it be liberated on a Mac? Or a file downloaded from the iPod Touch?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard

HansTWN: No. I use a separate US account to download the free books and it is not linked with any of my hardware except the mac and the ipod. I don't know how to get the PID from the mac or ipod and I do not want to link my physical Kindle to that account.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Because they can. There are people that dont care for SK but I love most of his books... I am almost done with the Dark Tower Series right now...

As for The Stand, I think that is the best book I have ever read
I love the The Dark Tower; reading that series was perhaps the most enjoyable time I've ever spent reading.

Have read the series twice so far. Will read it again in about a year or so.

I haven't read The Stand in about 15 years, I've got it on my 'to read again' list. Maybe in the next month or so. It was truly a great book. I really enjoyed Under the Dome as well.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I think Barnes & Noble is price matching Amazon on everything except 'Salem's Lot, which is still $26.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Have you tried WH Smith? at under £7

http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/F028CBBB...D-57C6BDCDFD14
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
tinyblob
tinyblob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Apologies if this is derailing the conversation a little - but i'm desperately looking for Stephen King's Dark Tower series in non-DRM'd ePub. So i can read them on my imported iPad. The WHSmith link above is the first ePub version of them i've seen (added bonus that they're the british ones too!) but i'm guessing they've got the Adobe Digital Editions DRM.

Any ideas?
tinyblob is offline   Reply With Quote