Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Found a cheap AC wall charger

Hi folks,

After some research, I found a cheap charging solution for the PRS-505 which I'd like to share. I assume the same trick will work with any other model.

I just got a charger cable (cable only) for a PSP from Gamestop. The supplied cable has a standard USB connector on one end, and a Sony round connector on the other. The USB end just plugs in to any USB wall charger (I use the one for my iPhone) and the other goes to the wall plug in the reader. Works fine, and costs almost nothing.

The Gamestop cable comes with a USB charger, but you don't even need that if you have a USB charger for a phone or something with a 1 amp output. Like I said, the Apple iPhone charger works.

Total cost was just a few dollars, and I see that Amazon in the US has cables for less than $5.

Sure beats the Sony charger, and the fact that it works with a generic USB charger saves carting around two separate adapters.

Cheers,

Nike

Last edited by nikev; 04-05-2010 at 10:59 PM.
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
Hi folks,

After some research, I found a cheap charging solution for the PRS-505 which I'd like to share. I assume the same trick will work with any other model.

I just got a charger cable (cable only) for a PSP from Gamestop. The supplied cable has a standard USB connector on one end, and a Sony round connector on the other. The USB end just plugs in to any USB wall charger (I use the one for my iPhone) and the other goes to the wall plug in the reader. Works fine, and costs almost nothing.

The Gamestop cable comes with a USB charger, but you don't even need that if you have a USB charger for a phone or something with a 1 amp output. Like I said, the Apple iPhone charger works.

Total cost was just a few dollars, and I see that Amazon in the US has cables for less than $5.

Sure beats the Sony charger, and the fact that it works with a generic USB charger saves carting around two separate adapters.

Cheers,

Nike
Hi:

Nice, I did the same days ago. I bought one of those "Y" cables (3 Euros) with mini usb+PSP tips and I use it with a generic usb wall plug adapter or with the adapter of my laptop, it has a usb output so you don't need to turn on the laptop to charge the reader ( PRS 700).

I wish to add that you can use both tips at the same time, I tested it with my Imate Jamin (usb tip) and the reader (PSP tip).

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
...and since my Reader doesn't like being recharged by USB after the battery goes flat, my Y-cable is a lifesaver!
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that is cheap..I use a psp charger I bought on Ebay for $5, works great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
ommoran
ommoran is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I have also found that the charger for my Creative Zen MP3 player (a standard white Creative charger) will charge the Sony Reader. Both are 5.2v DC.
ommoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
If your PSP charger is not certified (i.e., UL Listed), it could catch fire. So it may not be such a deal.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommoran View Post
I have also found that the charger for my Creative Zen MP3 player (a standard white Creative charger) will charge the Sony Reader. Both are 5.2v DC.
Wow, someone besides me using Creative players! I swap those chargers as well. Works fine.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
Wow, someone besides me using Creative players! I swap those chargers as well. Works fine.
I bought a tip for my iGo car adapter for the PSP and it also works for the Creative Player as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
ommoran
ommoran is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
Yes, I'm not a fan of the iCology of Apple. My Zen MicroPhoto has been a fantastic 4GB HD player for 5 years. Glad the charger works with my new Sony Reader which I hope will give me the same kind of life.
ommoran is offline   Reply With Quote