Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
[M96] Cell standby eating battery (with mobile data disabled, airplane mode on)

Code:
Apps -> Settings -> Battery
shows battery statistics of M96 (FW 2014-10-13_16_36_dev_662747e) and that Cell standby is the leader.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Are these stats reliable? Does this process really consume so much battery?

I have seen some discussions about the subject here before where other users either disabled the data and (non-existent) radio in Android settings or changed the names of the apps in the system that were allegedly responsible for this situation and that "fixed it":

Code:
/system/app/Phone.apk
/system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
Disabling everything in the options did not seem to have any effect on my device (the cell standby is still there) and I have read conflicting opinions whether renaming the apps makes any real difference or not.

Either way seems like a bug that should be addressed by Onyx. The question is whether it's a minor (the stats are incorrect/misleading but the battery is unaffected) or a major (there is an unnecessary process eating up a lot of battery)?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Renaming should work because when the OS goes to run those apps, they won't be found and unable to be run. Try renaming and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Due to my erratic usage patterns of my M96 and at short bursts I may not notice the difference if there is any at all. From what others say after the file rename the Cell standby entry disappears from the battery stats but that may not mean anything.

I would love to hear from a bookworm who uses the device mostly for reading like every evening, sees a considerable proportion of the battery usage taken by Cell standby, renames the files (the file extensions to be exact) so that they don't run any more, and then say, yep, after the file rename I get, say, two weeks of battery life compared with one week before, or nope, it was one week before, and is one week still.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery drain, cell standby