Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The filename is mobipocket.param and you are right that for example the font used is stored there. But you are wrong in your conclusion that it is a problem removing. I just tested to rename it and it was properly recreated and new settings was stored in the new file and everything worked perfectly.

So your problem is something else and as I have said it is probably a corrupt file system so why do you not check this? People have posted how to check it in Windows here and it should be easy to google.
How?

And riddle me this. The \eBooks folder was *EMPTY* - I had problems with the Gen3 remembering my font choices. Then I moved the mobipocket.param file BACK. Suddenly, the Cybook remembers my choices. Note that the Cybook did NOT re-create the mobipocket.param file on its own...

And this is a brand-spanking-new (well, okay, a month old) Cybook! I've done nothing to it but add in a few ebooks and delete a few ebooks. No dropping it on the floor, no sitting on it by mistake, no dunking it in water - nothing at all that could be considered harmful. So when, where, why and how would this 'file system corruption' occur?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
How?

And riddle me this. The \eBooks folder was *EMPTY* - I had problems with the Gen3 remembering my font choices. Then I moved the mobipocket.param file BACK. Suddenly, the Cybook remembers my choices. Note that the Cybook did NOT re-create the mobipocket.param file on its own...

And this is a brand-spanking-new (well, okay, a month old) Cybook! I've done nothing to it but add in a few ebooks and delete a few ebooks. No dropping it on the floor, no sitting on it by mistake, no dunking it in water - nothing at all that could be considered harmful. So when, where, why and how would this 'file system corruption' occur?
Excuse me for coming with good suggestions.

If you know something about debugging programs you know that you have to test things. You can theorize how much you want but often you miss something and you are lead in the wrong direction.

I have confirmed that with a working Cybook it recreates the file. Your file was not recreated so there is a problem and the symptom is that the file was not recreated.

And it is easy to have a theory for your observations (it might be wrong). The cybook tries to create the file. It fails and remounts the file system read only. When you moved the file back maybe you copied it to another place on the file system that worked.

I have once ot twice forgotten to unmount before removing the cable. I assume that can happen for other people also so there is not hard to explain how a file corruption can occur.

Trivial googling give you from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Microsoft equivalent programs are scandisk and chkdsk. In DOS, chkdsk was used to check file system integrity, but later versions also featured a tool called scandisk for checking disk surface for bad sectors. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me featured a version of scandisk which ran natively in the Windows environment. The Windows NT series, including NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista all use a modern, updated version of chkdsk which performs both disk surface and file system scanning, though its disk-surface check is less thorough than scandisk's.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Excuse me for coming with good suggestions.

If you know something about debugging programs you know that you have to test things. You can theorize how much you want but often you miss something and you are lead in the wrong direction.

I have confirmed that with a working Cybook it recreates the file. Your file was not recreated so there is a problem and the symptom is that the file was not recreated.

And it is easy to have a theory for your observations (it might be wrong). The cybook tries to create the file. It fails and remounts the file system read only. When you moved the file back maybe you copied it to another place on the file system that worked.

I have once ot twice forgotten to unmount before removing the cable. I assume that can happen for other people also so there is not hard to explain how a file corruption can occur.

Trivial googling give you from Wikipedia:
First, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked 'How?'

Second, this is *MY* Cybook, not some throwaway I can test to destruction. If it goes down I LOSE my main reading source! So I'm not that willing to just willy-nilly poke and prod until it breaks - unless it's already failed to the point of uselessness as is.

Third, I'm using a WinXP machine and I've never had to 'unmount' the Cybook before unplugging it. Believe me, I've plugged and unplugged the previous one well over 1,000 times and this one over 100 times. What I always do when I'm tranferring book files across, is do the transfer and then clean up the old files I want to remove and then let it sit there soaking up electrons for a good long while.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Deap breath, please fellows, remember tone often doesn't come through well in these forums, so sometimes things read more tersely than they're meant by the writer.

Now back to your very good conversation.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Deap breath, please fellows, remember tone often doesn't come through well in these forums, so sometimes things read more tersely than they're meant by the writer.

Now back to your very good conversation.
I'm not mad at him, just pointing out my view on my Cybook.
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I didn't think you were, y'all just seemed to be talking at crossed purposes, and I was hoping to ... uncross them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is what I did.. I plugged in my 505 and backup all the files accessible on the internal memory. That way if I screw something up, I can restore back to that point. Maybe doing that with the Gen3 would be a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is what I did.. I plugged in my 505 and backup all the files accessible on the internal memory. That way if I screw something up, I can restore back to that point. Maybe doing that with the Gen3 would be a good idea.
Might be. Of course, the update firmware I *HAVE* is build 476. And if my FS *is* corrupted, then backing up now isn't going to do all that much for me. I guess I'll have to suffer through until I get the latest firmware update.

Derek
Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
First, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked 'How?'
OK. It is hard to know peoples knowledge level. Since you have written that you install a lot of program programs and run things in command line interface I had misjudged it. Also if you read this forum it has been described here how to do it.

Quote:
Second, this is *MY* Cybook, not some throwaway I can test to destruction. If it goes down I LOSE my main reading source! So I'm not that willing to just willy-nilly poke and prod until it breaks - unless it's already failed to the point of uselessness as is.
Since you have the firmware reinstallation procedure what do you think can go wrong when you examine the internal disk that cannot be restored by that?

Quote:
Third, I'm using a WinXP machine and I've never had to 'unmount' the Cybook before unplugging it. Believe me, I've plugged and unplugged the previous one well over 1,000 times and this one over 100 times. What I always do when I'm tranferring book files across, is do the transfer and then clean up the old files I want to remove and then let it sit there soaking up electrons for a good long while.
If you have never done "safely remove hardware" then I would expect you files systems to become corrupted. I thought you read these forums and had seen that "unmount" is the same as "safely remove hardware". Letting it sit a long time is no guarantee for correct writing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
OK. It is hard to know peoples knowledge level. Since you have written that you install a lot of program programs and run things in command line interface I had misjudged it. Also if you read this forum it has been described here how to do it.

Since you have the firmware reinstallation procedure what do you think can go wrong when you examine the internal disk that cannot be restored by that?

If you have never done "safely remove hardware" then I would expect you files systems to become corrupted. I thought you read these forums and had seen that "unmount" is the same as "safely remove hardware". Letting it sit a long time is no guarantee for correct writing.
As for the first paragraph... I've been OUT of programming for almost as long as I was IN it. And installing most of the apps I use is a simple, painless - nearly BRAINless process.

As for the second... I've not yet received the latest firmware update - and my firmware I *DO* have is build 476, not 538. Not a good thing.

As for the third... I'm going to presume you're NOT being sarcastic when you ask whether I understood that you meant the same thing using 'unmount' as by 'safely remove hardware'.

Derek