Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #91
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, as an update, I installed Kindle for PC on my wifes laptop and it works just fine, so there is obviously an issue on my PC. I don't have time right now, but I guess I'll see what else I can come up with to get it working on my PC now.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #92
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Well, as an update, I installed Kindle for PC on my wifes laptop and it works just fine, so there is obviously an issue on my PC. I don't have time right now, but I guess I'll see what else I can come up with to get it working on my PC now.
See my post #90. Maybe a start up program is hampering it.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #93
ebookversusbook
ebookversusbook began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX, PC
Lightbulb possible cause to nonfunction of pckindle

Hi there me hearties

First time post on this forum.

I would like share a possible solution to having PCKindle function properly.

1) Make sure you are online via your ISP or WiFi connection.

2) Uninstall older version of PCkindle

3) A small popup window will come up and have Uninstall complete and underneath a checker box is ticked saying deregister PCKindle.

4) Click ok and keep the checker box ticked then you will be taken to your Amazon Kindle - PCKindle management webpage, just keep that open and But do not deregister your PCKindle software.

5) Now that you are still online with the above webpage active you are ready to install the latest PCKindle ver 1.10,

6) click away and the green colored installation bar will appear very quickly and then disappear to the background with no confirmation window popup so you must give it about 2-3 minutes to fully install. Just keep an eye on the LED light of your harddrive on your Desktop or Notebook PC it will fluctuate in brightness but once its low light then assume fully installed.

7) Now comes the test and critical part to see whether the installation has finalised, while you are online with the above open/active Amazon webpage then click the PCKindle icon and you should see a blue colored spinning circle for a minute and then bam the PCKindle Interface/main window will come up then just register the new PCKindle version as usual and then sync your ebooks via PCKindle. All your bought and free ebooks should be available on the main desktop window of PCKindle.

8) Now from my experience nothing worked with re-installation or installation over the old version but once I was online and had that deregister Amazon PCKindle webpage open it worked well. So good luck people and happy ebooking
ebookversusbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #94
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
See my post #90. Maybe a start up program is hampering it.

Carol
that, or a firewall setting ?

revo uninstaller, which you've already used, also has a very useful option for examining / tweaking all start up programs & services
go to tools - autorun manager

as for the post about installing while amazon registration page is open, that sounds more like co-incidence than logic. whys should having a web page open make a difference ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #95
ebookversusbook
ebookversusbook began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX, PC
Well it can't be a coincedence and more importantly it is logical and here is the possible explanation/illustration , The following steps assume that you are online and that the Kindle for PC is installed but the application is closed/not active within Windows!!

Firstly download a free $00.00 Kindle ebook from the Amazon kindle store eg. http://www.amazon.com/Weekly-Menu-Pl...848536&sr=1-40

Secondly make sure you have DELIVER TO to "your name" Kindle for PC then press Buy with one click, thus the transaction goes to a second thank you webpage where a button appears and states GO TO KINDLE FOR PC

Thirdly as you press the above button (remember that the PC Kindle application was closed/inactive at the beginning of these steps), you suddenly see the main window of Kindle for PC appear as well as it downloading/sync the free ebook example.

Fourthly and lastly it appears that the Registering/deregistering Amazon Kindle webpage and the Kindle for PC software are linked in the background and thus possibly it needs to have online access when one is installing or uninstalling the software. Good luck
ebookversusbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #96
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookversusbook View Post
Well it can't be a coincedence ...
Why can't it be?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #97
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookversusbook View Post

Firstly download a free $00.00 Kindle ebook ...

Secondly make sure you have DELIVER TO to "your name" Kindle for PC ..

Thirdly ... you suddenly see the main window of Kindle for PC appear as well as it downloading/sync the free ebook example.
well of course, because when you click that button you authorise the web page to push that file to your PC, for auto-opening.

BUT if your K4PC install is broken, as mine was last week, then that step FAILS. & nothing appears.

All the web page is doing is downloading a .mobi file to your PC, with an instruction to open that file using the default app. ( which should be K4PC).
Having amazon launch K4PC for you, is NOT going fix a broken install!!

your process is no more logical than suggesting that you need to hold the PC upside down or recite abracadabra while you click.

returning to the firewall issue - curiously I see that K4PC is NOT in the list of programs allowed thru my windows 7 firewall, yet my install is working.
I am going to close all active programs & then monitor connections when launching K4pc, then report back

UPDATE - logging allowed connections in peer block...it does some multicasting at launch using IGMP, then continues with UDP TCP stuff.... busy little beast.
(Multicasting allows one computer on the Internet to send content to multiple other computers that have identified themselves as interested in receiving the originating computer's content. )

so it's telling the Amazon world that it's up n running & generally open for business..
anything that screws with this could in theory stop the program from working.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #98
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
that, or a firewall setting ?

revo uninstaller, which you've already used, also has a very useful option for examining / tweaking all start up programs & services
go to tools - autorun manager

as for the post about installing while amazon registration page is open, that sounds more like co-incidence than logic. whys should having a web page open make a difference ?
Hmmm. You may have something. I have not had a problem installing on my computers, but I do disable the Firewall and Anti Virus when installing programs and restart computer after install.

When I installed on my SIL's laptop, I also disabled the Firewall and Anti Virus and restarted computer. When installing on hers, the K4PC opened during the install, but when I restarted the computer and clicked the icon it did nothing. So I went to her start menu and dragged the icon from the recent items to her desktop. That one worked.

In hindsight, on her computer, I wonder if I just didn't wait long enough after clicking the original icon after the install, cause I did notice on mine it took a few seconds to initialize after the first time I clicked on it after installing. Can't say.

Carol
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #99
cybmole
Wizard

check file associations
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

if .azw .azw3 .mobi are not set to kindle that could be affecting things
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #100
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
check file associations
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

if .azw .azw3 .mobi are not set to kindle that could be affecting things
As I said, K4PC is working fine on all the computers I've installed it on.

Hopefully the people who are having problems will have luck with one of the 'fixes'.

Carol
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #101
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, just an update here, at this point I have completely given up. I spent a rather frustrating further 4 hours on the phone with Amazon's tech support that just made me angry. This puts me at a total of 7 hours phone tech support time. At this point I am sure it's something with my computer, but short of a windows 7 reinstall I am at a loss as to where to go from here. I installed KindleforPC on my wifes computer and it works fine. I have repeatedly followed every bit of advice I have found on this thread, Amazon's own discussion forums about the problem, google searches, even trying things on my own. I've cleaned, removed, removed again, deinstalled, deregister, turned off firewalls and anti-virus, searched through countless directories and registry entries, restarted, shut completely down and turned back on, Run as administrator, compatibility modes myself to the point that I have had it. At this point all I can do is wait until there is another update to the software and try again.

I do want to thank everyone here, and other places as well, for the help and advice given to me. For whatever reason, this computer absolutely will not run the KindleforPC app in its current incarnation. My wifes computer runs it fine so I guess I'll just put Calibre on it along with the "tools", download my books there and convert them and then put them on this computer.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #102
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm sorry that K4PC isn't working for you, IcecreamLtDan.

I'm sure you've tried this already, but thought I'd post the link in case it helps: Microsoft Answers: Kindle for PC application has stopped working.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #103
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Works on Windows 8 Pro, but I would prefer font choices? Does anybody know which font it uses, at least it is different to the one used on Kindle. It seems to be a very cold font, I have trouble reading it - not really, I just do not like it. Is there anyway to change the font? I know I will not spend much time on this program unless I can change the font type!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #104
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
Works on Windows 8 Pro, but I would prefer font choices? Does anybody know which font it uses, at least it is different to the one used on Kindle. It seems to be a very cold font, I have trouble reading it - not really, I just do not like it. Is there anyway to change the font? I know I will not spend much time on this program unless I can change the font type!
My guess, the font is Georgia. We need a Sans-serif font. KF8 books may use their own embedded font which you are stuck with.

The Kindle Fonts are not that much better which is why I haven't upgraded to a KT yet. I use a custom font I like much better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #105
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks, I did not know that. I have not really used it that much that is I guess PC 1.10.1 until they change the font type, but I really hate that font!

Yep I use the custom font delicious, and cool reader allows many more choices///??@

Last edited by peter12345; 08-24-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added a(n) extra line
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote