Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #226
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallNHairyDave View Post
The Lurgi from a couple of weeks ago that had me off work for a couple of days may have returned. It's been doing the rounds at work, so it's possible I've caught it off a colleague again.

At the moment it's just hot flushes, aches, tiredness and a bit of a cough. Hoping it doesn't get worse.

Could you send over a nice thermos flask containing honey, lemon juice, whisky and hot water mixed? Does wonders :-)
aw. that sounds pretty unpleasant. i hope it doesn't degenerate. here comes the thermos, ask am to open the window (you should probably stay in bed with plenty of warm blankets right now).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #227
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 3gs
Am's paused from writing episode 14 to pop in and open the bedroom window (I'm in bed with the laptop at the moment).

*flumpf* Nice soft landing for the thermos. Good aim Zelda!

Aaaah. Just right

Thanks
TallNHairyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #228
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Am's paused from writing episode 14 to pop in and open the bedroom window (I'm in bed with the laptop at the moment).

*flumpf* Nice soft landing for the thermos. Good aim Zelda!

Aaaah. Just right

Thanks
i hope it does the trick. now tell am to get back to writing !
Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #229
zelda_pinwheel

(should i mention about the soupe, hot tea, garlic, ginger, etc. treatments now, or do you know all that stuff ?)
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #230
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
At the moment it's just hot flushes, aches, tiredness and a bit of a cough. Hoping it doesn't get worse.
So then, I suppose you can be thankful that at least it's not also abdominal, snowman.

(Thank-you, I'm here all week. Try the Oortwhale burgers).

Cheers,
Marc (Wow, I suck at sympathy )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #231
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 3gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(should i mention about the soupe, hot tea, garlic, ginger, etc. treatments now, or do you know all that stuff ?)
mmm Soup. With garlic in. Even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
So then, I suppose you can be thankful that at least it's not also abdominal, snowman.

Cheers,
*groan*

Thanks Marc, even with the awful pun!
TallNHairyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #232
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Cheers,
pff. not even an offer of a thermos of zany carters ? remind me not to call you the next time *i'm* sick.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #233
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
mmm Soup. With garlic in. Even better
i see you know how it's done.

Quote:
*groan*

Thanks Marc, even with the awful pun!
i'm glad you groaned, i didn't even notice that the first time. so, ah, "*groan*" !
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #234
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
And now... chapter 14!

---

Mr Kipling paced anxiously around his office. He drank tea not even noticing that it tasted almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea. He shouted at his potted fern to get biscuits. He noticed his secretary was wilting a little and watered her. He shouted at the stapler to stop ringing. In short, he fretted. He would call the kitchens and fret vociferously and lengthily at them, but they had taken their phone off the hook, and all his phone seemed to want to do was try to pierce his ear. He thought about going to stationery to get a new stapler, as his appeared to have been removed. Finally, the smell of cooking spotted dick pudding wafted through the building. Mr Kipling stopped pacing, and arranged himself in an expectant pose. After sitting frozen in place for 10 minutes he realised that, just like at home, the smell of tasty food didn’t mean that tasty food was going to immediately appear, so he resumed pacing. A little later, he had just paced past the door as it burst open. The spotted dick pudding was ready.

Chappie used every means he could think of to get to the ICC HQ before it was too late. He had turned his mobile off in frustration at the frequent calls his brother, Laddy, kept making about the amount of money he earned as a doorman and then having the cheek to whinge about some of the people he met. Realising he could cycle quickly there quicker than he could run, he looked around. He saw a fallen branch with which to improvise, and stuck it out in front of a passing cyclist. Hijacking the back, he hot pedalled it towards the ICC HQ, wondering if it would be OK to deliver the mail after he had saved the day.

Back in the teashop the queen of the kingdom of Pinwheel (for it is she) looked first bewildered, then bemused, then downright angry. A small voice told her that it was probably the ICC behind this. The yeti and his companion nodded - they had cornered most of the cake market, after all. Janey wondered if she ought to tell her royal visitor that she had a sock on her shoulder, but decided it was probably just part of the royal eccentricities… especially given that the sock had a safety pin in it.

The bike squealed into the market square near the ICC HQ. Chappie saw a small group of people in ICC insignia, handing what looked like cake out. Deciding that it was far better to go to battle on a full stomach, and ignoring the fact he had already eaten a very full English breakfast earlier, he decided to get a slice. It seemed to be free, which was even better.

“Lefty!”

“Why’re you hissing, Hugo? You sound like an angry snake”

“I’m trying not to be heard!”

“It’s not working - I can hear you”

“I meant by anyone else!”

“Oh right.”

“Lefty - I need your help - my pin is caught on the royal insignia - I can’t get down - and I’m sure at least one person has spotted me”

“I’ll be right up… no… I’ll be left up… no… I’m on my waaaa…”

“That does it! I am off to speak to these scoundrels and demand the return of the recipe forthwith and henceforth before they spark an international incident!”

Janey just nodded. The yeti looked around the shop meaningfully.

“Shop needs guarding” he said.

Janey decided now would be a good time to sit down and have a cuppa.

“You go, the yeti’ll keep an eye on the shop and think up theft-proofing measures, and the rest of us can find a better hiding place.”

—-

Mr Kipling watched the reactions of people trying the samples. It was better than he could have hoped for. He winced slightly as a crazed-looking cyclist nearly cannoned into one of the girls handing the pudding out. He watched, pleased, as the cyclist ‘s face took on a look of pure pleasure. Then frowned as the cyclist looked like he had been hit in the face with a wet haddock and fell over backwards.

“Lefty!”

“Yes Hugo?”

“Stay put. I’ll try and hide up here as best I can”

“OK Hugo”
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #235
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
And now... chapter 14!
woot !!! \o/

Quote:
Chappie used every means he could think of to get to the ICC HQ before it was too late. He had turned his mobile off in frustration at the frequent calls his brother, Laddy, kept making about the amount of money he earned as a doorman and then having the cheek to whinge about some of the people he met.
bonus points for Chappie being Laddy's brother.

Quote:
Realising he could cycle quickly there quicker than he could run, he looked around. He saw a fallen branch with which to improvise, and stuck it out in front of a passing cyclist. Hijacking the back, he hot pedalled it towards the ICC HQ, wondering if it would be OK to deliver the mail after he had saved the day.
this is why i prefer to keep away from cycles.

Quote:
Janey wondered if she ought to tell her royal visitor that she had a sock on her shoulder, but decided it was probably just part of the royal eccentricities… especially given that the sock had a safety pin in it.
i thought royalty didn't have "eccentricities" ? can't they be as barmy as loons and everyone just goes along ? or is that what you mean when you say "eccentricities" in the same sentence as royalty ?

Quote:
He watched, pleased, as the cyclist ‘s face took on a look of pure pleasure. Then frowned as the cyclist looked like he had been hit in the face with a wet haddock and fell over backwards.
hm. is that a reaction of shock and dismay, or something more sinister ?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #236
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oh dear! I hope it wasn't that the free cake TASTED like haddock .... which knocked over the cyclist, I mean.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 10-27-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: too much hand lotion makes for sloppy spelling
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #237
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
this is why i prefer to keep away from cycles.
sensible

Quote:
i thought royalty didn't have "eccentricities" ? can't they be as barmy as loons and everyone just goes along ? or is that what you mean when you say "eccentricities" in the same sentence as royalty ?
That's it exactly. what counts as eccentricities in most people is considered normal in royalty. Socks apparently safety-pinned to shoulders probably goes a bit beyond that

Quote:
hm. is that a reaction of shock and dismay, or something more sinister ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Oh dear! I hope it wasn't that the free cake TASTED like haddock .... which knocked over the cyclist, I mean.
The next episode should be out this later this week (I'm thinking Wed or Thurs, and no, it's not Wed yet, it's techincally still Tues as I haven't gone to bed yet!)
Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #238
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well, hurry up with the next episode, but DO take good care of that nice fuzzy n soft Yeti. Soup, tea, whatever he needs.... Chocolate is usually important too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #239
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, hurry up with the next episode, but DO take good care of that nice fuzzy n soft Yeti. Soup, tea, whatever he needs.... Chocolate is usually important too.
I have it planned, just need to write it! And I am - he's just had a mug of hot choccie, and I'm now off to join him for sleep
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #240
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Janey just nodded. The yeti looked around the shop meaningfully.

“Shop needs guarding” he said.
YSS - Yeti Security Systems. Best protection in the galaxy.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote