Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Help! Powered Down Kindle in Mexico

Well, I just ran into a big problem with my Kindle.

I thought it charged via USB and so I attached it to my computer to do so while traveling in Mexicio. That wiped the battery pretty much completely out.

I don't have the plug in adapter, just the USB cable. And now that it's dead it won't charge at ALL (tried multiple computers with it off, etc... over 48 hrs.)

I have standard iPod stuff (plugins that connect to USB, etc) but I don't really know what to do here... I need the device charged as I have things for work I need to read and Amazon won't ship a charger here (and it'd be too late anyway.) Anyone know any clever way to charge the thing?

Thanks!!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think there is some sort of mass hypnosis or something, this is about the 3rd person today having the prob.

I read at the other posts to get a PSP charger, that it will work. Good Luck!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I thought the PSP charger works for the Sony Reader -- haven't read anything about it working with the Kindle, but perhaps it does.

The I-Go tip A00 works for the Kindle. See http://www.igo.com/product.asp?sku=2621483
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The kindle mas a Mini USB plug to charge / Sync itself right?

Well you could easily find a phone charger for Nokia/HTC/etc which uses a mini usb style plug locally, and use that to charge the Kindle.

Or how about a mains charger with a USB port built in. I've sometimes found that while a device will not charge from a computers USB port, it has no trouble charging from a mains powered USB charger.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I thought the PSP charger works for the Sony Reader -- haven't read anything about it working with the Kindle, but perhaps it does.
It is indeed the Sony - not the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh no! SORRY!

(I'm worthless around here lately...)

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
What you need is a Palm Zire USB cable, it has both the mini USB for syncing and the charging tip all in one cable which then splits into the two tips. I use this exclusively to charge and sync.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh no! SORRY!

(I'm worthless around here lately...)

You tried to help - that's the important thing. It's very easy to get mixed up with these things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on the iGo A00 compatibility list, Palm Tungsten E and Zire 31 and 72 use the same power tip as the Kindle. The only other useful information I have found is an-alternate-kindle-charger which says 5.0V~2A, with 1A probably being enough.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The kindle mas a Mini USB plug to charge / Sync itself right?

Well you could easily find a phone charger for Nokia/HTC/etc which uses a mini usb style plug locally, and use that to charge the Kindle.

Or how about a mains charger with a USB port built in. I've sometimes found that while a device will not charge from a computers USB port, it has no trouble charging from a mains powered USB charger.
I think that the Kindle doesn't really charge itself enough from the USB. It gets a trickle and maybe if you connected your Kindle every night it might keep going for a long enough time. But, when the battery gets too low, it will not charge at all via the USB port and you *must* use the power adapter -- or at least feed power through the power port instead of the mini-USB port on the Kindle.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, unfortunately I *have* to use the main power port (not USB) as it is so dead that the USB simply won't power the device at all.

Sucks about the PSP plug... THAT I have.

I may check out some of the local tech shops, maybe I can find one of these palm chargers. I have something being shipped by Gomadic that uses AA batteries to get the job done but I'm just worried it will take too long to get here. And things going to Mexico have a habit of just not showing up at all.

Thanks for all the help.. sorry I didn't do a more thorough search before posting, but I'm in a limited internet situation.
I will say, however, that before this charging situation.... it was just kicking ass on the trip!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I think that the Kindle doesn't really charge itself enough from the USB. It gets a trickle and maybe if you connected your Kindle every night it might keep going for a long enough time. But, when the battery gets too low, it will not charge at all via the USB port and you *must* use the power adapter -- or at least feed power through the power port instead of the mini-USB port on the Kindle.
Oh, ok.

I was under the impression that like the Gen3 the kindle only had a USB port for charging and sync, and no separate power port.

Is the power port a standard sized one, or is it something very unusual and proprietary?
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Gideon - I purchased my Palm Zire sync/charge cable off of eBay. It is possible to find one in some of the larger Office Supply chains but I have no idea about the availability in Mexico City.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do any of the shops in Mexico sell the iGo products? If so, get the A00 tip as mentioned above. That will work. Then you can charge the Kindle.

When I travel, I never leave without having a proper charger. I don't want to rely on USB only for charging.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote