Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Calibre not seeing Kobo in Windows 10 Preview builds

I've been trying to discover if any Kobo users (Aura HD in particular, but any Kobo) have had problems in the last few builds of Windows 10. Currently, my Kobo is recognized in File Explorer as a drive letter, but is not being seen by Calibre or the Kobo Desktop app.

I've done some extensive testing for drivers, using clean installs of Calibre, etc., to no avail. Users of MobileRead in the Calibre forum have not experienced this.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you followed the directions on how to report what Calibre sees for your device?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
I've been trying to discover if any Kobo users (Aura HD in particular, but any Kobo) have had problems in the last few builds of Windows 10. Currently, my Kobo is recognized in File Explorer as a drive letter, but is not being seen by Calibre or the Kobo Desktop app.

I've done some extensive testing for drivers, using clean installs of Calibre, etc., to no avail. Users of MobileRead in the Calibre forum have not experienced this.
If you are using the Preview builds, that is a known issue. It's been there for the last 7-8 Fast Ring builds and is still there with the 14390 build. It happens on my laptop running Windows 10 as a VMWare virtual machine and on 3 physical machines.

What I see is the external uSD card in my H2O mounts happily but the internal storage shows as a drive letter and when I click on it, I'm asked to insert a disk. Disk Management shows it as a 3.17GB unallocated storage.

I've reported it with each build but so far no feedback as to whether it will be fixed.

Oddly, when I did a factory reset on an Aura HD, it was recognized and updated. After the update/restart, it was no longer recognized.

There was some discussion of this issue in another thread concerning Firmware 3.19.5761 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=155 as a start point.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
iceey
iceey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
same here

I too am having the same issue. Kobo support is no help. I took my computer and Kobo Glo HD to Geek Squad and was told that the Kobo works fine in Windows 8 so he suspects it was a Windows 10 upgrade thing. I had the Kobo Glo before this and it suddenly stopped working (same USB issue) a few months ago so I went out and bought this HD yesterday. Still same issue. I have done all the tech things like uninstall drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled Kobo Desktop, Calibre and ADE, updated all firmware - still not working. I'm at my wits end and ready to give up on Kobo alltogether except there doesn't seem to be a better option in Canada to borrow library books. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
iceey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceey View Post
I too am having the same issue. Kobo support is no help. I took my computer and Kobo Glo HD to Geek Squad and was told that the Kobo works fine in Windows 8 so he suspects it was a Windows 10 upgrade thing. I had the Kobo Glo before this and it suddenly stopped working (same USB issue) a few months ago so I went out and bought this HD yesterday. Still same issue. I have done all the tech things like uninstall drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled Kobo Desktop, Calibre and ADE, updated all firmware - still not working. I'm at my wits end and ready to give up on Kobo alltogether except there doesn't seem to be a better option in Canada to borrow library books. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Are you talking about the released version of Windows 10, or one of the Preview Builds that are around? This thread is actually about the latter.

If you are talking about the released version of Windows 10, I suggest you open a separate thread so that the problems are not confused.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post

Could you please change the title of this thread to make it obvious that you are talking about the Preview builds. I do not believe there are problems with the currently released version of Windows 10, so the distinction is important.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
iceey
iceey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My apologies - I'm having issues on the released version of Windows 10.
iceey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thread renamed to make it obvious that this is about recent preview builds, not the standard consumer release of Windows 10.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thread renamed to make it obvious that this is about recent preview builds, not the standard consumer release of Windows 10.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Windows 10 Preview Build 14393 was released today but still no joy.
Same symptoms as previous builds. OTOH, my iPad now shows it's internal storage with the correct free space/size but when I click on it, no content shows despite mention that that bug had been fixed.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Well, so far Build 14393 has had two cumulative updates released (July 20th and July 25th) bringing the build level to 14393.5. Sadly neither update has fixed the issues I've seen with USB connected Apple and Kobo devices. Given that we have eight days left to the Anniversary release, there is still time for a few more cumulative updates so all hope is not lost.

However, at this point, I would not recommend installing the Anniversary Update when it arrives next Tuesday (Aug 2nd, 2016).
Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly neither update has fixed the issues I've seen with USB connected Apple and Kobo devices.
If it was just Kobo devices that were having the problem I'd be getting really worried that MS had it as a really low priority bug that might get fixed eventually (or might not). If there is a problem with some Apple devices too then at least there is some hope fix. Is suspect there would be a lot more Apple device users who could collectively cause noise than Kobo users.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
With the 14393.5 build, iTunes recognizes my iPhone 5, and it shows up under Devices and Drives as "My iPhone". Calibre does not see it, and of course still does not see the Kobo (W10 sees it as something that needs to be formatted, in line with DNSB's comment about devices with partitioned drives). Interestingly, no problem with my HTC phone, including the phone's memory card.

There are a number of complaints registered on the Feedback Hub (used for those on the Fast Ring for W10) concerning this Kobo problem.

Last edited by beachboybogart; 07-28-2016 at 12:36 PM.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If it was just Kobo devices that were having the problem I'd be getting really worried that MS had it as a really low priority bug that might get fixed eventually (or might not). If there is a problem with some Apple devices too then at least there is some hope fix. Is suspect there would be a lot more Apple device users who could collectively cause noise than Kobo users.
I think it is Kindles too.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have had no issues, I checked my Kobo HD and H20, my PC is always up to date on patches. Good luck.
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote