Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Jeannebj
Jeannebj began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Editing ebook in Calibre

Hi,

I'm having a difficult editing my book ebook in Calibre. I have it in html format, epub and mobi and have tried editing it in both html and epub but am not able to have the book show up for editing.

The book is in the library and when I click edit book, the message that I get on the new screen is "double click a file in the left panel to start editing" but the screen is empty so not sure what they are referring to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much
Jeanne
Jeannebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Try renaming the epub as zip, extract the documents keeping the folder structure, then see eg with notepad what's inside. It should be a sort of HTML code. If not the epub is corrupt.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre's manual page for the editor: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html

There is a screenshot of the editor, do you see the File Browser from that image?

@Ghitulescu -- I think calibre is smart enough to notice when the EPUB is corrupted, and tell you so.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannebj View Post
Hi,

I'm having a difficult editing my book ebook in Calibre. I have it in html format, epub and mobi and have tried editing it in both html and epub but am not able to have the book show up for editing.

The book is in the library and when I click edit book, the message that I get on the new screen is "double click a file in the left panel to start editing" but the screen is empty so not sure what they are referring to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much
Jeanne
@Jeannebj - what did you use to create the book, if a word processor then it may be the best place to start - but we need to know which WP software.

And how did you create the html and epub formats?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannebj View Post
... the message that I get on the new screen is "double click a file in the left panel to start editing" but the screen is empty so not sure what they are referring to.
The "Files Browser" panel should be on the left. If it's missing, try making it appear by checking the appropriate box on the View menu.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
The "Files Browser" panel should be on the left. If it's missing, try making it appear by checking the appropriate box on the View menu.
Be aware that those panes (fie and TOC)can be docked anywhere
OR
Stacked (see red circle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Editor w_tabs.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	141349  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing ebook in calibre