Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
mr0riiz
mr0riiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note:
That description is specific to the K4.
If you get it working on the 5.6.x firmware / devices - please write it up here (or in our own wiki).

If you need to make changes to shell-in-a-box, please use the github clone linked to above.
And post a pull-request at that github repository (I know that the owner is watching it).
I got it working.

I met several problems on the way. The first problem was that i wasn't able to log into the shell on the kindle. Since Peter Vojtek had a kindle 4 with a physical keyboard, he was able to write the username and password used to log into the shell. I wasn't because there was no way to bring up the virtual keyboard on my kindle PW.

This problem was solved by using aningulecha's version of shellinabox, which has a auto-login feature in the URL adress. Link: https://github.com/anilgulecha/shellinabox

Then i added ./kindle.client at the end of /home/kindle/.bashrc file on the raspberry pi-
this will launch the command automatically once you login from the Kindle's browser

Now i can log into the shell without using the kindles Keyboard on anything else than writing in the URL.

The other problem was the one you helped me solve in this thread.

The rest of my problems wasn't Kindle related.

Now it works like a charm. The only thing is that the Kindle sleeps after 10 minutes.

Last edited by mr0riiz; 10-20-2015 at 12:36 PM.
mr0riiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
that keyboard.

Skipstone (hacked browser) has a special button to pull up the keyboard.
In case you needed another incentive...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And you can disable sleep.
Try:
;ds
in the home search bar.

At least I am pretty sure that is "disable sleep" not "disable screensaver" as posted elsewhere here.

If not, then you'll have to do a bit of searching here for what is the "prohibit sleep" thingy.

Sooner or later you will want to jail break your Kindle,
If only to install a different browser than the stock one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
Usodimare
Usodimare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE on K4

Quote:
Yes, I just now did it on my PW-3.

You **WILL** have to jail break the Kindle to install the sshd server (from the USBnetworking package).
Part of the jail break is to allow executable programs on the USB mass storage.
I have uploaded WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE file on topmost directory of my Kindle K4 (S/N B00E....) vers. Kindle 4.1.3 (2692310002) - jailbroken, sshd up - but it does not connect to the WiFi AP unless it (the AP, i mean) is bridged to an active Internet connection.
Any suggestion?
Thank you very much for the support and best regards.
Usodimare.
Usodimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usodimare View Post
I have uploaded WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE file on topmost directory of my Kindle K4 (S/N B00E....) vers. Kindle 4.1.3 (2692310002) - jailbroken, sshd up - but it does not connect to the WiFi AP unless it (the AP, i mean) is bridged to an active Internet connection.
Any suggestion?
Thank you very much for the support and best regards.
Usodimare.
What OS on your PC?

Be sure that the filename does not have any extension, such as: ".txt".

Other than that, this is expected to work on a K4, since it does work on a K3.
(Nothing earlier than K3 has Wifi)
Old 06-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #21
Usodimare

Quote:
What OS on your PC?

Be sure that the filename does not have any extension, such as: ".txt".

Other than that, this is expected to work on a K4, since it does work on a K3.
(Nothing earlier than K3 has Wifi)
Dear Knc1,

thank you for your answer. In effect i have tried repeatedly, the file does not have any extension nor content (0 bytes) nevertheless it does not work.
Or better my Kindle needs the internet connection just for the initial connection to the WiFi AP: once established, it remains connect even though the internet connection drops down.

I went through the /etc/usbnet/config script file and all commands start with "K3": as already mentioned my Kindle is K4, may be there is the problem?

thank you again and best regards

Usodimare
Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
I went through the /etc/usbnet/config script file and all commands start with "K3": as already mentioned my Kindle is K4, may be there is the problem?
- - - -
No.
USBnetworking only provides the USB networking.

It is the way the Kindle detects if it can call home which the file controls. That is provided by the Amazon system.

The K3 was the first Kindle model to offer Wifi -
This:
Quote:
You don't need a rooted Kindle.
In the topmost level of USB storage, create the file named:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
All capitals, no extension, no contents.
Has worked on all models, all firmware versions, since then; except for yours.
So keep looking for something done different from the directions on your device.

You still haven't answered my question about what PC you have.
(The entire world is not limited to using Windows, despite Bill Gates wishes.)
So I can't give you specific directions.

Be sure you are using the USBnetworking package from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Read that first post to learn how to unarchive *.xz archives on your PC, whatever it happens to be.

Read each and every file in that archive that has: "README" as part of its filename.

Disable USB networking (it should not matter, but disable it anyway).
Disable ssh networking over Wifi (it is not enabled by default, but disable it anyway).

Follow the directions to install the proper package (hint, it has: k4 as part of its filename).

Ensure the USB cable is disconnected while trying to install the package.
Ensure that USB networking is disabled while trying to install the package.
Ensure that the USB networking configuration file in visible USB storage still has the default settings as shipped in the archive.

NOTHING installs anything prefixed: k3 into /etc/usbnet/config
(Be certain you are not looking at: /mnt/us/etc/usbnet/config (I.E: the one in visible USB storage.)
Figure out where that came from (prior owner? prior efforts to make it work without a network connection?) Wherever it came from, for whatever reason, fix it.

When all else fails - use Kubrick on the device (the one from the sticky on this forum includes the jb already; others, check with that website for specifics) - update to the current firmware version for the K4 by following the directions on Amazon for updating the K4.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #23
Usodimare

Dear Knc1,

i don't want to bother you but that does not work for my Kindle.
I have tried all your suggestion but no connection.

Quote:
You still haven't answered my question about what PC you have.
(The entire world is not limited to using Windows, despite Bill Gates wishes.)
So I can't give you specific directions.
Kubuntu Zesty 17.04 64bits, kernel vrs. 4.8.0-46-generic.
Kindle SW is 4.1.3, the most recent, according to Amazon.
i' ve update usbnetworking package to 0.57 r. 13408 (28/08/2016)
(and accurately read all README*).

Quote:
NOTHING installs anything prefixed: k3 into /etc/usbnet/config
(Be certain you are not looking at: /mnt/us/etc/usbnet/config (I.E: the one in visible USB storage.)
/etc/usbnet/config? do you mean /usbnet/etc/config?
/mnt/us/etc/usbnet/config? where is it?
The config file i shall check is that on the visible USB storage or not?

Thank you again and best regards,

Usodimare
Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
- - - -
Quote:
- - - -
/etc/usbnet/config? do you mean /usbnet/etc/config?
/mnt/us/etc/usbnet/config? where is it?
- - - -
You are the one that reported that path and you are the one that questioned its contents.
So you tell me what it is that you meant.

Then go back and check everything you have done or not done (that is, the things you intentionally skipped).
So far, yours is the only device that does not follow the known behavior.

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Tags
kindleberry pi, wifi