Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
KoReader!

KoReader is an alternate open-source reader for the Kindle and it improves the Kindle experience dramatically. I have a Voyage (that I got *after* I discovered KoReader) and a PW1. I now consistently choose the PW1 to read over the Voyage.

First KoReader makes my PW1 much easier to read because it allows font-weights (like the Kobo) to enhance the contrast AND it has a much greater font-size range (like the Kobo) and it allows custom fonts (like the Kobo) without that font-hack that's always given me trouble. It also offers night mode (like the Kobo) AND 2-column landscape mode. Kobo's always had the advantage in software features but this puts Kindle on even-footing.

What I discovered is that for me it wasn't the (somewhat) uneven frontlight of the PW1 OR the dpi that was the real problem, it was the contrast and with all of these features, KoReader makes the PW1 actually a more pleasant environment than the Voyage.

The added benefit of KoReader is that it reads epub (and others like djvu) in addition to mobi & pdf. The *reason* that's so good is because the Kindle can't SO the Kindle doesn't *index* these files. No indexing means that the Kindle doesn't slow down as you fill up the storage AND there is no waiting around for hours (and hours) while the Kindle (finally) indexes every word of every book. It also saves a lot of space (I saved more than 25%) when I switched to epub & djvu because of the lack of indexing. In fact, since everything is in epub & djvu , the ONLY thing I have on my Kindle homescreen is the KoReader launcher Kual. I spend 99% of my time in KoReader and almost never see the Kindle homescreen.

Finally, KoReader understands folders so I can dump Amazon's harebrained collections system and simply drag the books into folders using the PC to organize them in folders AND sub-folders. Calibre can be made to understand epub on the Kindle so it can transfer and find those files to make management even easier.

I'm seriously considering returning my Voyage -- not because it's not *the best* e-reader ever -- but because KoReader on the PW1 does such a darned good job. On a PWII, I expect that it would be slightly better (but probably not a lot because of the contrast enhancements KoReader offers). Were I shopping for an e-reader, my *first* choice would be a gently-used PW1. If I wanted a new device, I'd choose the PW2. Jailbroken, I expect the Voyage would be better with KoReader than the PW's but not THAT much better.

If you try KoReader, I think you'll like it. https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
.nvm.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-31-2014 at 09:02 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing, koreader, paperwhite collections, which e-reader