Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warpig View Post
One additional warning for Sigil 0.2.0 users:
Thanks for the warning, Daddy! I hadn't noticed this so far.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixwinter View Post
I'm not sure if it's in the root directory or not..

I've attached a screen shot. It's how the files came out of Sigil for me.

Nix
Shot in the dark: it could be that iTunes isn't syncing a new copy of the ePub, so you have the right info, it's just not on the iPad.

I've screwed around a bit and tried a lot of complicated things, most of which eventually worked, but I also found the easiest solution:

In iTunes, "Get Information" on the eBook and add or change something in the information. Add a grouping, add (or remove) a track number, change the title, paste in artwork, whatever.

As soon as something is changed in that screen, iTunes registers it as changed and it will sync properly the next time.

Good luck!
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #18
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast

Sigil Metadata Made Easy

Assuming your cover image is named "cover.jpg", the Sigil-generated .opf file always includes the following in the manifest (AFAICT):

<item id="cover.jpg" href="Images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

So, you don't have to worry about renaming anything in the manifest or scanning it to find the right id, just paste the following in the "Meta" head:

<meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg"/>

This line should always match the id in the manifest, and will tell iTunes to behave properly.

Save it, copy and paste it, and be sure to re-zip correctly.

Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #19
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Assuming your cover image is named "cover.jpg", the Sigil-generated .opf file always includes the following in the manifest (AFAICT):

<item id="cover.jpg" href="Images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
No, that's not true. I suppose it depends on the way you create your ePub. In my case the id always is img0001.jpg.

So you have to check the manifest before adding the line.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #20
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
No, that's not true. I suppose it depends on the way you create your ePub. In my case the id always is img0001.jpg.

So you have to check the manifest before adding the line.
Actually what he said is true. The ID is created from the filename, and if your cover image filename is "cover.jpg", then Sigil will behave as Warpig said it will.

Either way, it will become a moot point after I add a WYSIWYG option for this later today. You'll be able to right-click an image in the Book Browser and select Add Semantics -> Mark As Cover Image. Sigil will take care of everything else.

Last edited by Valloric; 04-25-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Actually what he said is true. The ID is created from the filename, and if your cover image filename is "cover.jpg", then Sigil will behave as Warpig said it will.
Thanks for correcting me. This is the new way 0.2.0 does it, right? I'm still used to version 0.1, where the first imported image is renamed to img0001.jpg.

Quote:
option for this later today.
That sounds good. Thank you, Valloric!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me. This is the new way 0.2.0 does it, right? I'm still used to version 0.1, where the first imported image is renamed to img0001.jpg.
You're right, your previous statement is correct if you're using 0.1.9. I haven't looked at 0.1.x code in many months now...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Valloric

Quote:
Either way, it will become a moot point after I add a WYSIWYG option for this later today. You'll be able to right-click an image in the Book Browser and select Add Semantics -> Mark As Cover Image. Sigil will take care of everything else.
This is now implemented. See the related dev blog post.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast

Quote:
According to the post, it's going to be released as part of RC1. Any ETA on that?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #25
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
O boy, I've been testing Sigil for many months now, and I wasn't aware of the existence of this blog. It has lots lots of useful information about the functioning of Sigil. Thanks for that, Valloric, but you should more often tell the forum members about your blog. Or was I the only blind one not aware of its existence?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
According to the post, it's going to be released as part of RC1. Any ETA on that?
Hopefully in the next 10 days. If I miss this window, then two weeks after that since I'll have some other duties coming up soon.

Quote:
O boy, I've been testing Sigil for many months now, and I wasn't aware of the existence of this blog. It has lots lots of useful information about the functioning of Sigil. Thanks for that, Valloric, but you should more often tell the forum members about your blog. Or was I the only blind one not aware of its existence?
There a sticky thread in this subforum titled "New Sigil development blog", and the blog is also linked from the project main page... twice.

I don't know how to make it more prominent than that.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #27
mbbraverman
mbbraverman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Similar Problem

Hi - I'm new here and feel fortunate to have found you. My problem is similar: I'm publishing an ePub to Lightning Source and my book (384 pages; some of it not too bad). I used Sigil exclusively and the ePub output passed the Threepress ePub validity check - that is, until I insert a cover and small photo on the last page. The Threepress error message is "missing attribute". What attribute is it looking for? Thanks for any help you can provide.
mbbraverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbraverman View Post
Hi - I'm new here and feel fortunate to have found you. My problem is similar: I'm publishing an ePub to Lightning Source and my book (384 pages; some of it not too bad). I used Sigil exclusively and the ePub output passed the Threepress ePub validity check - that is, until I insert a cover and small photo on the last page. The Threepress error message is "missing attribute". What attribute is it looking for? Thanks for any help you can provide.
It's impossible to help without seeing the epub file.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
mbbraverman
mbbraverman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
It's impossible to help without seeing the epub file.
Thanks, Valloric - how do I upload the ePub file to you?
mbbraverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbraverman View Post
Thanks, Valloric - how do I upload the ePub file to you?
See this page.