Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2024, 02:58 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Preferences - cascading menu

Will I be able to access all Preferences dialogues via this tool, or is it limited to the Toolbars and Shortcuts dialogues.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Will I be able to access all Preferences dialogues via this tool, or is it limited to the Toolbars and Shortcuts dialogues.

BR
Just those 2 via this menu. I added them because they are directly related to what the action does. You can of course open the general preferences dialog via its calibre action, but I don't think that is what you are asking about.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2024, 04:57 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Preferences - cascading menu

You're right.
  • I can access Look & feel and Searching by right clicking relevant icons in the status bar:
  • I can access Add your your own columns via the header context menu,
  • I can access Get plugins to enhance calibre via the Preferences drop down menu
  • Now, via this tool I'll have access to two more: Toolbars & menus and Shortcuts.
A cascading menu in Preferences would be better than ad-hoc back doors, it would not replace the icon grid… or the existing back doors. And it could probably be cherry picked by Favourites.

Code:
Interface
   Look & feel
   . . . 
   Searching
. . .
Advanced
    Plugins
   . . .
   Template functions
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-18-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:58 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BetterRed:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	206454

They show wherever the preference menu can show. This example show it them in the main context menu.

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	206455

They are bog-standard menu items that should be visible whereever you want. I know they work in Favorites and Action Chains. This also lets you can assign a shortcut to individual preference dialogs.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@BetterRed:
Attachment 206454

They show wherever the preference menu can show. This example show it them in the main context menu.
Attachment 206455

They are bog-standard menu items that should be visible whereever you want. I know they work in Favorites and Action Chains. This also lets you can assign a shortcut to individual preference dialogs.
恭喜发财, Magnifique, Wunderbar, Bellissimo - break out the champers.

BR
Advert
Old 02-19-2024, 07:40 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BetterRed:
Attachment 206454
Can't see the Restart in debug mode action

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-20 111909.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	206461

And we lack a Restart in debug mode with no plugins action.

why not have Restart in here and scrap the separate Restart tool

Or put Restart in debug, Restart with no plugins and Restart in debug mode with no plugins as drop down actions in the Restart tool.

At the moment it's a bit belt and braces with no buckle

BR
Old 02-20-2024, 12:54 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can't see the Restart in debug mode action

Attachment 206461

And we lack a Restart in debug mode with no plugins action.

why not have Restart in here and scrap the separate Restart tool

Or put Restart in debug, Restart with no plugins and Restart in debug mode with no plugins as drop down actions in the Restart tool.

At the moment it's a bit belt and braces with no buckle

BR
It shows all the actions that can be put on a toolbar/menu etc. It doesn't show everything available within actions, for example submenu operations within Preferences you reference. It doesn't show everything that can have a keyboard shortcut, for example the operations in the Tag browser configuration menu.

Moving all the restart stuff to be in Restart instead of Preferences wouldn't change what shows.

Last edited by chaley; 02-20-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:28 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
It shows all the actions that can be put on a toolbar/menu etc. It doesn't show everything available within actions, for example submenu operations within Preferences you reference. It doesn't show everything that can have a keyboard shortcut, for example the operations in the Tag browser configuration menu.

Moving all the restart stuff to be in Restart instead of Preferences wouldn't change what shows.
I'm confused, I never mentioned keyboard shortcuts, or the new All GUI actions tool. Might be best if I move our posts referring to Preferences menu cascade into a separate thread.

This is what I currently see in the Preferences drop down:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-20 182736.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	206470

This is what you posted

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	206471

Restart in Debug mode is missing in your screen shot.

Restart Options

We have two restart options in the Preferences tool drop down menu, Restart in debug mode and Restart ignoring third party plugins, and we have the single action Restart tool.

I suggest the Restart action be moved into the Preferences drop down with the other two Restart actions and the separate Restart tool be scrapped, OR move the two Restart options in Preferences into a drop down on the Restart tool.

If I were my decision I would choose the first option because I think it would create less "where did the Restart options go" complaints.

This is a calibre-debug issue - on a number of occasions I've wanted to run calibre in debug with no third party plugins, the way I've been doing it is to run a fresh install of portable in debug.

If calibre-debug had a --ignore-plugins option we could have a another Restart option - Restart in debug mode ignoring third party plugins.

Running a fresh install of portable in debug with no plugins installed is not quite the same even if I copy my 'install' preferences into calibre portable.

BR
Old 02-20-2024, 04:04 AM   #9
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
At first, deleting a User Action seems... audacious. It wouldn't cause a problem, but that's the feeling I have about deleting a built-in action.
So, I add to moved the two debugging restart options to the "Restart" Action. It always seemed strange to me that it should appear here and not in the action (but now that we're working around).

But now that I think about it: why are the two debugging restart options in the "Preference" menu? Because we need these two options to be easily accessible by all users. And since "Preference" is mandatory in the interface and "Restart" isn't, it makes sense to put them there.

Conclusion:
It would be better to add normal restart to the "Preference" menu and possibly delete the "Restart" Action.
The problem will be to migrate the keyboard shortcut if possible or without creating a duplicate.

... In fact, we're faced with a Legacy debate: we're paying for an old decision, and any changes will certainly lead to a compatibility breakdown. Not very serious, but still, not so simple.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:57 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm confused, I never mentioned keyboard shortcuts, or the new All GUI actions tool. Might be best if I move our posts referring to Preferences menu cascade into a separate thread.

Restart in Debug mode is missing in your screen shot.
Because I am *already* in debug mode. You should run the actual code to see what happens in your case.
Quote:
Restart Options

We have two restart options in the Preferences tool drop down menu, Restart in debug mode and Restart ignoring third party plugins, and we have the single action Restart tool.

I suggest the Restart action be moved into the Preferences drop down with the other two Restart actions and the separate Restart tool be scrapped, OR move the two Restart options in Preferences into a drop down on the Restart tool.

If I were my decision I would choose the first option because I think it would create less "where did the Restart options go" complaints.
I am not getting into a discussion about moving stuff around between actions or removing actions. If you want such things, make an enhancement request and Kovid will decide.
Quote:
This is a calibre-debug issue - on a number of occasions I've wanted to run calibre in debug with no third party plugins, the way I've been doing it is to run a fresh install of portable in debug.

If calibre-debug had a --ignore-plugins option we could have a another Restart option - Restart in debug mode ignoring third party plugins.

Running a fresh install of portable in debug with no plugins installed is not quite the same even if I copy my 'install' preferences into calibre portable.

BR
Same as above: if you want to change the existing actions or, in this case, the CLI, make an enhancement request.

Last edited by chaley; 02-20-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:03 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
At first, deleting a User Action seems... audacious. It wouldn't cause a problem, but that's the feeling I have about deleting a built-in action.
So, I add to moved the two debugging restart options to the "Restart" Action. It always seemed strange to me that it should appear here and not in the action (but now that we're working around).

But now that I think about it: why are the two debugging restart options in the "Preference" menu? Because we need these two options to be easily accessible by all users. And since "Preference" is mandatory in the interface and "Restart" isn't, it makes sense to put them there.

Conclusion:
It would be better to add normal restart to the "Preference" menu and possibly delete the "Restart" Action.
The problem will be to migrate the keyboard shortcut if possible or without creating a duplicate.

... In fact, we're faced with a Legacy debate: we're paying for an old decision, and any changes will certainly lead to a compatibility breakdown. Not very serious, but still, not so simple.
Deleting an action is serious. It breaks muscle memory and discoverability. It can break Shortcuts, Action Chains and Favorites. If the deleted action is on the tool bar then the tool bar visually changes, with actions after the deleted one moving left.

I don't know what Kovid would do with a PR that makes these changes. I suspect he would reject deleting the Restart action, but that he would accept adding a dropdown menu to it as long as the basic Restart action is cloned onto the menu.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I don't know what Kovid would do with a PR that makes these changes. I suspect he would reject deleting the Restart action, but that he would accept adding a dropdown menu to it as long as the basic Restart action is cloned onto the menu.
Definitely not willing to delete the action.

@BR: If you want to run the GUI in debug mode while ignoring plugins you can do:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main(['calibre', '--ignore-plugins'])"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:47 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Definitely not willing to delete the action.

@BR: If you want to run the GUI in debug mode while ignoring plugins you can do:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main(['calibre', '--ignore-plugins'])"
Thanks

Create catalogue is available a tool in its own right (with a short cut) and as a Convert books drop down action (with no shortcut). viz:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-21 092600.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	206481

Could Restart be similarly available in two places?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-20-2024 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:53 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Create catalogue is available a tool in its own right (with a short cut) and as a Convert books drop down action (with no shortcut). viz:

Attachment 206481

Could Restart be similarly available in two places?

BR
I think it is possible, especially given that the new All GUI Actions offers "Restart" as a menu option.

Make an enhancement request and it will be considered. The questions to be answered: where and why?