Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-07-2024, 09:24 AM   #1
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
Full Text Service (FTS) - request

Really love FTS BUT would welcome FTS returns to show the number of citations of the search term per book as this would show most relevant books to view rather than current position of just showing one. Or alternatively an option to choose 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 returns per book. Is this possible?
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, sadly the FTS engine only tracks a single match per document (book format). You can open the book in the viewer and see th enumber of matches.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 10:18 AM   #3
Yarrow
Enthusiast

Thanks Kovid. I thought that if it was possible to have more than one match shown or the number of matches per book it would help deciding which books to go to to search further. I have a large library and sometimes get 30+ books returned and it's hard to choose which ones to view. Not Grumbling as a total fan of Calibre and the FTS option. Really grateful for your work over many years on Calibre.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, I can see your use case, however it's simply not supported by the underlying engine. It could theoretically be implemented by writing a custom SQLITE FTS5 extension function, but that's rather a lot of work to implement. Maybe someday when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:20 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I would find this useful as well. (I think I might've actually requested it once.)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2024, 11:03 AM   #6
Yarrow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, I can see your use case, however it's simply not supported by the underlying engine. It could theoretically be implemented by writing a custom SQLITE FTS5 extension function, but that's rather a lot of work to implement. Maybe someday when I have the time.
Many thanks for thinking about doing this. I know how busy you must be.

By the way, love Mumbai. My son was working there for a few years and we went to see him a few times. He lived in Bandra West.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:06 AM   #7
Yarrow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Old 02-08-2024, 11:07 AM   #8
Yarrow
Enthusiast

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I would find this useful as well. (I think I might've actually requested it once.)
Old 02-09-2024, 01:34 PM   #9
Yarrow
Enthusiast

An alternative approach would be to use an 'AI engine' to interrogate a calibre library. Just noticed that the IOS app Evernote is offering users the option to search with AI - whatever that means in this context.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:18 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarrow View Post
An alternative approach would be to use an 'AI engine' to interrogate a calibre library. Just noticed that the IOS app Evernote is offering users the option to search with AI - whatever that means in this context.
Daft approach.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:40 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you have the money to spare...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:13 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Maybe this would be of interest, it's on my list of things to look at ==>> Open Semantic Search

For the past decade or so I've used Windows Search and X1 to content search calibre libraries. And, since its release in 2016, in conjunction with the Drop Search Results calibre plugin.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-09-2024 at 06:59 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fts, search