Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2024, 03:03 PM   #1
bolzak
bolzak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Moving Library to Cloud Drive

I've been using calibre for over 15 years and am astonished at the level of complexity this app has. I have been using calibre on windows for most of the time. I store my library on my microsoft onedrive so I can access my books with calibre go app. I've since moved to Linux Mint and am trying to replicate my windows capabilities. I've got calibre up and running however, whenever I try to open the library from onedrive, I get a database corruption error do I want to fix it. I've tried without success to correct this issue. When I try to create a blank library on any cloud drive (google or onedrive) I get the same error message.

I would like to get this resolved so I can continue to use calibre go to access my library remotely.

Thanks in advance for help.

Bill
bolzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Do a search for the multiple warnings about not putting your library on a cloud drive. Sooner or later you will have issues. With Google Drive, the errors will be immediate since Google Drive uses (numbers) at the end of names for revisions while calibre uses that for the book's internal ID.

See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs and SQLite Over a Network, Caveats and Considerations on the SQLite website for more information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2024, 07:00 PM   #3
bolzak

I understand the potential problems, but I've had my calibre library on microsoft onedrive for several years without a single problem. Before that, I had it on my Google drive for many years without any problems. Again, most of the time this was using windows rather than linux. Could there be a difference between the two versions?

How else can I have access to my library if I'm not at home with calibre running?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:10 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know your post is very much the same as a lot of other posts about issues with calibre and network storage: "It worked for such a long time and now it's broken." Though I do have to wonder how you managed to get it to work on Google Drive since the one time I tested that, my test cloud library corrupted in 15 minutes.

The advice you will get is to use calibre with a local copy of the library and then do a backup to the cloud storage of your choice. Most of the sync software you can use allows for a differential backup so only the changes get copied for speed.

And yes, the network stacks in Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. are all very different though trying to achieve the same ends.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:46 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The responders have over a thousand cumulative Calibre years.
The FAQ is written by the developer.
Yet you are willing to ignore all this advice

The standard answer is WHEN, not if.

(And I am puzzled on how you did not trip the Google drive issue. You must have never changed the metadata of a book once it landed)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 05:12 PM   #6
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Beyond all the recommendations made.
I have to mention that Calibre-go is an application that has not been updated since 2017. It is not a problem with your calibre but with the application, if you have recently updated your cell phone or tablet.
I'm telling you this because I translated calibre-go into Spanish at the time and now I use caliber sync
dunhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:41 PM   #7
bolzak

I am willing to concede to that I need to change my calibre library location. I'm trying to determine the best way to replicate what I've been doing in the past. I manage my calibre library from my laptop, copy books to my readers, but have been using Calibre-go to access my library from my Onedrive so I can send other books to my reader without having to fire up my laptop.

How would you suggest I accomplish this the best?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2024, 06:52 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolzak View Post
How would you suggest I accomplish this the best?
I would suggest using your calibre library locally. When you close calibre, use a program to do a one way synchronization of your local library to the cloud location.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:01 PM   #9
bolzak

I've been working on that, but I would like a nice gui app on my tablet to see the books, read the synopsis and then email the selected book to my reader. Calibre-go was very good at this.

What would be the most straight forward option to replicate this?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2024, 07:14 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Calibre Sync.

https://calibresync.bitbucket.io/

https://calibresync.bitbucket.io/int...send-to-kindle

bernie
Quote:
I've been working on that, but I would like a nice gui app on my tablet to see the books, read the synopsis and then email the selected book to my reader. Calibre-go was very good at this.

Thanks!

Last edited by gbm; 02-08-2024 at 07:17 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:28 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

Thanks!
Basically what I suggested. Just that the library that Calibre-go will look at is a copy of your calibre library instead of your working library.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I understand the potential problems, but I've had my calibre library on microsoft onedrive for several years without a single problem. Before that, I had it on my Google drive for many years without any problems. Again, most of the time this was using windows rather than linux. Could there be a difference between the two versions?

How else can I have access to my library if I'm not at home with calibre running?

Thanks.
A 1TB external SSD drive would do. That way you can take it with you and access your libraries from your laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #13
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre sync post#6
Old 02-09-2024, 11:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Calibre sync post#6
How does Calibre Sync copy your libraries to your could service?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:51 PM   #15
dunhill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does Calibre Sync copy your libraries to your could service?
Calibre sync does not copy it to your cloud service.
Each person must create a folder with the library files in the cloud and calibre sync pulls it from it.