Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #16
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
A very clever pseudonym. No one would have ever guessed they were the same person. (I supposed that was the point...)
JDC even proposed to use Carr Dickson, but his publisher wouldn't have it...

My 2cts: try Clayton Rawson (The Great Merlini, Don Diavolo Mysteries). Rawson and Carr were acquainted and pushed each other into writing the best Locked Room mysteries.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:49 PM   #17
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It's strange how self-referential locked room mysteries can get.

I recently read The Honjin Murders by Seishi Yokomizo, a Japanese novel first published in 1946, and that also references prior examples, including Carr and The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

It was good, but maybe a bit over-the-top, as locked rooms often are.
It felt odd to me as well. I particularly disliked all the teasing from the author that constantly mentioned that the reader was given every detail to solve the case, then at the end he went and pulled the most extraordinary solution possible. Map was a nice touch, though. I always love books with maps.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2024, 09:41 PM   #18
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
H. Beam Piper's _Murder in the Gunroom_ is quite good, and has a great version here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122195
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #19
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
It felt odd to me as well. I particularly disliked all the teasing from the author that constantly mentioned that the reader was given every detail to solve the case, then at the end he went and pulled the most extraordinary solution possible. Map was a nice touch, though. I always love books with maps.
Have you seen the old Dell Mapback Mysteries? They were just like what they sound -- there was a map on the back cover.

The Mystery Scene website has an article on them here.

They were from the 1940s and 1950s, but you can find reasonably priced copies of at least some of them. I had one of them (it might still be hiding in the basement), and the covers were fairly sturdy.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I particularly disliked all the teasing from the author that constantly mentioned that the reader was given every detail to solve the case
Something that J D Carr did in every single one of his that I read, if I recall correctly.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2024, 07:40 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I suspect that was part of his homage to earlier golden era books, especially the first Ellery Queens, where there'd be an explicit stop to say that the reader had all the evidence and was in a position to solve the mystery before the reveal.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote