Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2023, 02:47 PM   #1
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
MobileRead Users 2024 TBR Reduction Challenge

The MobileRead Users 2024 TBR Reduction Challenge is now live on StoryGraph!

RULES (that you can completely ignore if you want!):
  1. The book only has to make sense to you to fit into the topic for that month. If you can justify it to yourself, go for it! There are two alternatives for each month, so you have some freedom to clear out that TBR!
  2. The book should be on your TBR as we are trying to reduce TBRs, not pick new things.
  3. Books can be read in any order! The monthly themes are there as an aid to picking TBR books, but if you want to read something from the October prompt in March - go for it!
  4. Anything goes – fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, collected comics, and anything else I haven’t thought of.
  5. Have fun! Feel free to invite another user for a buddy read if they post something interesting.

Remember - if you would like to see what books others have added to the challenge, just enter the challenge and click on the month title and it will show you all books added, with yours at the top. You add books the same way - go to the month, and you will be taken to a page where you can add books to that month's challenge.

2024 TBR Reduction Categories

January
  • The Leftovers – A book you wanted read least year that you just didn't get around to reading.
  • ALTERNATIVE: Beginnings - start a new series, new to you author, or book that you got for the holidays (something new to your TBR).

February
  • St. Valentines - A book by an author you love or a genre you love. Bonus if it is shorter for the shortest month of the year.
  • ALTERNATIVE: Read the shortest/smallest book on your TBR, irrespective of any other topic.

March
  • Ides of March – A historical or epic book, bonus if it is related to ancient Rome.
  • ALTERNATIVE: St. Patrick’s – A book that can in some way be associated with “green.” Bonus if it is related to St. Patrick or Ireland in some way.

April
  • April Showers - a book about rain, weather, spring, or some kind of new blossoming
  • ALTERNATIVE: April Fools - read the silliest or most foolish book on your TBR. Can be the title, subject, cover or just your perception that it being on your TBR list at all is silly.

May
  • Ovid's May - Ovid tells us the month of May was named for the maiores, Latin for "elders." Read something old, or a book about something or someone old.
  • ALTERNATIVE - May Day! - a book that you think you might bail out on, or a book about emergencies, panics or escapes.

June
  • Beached - read a book about the ocean, maritime life, coasts, or something sea-related. Bonus if it’s also fishy in some way.
  • ALTERNATIVE: Fixed or Broken - read a book about things/people/places/galaxies being fixed and/or broken.

July
  • Independents – A book you got via your local indie bookseller or bought used. Library loans count too!
  • ALTERNATIVE - Recommendation - that you put on your TBR at someone else's recommendation.

August
  • When I Grow Up - a fiction or nonfiction title about a career you dreamed of as a child. Can also be about a common career even if you had no interest in it. Bonus if you went into that career!
  • ALTERNATIVE - Back to School - a book from your TBR that has something to do with schools, education (or something you bought to educate yourself about something)

September
  • Shorter Days - a book with a one-word title or a collection of short stories or a short drama.
  • ALTERNATIVE - Autumn - read a book from your TBR that is wholly or partially set in or about the fall season or an associated holiday/event.

October
  • Masks - a book about people wearing masks, hiding, or masquerading as something they are not.
  • ALTERNATIVE – Treats (no tricks!) – use this as a free space to read anything at all from your TBR (including something you might have treated yourself to this year).

November
  • Indigenous - read a book from your TBR by, about, or telling the story of an indigenous population. Bonus if it is someone/something from your own country's history.
  • ALTERNATIVE – Families – a book about families (real or imagined, inherited or found)

December
  • Endings – Finish a book or series that has been lingering for a long time.
  • ALTERNATIVE: Gifted – a book about something or someone who is gifted (in any sense of the word) or a book you were gifted.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 12-03-2023 at 02:55 PM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm in!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
LOVE the "May" alternative, nice wordplay
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we have a new July? There is no way I can buy an eBook at a local indie shop or buy a used eBook.

I have no alternative for July. So if July is changed, I can add a book. No challenge should I have pBook only section.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-03-2023 at 04:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:50 PM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we have a new July? There is no way I can buy an eBook at a local indie shop or buy a used eBook.

I have no alternative for July. So if July is changed, I can add a book. No challenge should I have pBook only section.
Jon,

The rules are clear - you don't have to follow them Add whatever you want for that month.
Advert
Old 12-03-2023, 05:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Jon,

The rules are clear - you don't have to follow them Add whatever you want for that month.
Quote:
1. The book only has to make sense to you to fit into the topic for that month.
I don't have any eBooks that fit the topic or even make sense to me to fit the topic. I'd like to follow the topic. Thus, I'd like to have a topic I can follow.

I don't read pBooks so no used or local indie and I don't have any eBook (at present) that was recommended by someone else.

An arbitrary eBook doesn't make any sense so I have no eBooks that fit July.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-03-2023 at 06:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:31 AM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Jon, an ebook from a library would also count
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:34 AM   #8
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It feels a bit strange that I can fill November with "Asterix and the Goths"
Old 12-04-2023, 03:38 AM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Jon,

In honour of your profession, I prefer to see it as an opportunity to strain the semantic gnat by looking for the most tenuous link imaginable between my choices and the 'rules'
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:40 AM   #10
rantanplan
Guru

How far ahead do I need to fill out all entries for the challenge? If I can use the July spot for a library book, I'd love to be able to decide on a whim.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:56 AM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
How far ahead do I need to fill out all entries for the challenge? If I can use the July spot for a library book, I'd love to be able to decide on a whim.
You can add to or nfrom the challenge at any time. For example, someone could change their entry in the 2023 challenge on December 31, 2023 if they wanted.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I typically do not keep a TBR stack around, however lately I have had one. My goal is to eliminate it, something that seems to have iluded me in 2023.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:18 AM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm in again!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #14
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

I absolutely love looking at the books already added and trying to figure out which ones of you added them.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #15
rantanplan
Guru

I'm trying to fit in a book by Haruki Murakami in there somewhere, but I don't want to use my joker.

It could be in April, June or October. Any suggestions? I know I can just ignore all the rules, but I found the prompts inspiring so far.

Last edited by rantanplan; 12-04-2023 at 12:04 PM.