Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
BiloKranks
BiloKranks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Won't Convert - Can't Open Error

Recently Calibre stopped converting files. I am being told it was unable to open database files.

I have updated to most recent version of Calibre, and also restored my library in hopes of solving the problem. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the error code in detail:

calibre, version 3.15.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>CantOpenError</b>:CantOpenError: unable to open database file

calibre 3.15 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-17.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '17.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 17.3.0: Thu Nov 9 18:09:22 PST 2017; root:xnu-4570.31.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.12
OSX: ('10.13.2', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/single.py", line 288, in accept
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/metadata.py", line 259, in pre_commit_check
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1101, in set_field
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1036, in mark_as_dirty
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1029, in update_last_modified
File "site-packages/calibre/db/write.py", line 544, in set_books
File "site-packages/calibre/db/write.py", line 197, in one_one_in_books
File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 856, in executemany
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
BiloKranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
BiloKranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloKranks View Post
Recently Calibre stopped converting files. I am being told it was unable to open database files.

I have updated to most recent version of Calibre, and also restored my library in hopes of solving the problem. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the error code in detail:

calibre, version 3.15.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>CantOpenError</b>:CantOpenError: unable to open database file

calibre 3.15 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-17.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '17.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 17.3.0: Thu Nov 9 18:09:22 PST 2017; root:xnu-4570.31.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.12
OSX: ('10.13.2', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/single.py", line 288, in accept
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/metadata.py", line 259, in pre_commit_check
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1101, in set_field
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1036, in mark_as_dirty
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1029, in update_last_modified
File "site-packages/calibre/db/write.py", line 197, in one_one_in_books

I'm sorry, I didn't see the "How to ask question about conversion problems" post.

I am trying to convert into .MOBI or .PDF. I have tried with multiple files over multiple conversion formats. No conversion alterations from default.
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It means Exactly what it says.
The Library is inaccessible (blocked?) A/V?
Is your Library on a Local (mounted) HD (thumb drive)?
Is it RWX (n77) ? You can't have any write-create restrictions (No CD/DVD) Remember that copying from those leaves the file write protected. a CHMOD is needed to restore write
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most likely your antivirus is blocking calibre from accessing the library database. Disable the antivirus or exclude the library folder from it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
BiloKranks

Thanks for the prompt reply, guys. I'm sorry I am a little slow and dim with this tech stuff.

I don't have antivirus on this Mac. Also, the library is too large (big reader) so it had to be put on an external hard drive since its a Macbook air with limited storage. The library has been there for quite some time and no problems with conversion before.

I don't know what RWX n77 is or a CHMOD

I can try to answer questions as best I can tho. Thank you again for the assistance.
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If its not antivirus the other possibility is permissions problems. Try opening terminal.app and running the following command:

chmod -R a+rw /path/to/your/calibre/library/folder
Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
BiloKranks

after finding the path to the folder, i copied and pasted

chmod -R a+rw /volumes/harddrive/calibrelibrary

terminal responded with "No such file or directory".

i can't alter metadata either, i imagine its due to the same issue. its a bit confusing, i've been using calibre for years and it just popped up recently.

when changing metadata, i get:

calibre, version 3.15.0
ERROR: Failed to set data: Could not set data, click Show Details to see why.

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/library/models.py", line 1091, in setData
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/library/models.py", line 1166, in _set_data
File "site-packages/calibre/db/legacy.py", line 441, in set
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1092, in set_field
File "site-packages/calibre/db/write.py", line 407, in many_many
File "site-packages/calibre/db/write.py", line 290, in change_case
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use quotes around the path in the terminal command
Old 01-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
BiloKranks

chmod -R a+rw “/Volumes/hard drive/calibre library”

still no such file or directory. is it because of the spaces in folder/volume names?
Old 01-25-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use straight quotes, not curly ones. The quotes will allow the spaces to work.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:12 AM   #11
BiloKranks

may be a dumb question, but can you demonstrate? I don't know what straight quotes are.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
may be a dumb question, but can you demonstrate? I don't know what straight quotes are.
"These are straight quotes".

“These are curly quotes”
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #13
BiloKranks

i tried with straight quotes and curly quotes.. neither worked for me. i may just be too dense to pull this off :/

i don't even know how to make straight quotes so i just copied from the last message.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
i tried with straight quotes and curly quotes.. neither worked for me. i may just be too dense to pull this off :/

i don't even know how to make straight quotes so i just copied from the last message.
straight quotes are the ones on the keycaps. if you're typing in terminal there should be no auto-correction to curly caps. Don't type in Word or Pages and then copy/paste to terminal.

Do you have your external hard disk plugged in?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Are you logged in as an Administrator or a User?

Run the cmd in post #6 as Administrator.

Code:
sudo chmod -R a+rw /path/to/your/calibre/library/folder
bernie

Quote:

gbm is offline   Reply With Quote