Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
bawldiggle
anything is possible
bawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Angry Cannot disconnect Kobo from PC

I use a mains powered hub to connect various USB devices to my Toshiba laptop ...
  1. WD self powered HD
  2. Kobo Aura HD
Ejected Kobo in "Kobo DeskTop"
Closed "Kobo Desktop"

Windows Safely Remove would not allow either device to be disconnected.
Forced shutdown.

Unplugged both devices.
Cold booted PC
Connected USB HD
System locked up.
Forced shut down

Since installing Kobo Desktop, ClipX-Clipboard extender (I have been using for 10+ years) is disabled, works Ok if Kobo is closed.

Looks like Kobo Desktop is a disaster.
Kobo was setup for PC connection ONLY, and yet Kobo-eReader auto connected itself to WiFi.

How do I SIMPLY add an eBook file (from my PC) to Kobo-eReader using a cable without all the BS. ?
I had planned on downloading eBooks from various sources onto my PC then installing those files onto my Kobo, without all the Kobo $ale$ offering$.

I do NOT want Kobo randomly deciding when it will WiFi connect, that negates my business security + chews up eReader battery + exposes my business system to unauthorised access via the eReader.
I want to manually update Kobo when it suits me on my terms.
I do not want cloud storage, that just adds to uploads/downloads IP usage.

Are there Registry hacks to kill of Kobo Desktop WiFi ?

I have a lot of questions. But I will have deal with them one at a time.
So far the kobo experience has been a disaster. Glad I only bought one, I was going to buy 4 for my family.

I would appreciate any help -- thank you
-----
SPECS:
Toshiba Satellite C665
OS:= Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), sp1 (Build 7601) OEM
UI:=Classic Shell Start + Classic Explorer
Windows Indexing = disabled
bawldiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If it were me I'd uninstall the Kobo desktop software all together. You don't need to use it unless you want to. You can transfer books via drag & drop in Windows Explorer or using Calibre, then right click--->eject the device when done.

For myself I use Calibre as it helps keep my books organized and I can transfer with a quick click & prefer to not have the Kobo software installed on my PC. I leave WiFi turned off on the Aura HD unless I'm wanting to check for an update.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
In settings menu, sync and updates,uncheck Automatic sync and get latest from Kobo

Check your Account settings. Pocket and Facebook might not want have some of this accounts.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
In settings menu, sync and updates,uncheck Automatic sync and get latest from Kobo

Check your Account settings. Pocket and Facebook might not want have some of this accounts.
Right do those and disable your WiFi, you don't need that either, you can come here to MR and the Developer's Corner to download any firmware update. Throw away the Kobo Desktop program you don't need that either.

I also avoid a lot of the problems that the Kobo software encounters because it is slaved to its database, by not allowing it to manage my ebooks. I keep ~7000 on my external uSD card behind a "hidden" folder so Kobo's Nickel won't try to process them into their database. I read my ebooks using alternative ereading programs. Here
Both programs can read "hidden" files/folders.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you turn off WiFi you will lose a lot of nice features, such as Pocket, Google/Wiki lookup from inside books, and the ability to download books via wifi from sites such as Gutenberg and from your own PC via Calibre content server.

But do get rid of the Kobo desktop software, it doesn't add any functionality that is not already available directly via wifi, and just adds another set of things that can go wrong.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I downloaded the Kobo desktop software when I first got a Kobo Mini last year. I have never used it. So, that is one piece of software that you can definitely get rid of. I would start using Calibre to manage your library and also to be able to get the great addons that were developed for it by some of our very own members.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote