Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
(this coming from a guy who actually likes Thomas Covenant).
Hmm, I read the first 6 Covenant books when the first come, so my memory is quite dim on them, but I remembered loving the first 3 and finding the second 3 harder to read (probably because they were "darker" overall).

I've got the ones released recently in my TBR pile, but haven't read them yet.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Fair enough
That is just my opinion and concerns only me. I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I would never presume to feel that what I like is good and what someone else likes is bad. I know some of my favorite reads are considered trash b y others. Does it bother me? No, just as my dislikes should not bother others.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Hmmm, I think there is a big difference between bad fantasy and fantasy that you didn't like. [...]
^ Definitely this. ^

I can understand that some won't like the Thomas Covenant series, but any attempt to call it "bad" ... well, let's just say I have never seen anyone present a convincing argument, all it ever boils down to is "I didn't like it."

I have read some "bad" fantasy, stuff that is obviously poorly done copies, but the truth is that I don't dwell on these very much so rarely remember them (which can be a mistake because I sometimes try to re-read them). The ones I tend to remember are those from authors that have done something I like.

I really like David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series, but thought the Elenium was a disaster. I forced myself through them mainly to give him the benefit of the doubt - but these were awful (I will reluctantly allow that the third wasn't as bad as the first two). An excessively long prologue that throws up a catalogue of names with little useful context, and then a story which reads like a group of Don Quixote type knights (but not as likable as the original) rushing back and forth over the countryside achieving bugger all. Was this really "bad" as opposed to just didn't like? Perhaps others can answer that. Is there anyone out there that liked this series?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon
I'd be interested to know if you read it all the way through.

That goes down in the record book for me for a novel where nothing seems to happen for the first 400 (!) pages, then finally gets going properly in the second half.

Not a great book, but enough to get me further into the series, where he really does deliver with other books, notably the next one, Deadhouse Gates.

I'm struggling through The Bonehunters at the moment though. One stunning sequence but too much sprawl around it.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'd be interested to know if you read it all the way through.
I did. I read all of those books all the way through, although in some cases I kind of wish I hadn't. I believe I took a break to read something else in the middle of Gardens of the Moon, but I do remember it being better in the second half. It still felt like a semi-random series of unmotivated events. I didn't feel there was any kind of dynamic structure to it, just cataclysm upon cataclysm, with no build-up, no anticipation, no suspense.

I have heard that the second one is much better, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put the effort it. I'm not short of reading material.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have never been able to get through Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara. I'm not saying that it is inherently bad but I have tried three times to read through the whole book, without success.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I have never been able to get through Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara. I'm not saying that it is inherently bad but I have tried three times to read through the whole book, without success.
The series is not quite what you'd think if you start with The Sword of Shannara. If you read in chronological order, it's quite different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I hated - HATED - Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books when I tried rereading them recently. As a teenager I remember really enjoying the first three books, but a friend and I began swapping fantasy suggestions, and I found myself having to reread the series with him. I genuinely thought I might enjoy them, but I found myself advancing through the seven stages of grief with each successive page, until I permanently settled on stage three - anger. By the seventh book, I was filled with the white hot hatred of a thousand suns for Mr. Jordan and his crap writing. I reached the point where I realized that if I read about one more braid being tugged, one more skirt being smoothed, one more boneheaded decision by characters to move the incredibly bloated plot forward by one more millimeter, or one more overblown and unnecessarily detailed description of something I could not care about for another second longer, I was going to stab my eyeballs out with pencil.

Anyway, I didn't care for The Wheel of Time.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I'm quite happy to say it's inherently bad. I read it a long time ago, when I was much more forgiving, and I found it tedious even then. Like Tolkien without the good bits. And the imagination.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll nominate Lester Dent's Doc Savage books, written in the 1930's and reprinted in the 1960's. I thought these were awesome when I was around ten years old.

Somehow I came across most of the collection later in life and I could not understand how my young self enjoyed those so much. Robert E. Howard's fantasy works also lost some their value to me later in life but they still have some redeeming qualities. Same for the Perry Rhodan series, weaker but still valued.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'll nominate Lester Dent's Doc Savage books, written in the 1930's and reprinted in the 1960's. I thought these were awesome when I was around ten years old.
Here we go with tastes again. Never read any Doc Savage when I was younger, but a few have be posted here in the library and I've read 8 or 9 and I really like them. Yeah, they're pulp fiction to the extreme but at the same time they're fun little reads.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, I did not read all nine. I found the first book so awful, that I gave up after 15 chapters. Nothing happened, nothing looked like it was going to happen, and it looked like if anything did happen, it would have been something boring. I just found the writing to be stiff and unimaginable, It wasn't nice at all.
You are of course entitled to you opinion and I know others who didn't care for it, but at fifteen out of ninety-six chapters things hadn't even gotten rolling yet as far as the overall story-line of the first trilogy.

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't like it. I like her books quite a bit and so it's hard to read about all three trilogies getting put down because someone didn't like 140ish pages of the first (900+ page) book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You are of course entitled to you opinion and I know others who didn't care for it, but at fifteen out of ninety-six chapters things hadn't even gotten rolling yet as far as the overall story-line of the first trilogy.

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't like it. I like her books quite a bit and so it's hard to read about all three trilogies getting put down because someone didn't like 140ish pages of the first (900+ page) book.
The way I look at it, if the author cannot be interesting in 140 pages, it's not worth bothering with.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way I look at it, if the author cannot be interesting in 140 pages, it's not worth bothering with.
Guess we find different things interesting. :shrugs:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Guess we find different things interesting. :shrugs:
I am willing to try her Agents of Hel series. It does sound interesting.