Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Highlighting ePub or Mobi file

Hello folks,

While reading an ebook, mainly pdfs I have scanned books into, I tend to highlight and save the pdfs. I wonder if thats possible with ePub and Mobi format. I searched up and few old threads showed up saying its not possible but wasn't sure if its a format limitation or the reader software limitation.

Can someone flash some light please?

If its a format limitation, apart from Calibre what is next best program to convert epub and mobi to pdf?

Thanks in advance.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
You can certainly highlight text in mobi and ePub files.

I'm not sure how with mobi, but with ePub, the highlights are saved (I believe) to a separate file in the reading system. With the T1, this file can them be exported to a PC using the Sony software. I'm not sure how it would be done on other devices, but once on the PC, you should be able to view the ePub with the highlights shown in the Sony software - might even be able to see them in ADE.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
If its a format limitation, apart from Calibre what is next best program to convert epub and mobi to pdf?...
It is somewhat of a format limitation. Neither ePub nor MOBI support highlighting in and of themselves, but...

...Kindle readers and software apps have a mechanism for highlighting and annotation that uses a sidecar file.

...some ePub readers, software and/or device, have similar highlighting and annotation functions. Again, using their own methods.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
So I think its best if I convert epubs and mobis to pdf. The only problem here is, I am adding one more file to the library for every epub and/or mobi and certainly this pdf is going to larger in size than either of those. My library is pretty large to begin with and I am not keen on adding extra files (but doesn't look like I have much choice).

Thanks for all inputs.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
heccav
heccav began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,
you don't have to convert your epubs to pdf, which i tried and didn't get any good result.
You can highlight your epub books. you will need to have installed adobe digital editions on your device. when you open the file with adobe digital you will need to copy the book into the library. then you can highlight. all the best.
heccav is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Hi heccav and welcome to Mobile Read.

Seeing as this thread is over 2 1/2 years old, you might want to think where the OP still needs this advise.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote