Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
Angie1000
Angie1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2024
Unhappy Adding books using metadata in them

Hi

Just got the reading bug again after a very long hiatus. Trying to sort my library but having an issue when I add books I have already sorted.

My process:

1. add book
2. sort out metadata mess to how I want it
3. save file (using plugboard thingy) so format is_
<author> - <series> <series index> - <title>
when there is a series and_
<author> - <title>
when there is not.

All fields on the 'Edit metadata' screen show everything is ok.

I then delete them from Calibre (for my own reasons)

So when I want them I drag them into Calibre and when I use the filename to get author, title, and series/series index, or just author and title, it works, those fields are populated as well as <title sort> and <author sort>

However, then I use bulk 'Edit metadata' to 'set cover from ebook files' (which works) and 'set metadata from ebook files'

It is this last application that fails in a small way by adding a hyphen and space at the beginning of each title.

If I change the 'Adding books' preferences to 'Read metadata from file contents rather than filename' (which I would prefer) it adds the hyphen and space before the title and title sort in the title column and on the 'edit metadata' screen.

Any way I can stop this happening so all metadata can be got from the file without adding the hyphen and space at the beginning of the title?

Any and all help gratefully received.

Angie
Angie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:20 AM   #2
Angie1000
Angie1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2024
Solved
Angie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:00 AM   #3
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Please share how?
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote