Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-08-2024, 12:31 AM   #1
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur
GregTheGrate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Open Calibre to Use a Different Library

At startup, is it possible to have Calibre open a different library from the one it is pointing to?
GregTheGrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre --with-library "C:/path/to/other/library/folder"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:47 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried opening calibre from a command line (or using a batch/script file) with either the --with-library or --library-path option?

Under Windows, the command line would look something like:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library D:\Calibre_Library\Cantrip
Please note that this will set the default library to Cantrip the next time you open calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:06 AM   #4
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur

Sorry, forgot to say I'm on a Mac. My difficulty was that I couldn't get Calibre to start as the library was on OneDrive and as I am on a new computer, the files hadn't synced, so calibre couldn't open.

However, I solved the problem by changing the metadata file name on OneDrive so when Calibre started, it created a new library. Was then easy to switch libraries to my backup copy on my new disk.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:14 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Blech! Have you not seen any of the posts in these forums about having your library on a network drive?

It's when not if your library will be corrupted.

Backup your library to OneDrive or other cloud storage from your local copy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 AM   #6
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur

I stand admonished.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:33 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheGrate View Post
I stand admonished.
We are not admonishing you .
We are trying to save you GRIEF.

Note to ALL: Read the FAQ's. Most were created because users had issues or questions.
Revisit them periodically, they are living documents. Changes / additions get done as needed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote