Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Question about Kindle DX Graphite

Guys, quick question about Kindle DXG. Are you able to download books in PDF by clicking a web link? For example, if there is a web server on which PDFs are stored, can you click on the link and download the PDFs directly to the Kindle DXG? Thanks for your answers.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
I just tried this by clicking on a .PDF link from Google Scholar. The response:

Quote:
Basic Web cannot download this kind of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .AZW1, .PRC, .MOBI, or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle.
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thank you, Cosmo, for trying this for me. Bummer it doesn't work. In my opinion, this is a necessary feature to say the least. Especially since the DX is targeted at industry professionals who need the larger screen for technical PDFs.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food

Yeah I think the target market is not quite as professional as you suggest, although I did buy it myself for much this sort of reason. I am optimistic, though, that if there is indeed such a (strong) market, there will be development in that direction as the new KDK developer community becomes active.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Thank you, Cosmo, for trying this for me. Bummer it doesn't work. In my opinion, this is a necessary feature to say the least. Especially since the DX is targeted at industry professionals who need the larger screen for technical PDFs.
It is possible to download PDFs to a PC and then simply transfer them to the DXG. A bit kluge, but it works. It would be better to download via Whispernet though.
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hey thanks i tried it to
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict

Cosmo, how well does the DXG fit into your professional needs? Is it able to successfully read almost any PDF that you throw at it? What about technical PDFs with charts and tables?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Cosmo, how well does the DXG fit into your professional needs? Is it able to successfully read almost any PDF that you throw at it? What about technical PDFs with charts and tables?
I'm not Cosmo, but I've looked at several Coast Guard study guides in PDF. These are old (12-15 year old) books that were scanned and saved in PDF format. Even printed they look like a several-generation xerox copy--kind of fuzzy and blotchy. But surprisingly they are very readable on my DXG, especially in landscape mode. Some have two columns of text and lots of photos and charts. PDFs that are actually created from text, as opposed to being scanned images, look terrific. BTW, as far as PDFs go, most of the ones I read are technical and/or scientific in genre. So yes the DXG works great for technical PDFs.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you for the information, Jack. What about response time between page turns?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food

Quote:
I read a lot of PDFs on it - I only have one book that isn't in PDF format - and I haven't had any problems yet. You can see my comment on this in this thread and in this video.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thank you for the information, Jack. What about response time between page turns?
Even a 35 MB PDF loads fairly fast and page turns are instantaneous.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you for the information you both have provided. I really appreciate it.