Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Another hello from Canada

Hey hey,

Just recently stumbled on this site and it looks to have a great community! I have never owned an ebook since they have always been more expensive then I could/was willing to pay for one, but i was recently in an Indigo buying a couple books and noticed on their terminal the Kobo for $149 which got me very interested. Hope these forums help me make my final decision to get it or not or perhaps something else.
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hey hey hey! Welcome our way!

And don't forget, for any reader you buy, you can download a kazillion free classics from places like Project Gutenberg or our own humble abode here at MobileRead!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead BongoBong.

The famous E-book Reader Matrix is available in our wiki and is a good source for comparing different models of eBook readers.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome BB! Where in Canada are you from?

I saw today a Canadian (from Vancouver, I think) post that his local Costco has the Aluratek Libre for C$149. You might want to look at that before you make up your mind.

Also Newegg has a sale until April 12 - the jetBook Lite for US$99.99. I have one, and am generally quite pleased with it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
BongoBong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey hey hey! Welcome our way!

And don't forget, for any reader you buy, you can download a kazillion free classics from places like Project Gutenberg or our own humble abode here at MobileRead!
Thanks I have used the project gutenberg once before to get a book I needed to read for a class but I had completely forgot about it! Looks like you guys have quite the collection as well.

Quote:
Welcome to MobileRead BongoBong.

The famous E-book Reader Matrix is available in our wiki and is a good source for comparing different models of eBook readers.
thanks for the link I hadn't stumbled across it before and it looks like it could be a big help

Quote:
Welcome BB! Where in Canada are you from?

I saw today a Canadian (from Vancouver, I think) post that his local Costco has the Aluratek Libre for C$149. You might want to look at that before you make up your mind.

Also Newegg has a sale until April 12 - the jetBook Lite for US$99.99. I have one, and am generally quite pleased with it.
I am from Calgary but living in Kingston these last 2 years, moving to Ottawa in 4 months.

I will take a look at that aluratek libre.

If I could order to Canada from newegg.com theres a pretty good chance I would get that jetbook lite right now since our dollars are almost par. But its 139.99 at newegg.ca which is still a solid price but going to research it a bit more before I pick (likely between the kobo, and the 2 you mentioned since they are in my price range)

thanks all for the replies!
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
I am from Calgary but living in Kingston these last 2 years, moving to Ottawa in 4 months.

I will take a look at that aluratek libre.

If I could order to Canada from newegg.com theres a pretty good chance I would get that jetbook lite right now since our dollars are almost par. But its 139.99 at newegg.ca which is still a solid price but going to research it a bit more before I pick (likely between the kobo, and the 2 you mentioned since they are in my price range)

thanks all for the replies!
If you are already a member of Costco (which is to say, if you have already paid your annual dues), then the Libre is a good bet.

I like the JBL, but I have spent $55 since getting it on rechargeable batteries and charger, an SD card and reader, etc. So keep in mind that your spending hasn't ended when you have the JBL in your hands.

There are plenty of threads about the Libre and the JBL to research here at the Ectaco jetBook forum.

The word here the past couple of weeks is that the Kobo looks like old technology. I recommend that you not be the first person on the internet to get one.

Calgary, eh? The Stamps look pretty good, except that they traded Jermaine Copeland. I think they might miss him.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi BongoBong and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Bongo. Here's hoping you can find an affordable reader soon. Anyone here will tell you that a keen bookworm will find the gizmo pays for itself in short order. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
BongoBong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
If you are already a member of Costco (which is to say, if you have already paid your annual dues), then the Libre is a good bet.

I like the JBL, but I have spent $55 since getting it on rechargeable batteries and charger, an SD card and reader, etc. So keep in mind that your spending hasn't ended when you have the JBL in your hands.

There are plenty of threads about the Libre and the JBL to research here at the Ectaco jetBook forum.

The word here the past couple of weeks is that the Kobo looks like old technology. I recommend that you not be the first person on the internet to get one.

Calgary, eh? The Stamps look pretty good, except that they traded Jermaine Copeland. I think they might miss him.
Yup I do have a costco membership, ill definitely have to see if its $149 out here. I notice it doesn't have a dictionary like the jetbook lite though, if you install the jetbook firmware on it will it also get dictionary? Ill have to read up on the forums here about the differences!

I already have i think 4 eneloops for my camera flash backup (charger as well of course) so that shouldn't be to bad, although I will probably need another 4 so i can just switch them out when needed. Why did you buy a card reader? is that needed or can you just use the usb cables to transfer everything?

Are you originally from Canada? Can't say I know alot of Americans that watch the CFL! And yah losing Copeland could be bad, but P.K. Sam is solid and with Burris tossing to him he could fill the void

Last edited by BongoBong; 04-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

BB, the jetBook dictionary has been a great disappointment to me. Only about 10% of the words I look up are included.

Maybe one day they will expand it, but I suggest you not purchase an eBook reader based upon what might happen in the future.

I bought a card reader at GhostHawk's suggestion, and I'm glad I did. It was inexpensive at $2.99 with free shipping from DealExtreme. It is much more convenient to plug the reader into the desktop than fool with the wire of the JBL.

GhostHawk feels that transfering the files by connecting the JBL wire is too slow.

Years ago I did business with the CFL. I have been a fan since 1959, and I remember watching the 1962 Grey Cup on ABC Wide World of Sports. I attended my first game in 1976 (Saskatchewan with Ron Lancaster visiting Hamilton with Terry Evanshen). I listen to all the games on the internet, and feel that of all the sports and leagues, the CFL has the best ballgames.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome, Bongobong.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome_67.gif
Views:	188
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	49704 to the forum, BongoBong.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
BongoBong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
BB, the jetBook dictionary has been a great disappointment to me. Only about 10% of the words I look up are included.

Maybe one day they will expand it, but I suggest you not purchase an eBook reader based upon what might happen in the future.

I bought a card reader at GhostHawk's suggestion, and I'm glad I did. It was inexpensive at $2.99 with free shipping from DealExtreme. It is much more convenient to plug the reader into the desktop than fool with the wire of the JBL.

GhostHawk feels that transfering the files by connecting the JBL wire is too slow.

Years ago I did business with the CFL. I have been a fan since 1959, and I remember watching the 1962 Grey Cup on ABC Wide World of Sports. I attended my first game in 1976 (Saskatchewan with Ron Lancaster visiting Hamilton with Terry Evanshen). I listen to all the games on the internet, and feel that of all the sports and leagues, the CFL has the best ballgames.
Thanks for the info on the dictionary, that was definitely one of the pro's I had down for the JBL, and fair enough with the card reader.

Awesome that you have been a fan of the CFL for so long! I'd have to imagine you enjoyed the last grey cup, I guess sasketchewan took that 23th man thing a little to seriously! It was one of the craziest finishes I have ever seen. Do you have a team that you cheer for?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
Awesome that you have been a fan of the CFL for so long! I'd have to imagine you enjoyed the last grey cup, I guess sasketchewan took that 23th man thing a little to seriously! It was one of the craziest finishes I have ever seen. Do you have a team that you cheer for?
I listened to the game on the internet, and I was exhausted for the next 24 hours!

I don't have a favorite team. I root for people that I have met. Last year we lost a number of those people - Ron Lancaster, Jake Gaudaur, Bob Ackles and Ralph Sazio. I don't know too many people now - Bob Young of Hamilton, Wally Buono of BC, Bob Irving of Winnipeg, Doug Mitchell of Calgary and Larry Smith of Montreal.

When I lived in Atlanta in the 90s, a number of players came to my annual Grey Cup party - Damon Allen, Reggie Pleasant, Ronald Williams, Gerald Alphin and Randy Rhino.

OK, so much for name dropping!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi BongBong & welcome to MR. I have never (so far) regretted the decision to buy my reader. Although sometimes the price of the books irk me I still find heaps of free / cheap books and love the convenience of having my library with me where ever I go
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote