Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
davec67
davec67 began at the beginning.

scaling pdfs

the reviews I have seen say that the reader does not zoom pdfs and a4 pdfs appear to small to read. So how do you reformat them so that you can read them? Is there opensource or freeware utilitities to reformat a pdf or do you have to go out and buy some adobe software?
davec67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec67
the reviews I have seen say that the reader does not zoom pdfs and a4 pdfs appear to small to read.
That's not precisely true. You can rotate a PDF into landscape mode, which gives you something on the order of 2X size increase. But, yes, it's still too small to read comforatbly.

There's been an ongoing discussion of how to reformat PDFs since the iLiad released, and a few workarounds have come out of it. But as far as I know, there haven't been any real solutions yet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It depends on the PDF. Most of the one's I read are policy papers from think tanks and are easily copied and pasted into Word. If they're like Google PDF's then other then landscaping them, you're out of luck
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #4
donuildhu
donuildhu began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I had a question regarding the usage of .PDFs with the Sony Reader, so I thought I'd just hijack this thread and ask it here...

About 'zooming' .PDFs... the vast majority of .PDFs I read are scanned images of old books, and thus not text that can be resized.
Setting it to landscape would not work for me very well, as the text is often too small and the margins are usually very large.
My question is this: If one converts these .PDFs to Sony format, will it allow effective zooming? Or is it possible to fit the view to 'page width' and thus view a part of a single page (and scroll to see the rest)?

Hope that makes sense... thanks for any answers in advance!
donuildhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
There's been an ongoing discussion of how to reformat PDFs since the iLiad released, and a few workarounds have come out of it. But as far as I know, there haven't been any real solutions yet.
I'm waiting for testing this one, I hope it will be useful; http://www.maus-soft.com/index.php?p=pprod/lm - When I called them a while ago they said it would be out in September..
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert