Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Kindle build quality? My kindle 2 squeaks when I squeeze it...

Hey,

When I squeeze my Kindle 2 (front-to-back) right where the lower hinge-hole is, it squeaks about 80% of the time. That doesn't happen anywhere else around the edge...

...it's kind of irritating that it does that since it's only just over a week old in my hands (and yes, I've been taking fine care of it... :P ).

...does that sound like a defect to you guys? I'm trying to decide if that's worth asking for a replacement or something over.

Has anyone else found squeaks or other reasons to doubt build quality on their K2?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Is it a happy squeak or an angry one? Perhaps it likes/doesn't like that.

Srsly, it probably does speak to build quality. I'd be interested if others experience the same thing
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Um.... Why are you squeezing your Kindle there?

I don't know if my Kindle squeaks when i squeeze it there, mostly because it never occurred to me to attempt to squeeze my Kindle there.

Does your Kindle squeak under NORMAL use? IOW... holding it and reading and pressing the next page or prev page buttons as appropriate?

I'm frankly not sure how many consumer devices squeak when squeezed in odd places... the question only rarely comes up...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Hey,

When I squeeze my Kindle 2 (front-to-back) right where the lower hinge-hole is, it squeaks about 80% of the time. That doesn't happen anywhere else around the edge...

...it's kind of irritating that it does that since it's only just over a week old in my hands (and yes, I've been taking fine care of it... :P ).

...does that sound like a defect to you guys? I'm trying to decide if that's worth asking for a replacement or something over.

Has anyone else found squeaks or other reasons to doubt build quality on their K2?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Stop squeezing it!

Seriously, why are you squeezing it?

Have you contacted Kindle support?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Welllll...I *discovered* the squeak under normal use...I probably picked it up there at one point...

...but now it happens occasionally as I squeeze it to hold it or pick it up, but also, since I know it's there, I keep testing for it...like a scab that you know is there and that you should leave alone, but can't quite make yourself leave it alone...

I actually have just sent Kindle support an email about it...we'll see what they say, I guess.
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Well if it bothers you that much I suppose it's a problem...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a related post from the Amazon discussions forums on "creaky" kindles....... I'm sorry, I can't help it. Was there ANY quality control on these units?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-physica...sin=B00154JDAI
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Reminds me of those toys from Mattel where you can push different buttons and make a noise. Does Mattel build the Kindles for Amazon?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here is a related post from the Amazon discussions forums on "creaky" kindles....... I'm sorry, I can't help it. Was there ANY quality control on these units?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-physica...sin=B00154JDAI
Thanks for the pointer, desertgrandma!

Now I totally feel less crazy!

I'm gonna call up CS and get me a creak-free one...hopefully...

:-)
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I too, have a slight squeak when I squeeze my K2 around the edges. As I squeeze harder it turnes into a cracking noise....

I am going to call CS and see what they think.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Starhawk
Enthusiast

So I'd sent CS an email, and they responded suggesting that a call would be better...so today two weeks later (or so), I finally make the time to call them, and tomorrow, as most of the experiences in that Amazon forum thread seem to suggest, I will have a new Kindle arriving tomorrow, hopefully squeak/creak free.

It was a totally painless CS call.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
So I'd sent CS an email, and they responded suggesting that a call would be better...so today two weeks later (or so), I finally make the time to call them, and tomorrow, as most of the experiences in that Amazon forum thread seem to suggest, I will have a new Kindle arriving tomorrow, hopefully squeak/creak free.

Very cool! Great service still exists, I see......
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
Starhawk
Enthusiast

Quote:

*sigh*

So I received the replacement Kindle yesterday, and, after having read around the forums about a bunch of other Kindle 2 defects, I did as thorough a check of the new K2 as I could.

There was no squeak, and the build quality on that front seemed top-notch. The lack of the squeak really made it feel much better.

All the buttons checked out, in both alignment and clickability...except for the Up volume button. That one was stuck, and i couldn't unstick it. It was night-time, so I couldn't check for the ink-gets-faded/blotchy/washed-out when in the sunlight issue.

Soooo...the second one has a defective button...

So I gotta call CS about sending this one back and getting a different replacement one...

*sigh*