Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2024, 05:52 AM   #1
SteveMarshall
Steve from AKL
SteveMarshall began at the beginning.

Device: iPad - Marvin app
Book details

I set my book details to be below the main database as this is easy to see for each book as I scroll down. The comments used to be to the side of the other book details but are now below which means I have to scroll. The last change log for Release: 7.4 [19 Jan, 2024] notes under Bug fixes:
"Fix a regression in the previous release that caused comments in the Book details panel to be rendered below rather than at the side of the other information".
However the comments only sit below in this version and I can't find how to get them back to the side. It looks like there is an additional column in the panel as I can resize it using the elipses nest to the cover picture, but I don't know how to move the comments back over there.
SteveMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 06:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to do anything comments are rendered to the side automatically in version 7.4 as can be seen in the attached screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	819.1 KB
ID:	206006  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2024, 11:16 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I know you can't please everyone, but this program does its best to try. Anyway, is there any way to turn this off and put the comments back under the book details in Macbook? If not I'll hold off updating to 7.4.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:24 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I know you can't please everyone, but this program does its best to try. Anyway, is there any way to turn this off and put the comments back under the book details in Macbook? If not I'll hold off updating to 7.4.
In "narrow" mode, calibre has since forever displayed book details at the bottom using 2 columns. Comments are in the right-hand column. The single-column behavior in 7.3 was a bug, now fixed. I don't see a new option being added to make columns optional, so I suspect you will be prevented from upgrading for a very long time.

When using "wide" mode, items in book details are shown on the right in a single column.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:39 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
In "narrow" mode, calibre has since forever displayed book details at the bottom using 2 columns. Comments are in the right-hand column. The single-column behavior in 7.3 was a bug, now fixed. I don't see a new option being added to make columns optional, so I suspect you will be prevented from upgrading for a very long time.

When using "wide" mode, items in book details are shown on the right in a single column.
Thanks, too bad for us folks using tiny screens. I guess I'll stay at 7.3 until forced to upgrade due to a new change I want or to correct something I really don't want. I guess I could just remove all my notes (not something I use often).

Would there be a blank column on the right if there are no notes?
Advert
Old 01-27-2024, 12:57 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks, too bad for us folks using tiny screens. I guess I'll stay at 7.3 until forced to upgrade due to a new change I want or to correct something I really don't want. I guess I could just remove all my notes (not something I use often).
What did you do when you used any version of calibre from v0 up to V7.2? They all behaved like 7.4.
Quote:
Would there be a blank column on the right if there are no notes?
Yes.

BTW: I assume that when you say "notes" you mean "comments". Because if you really mean the new "notes" feature then they aren't displayed in book details at all.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:25 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What did you do when you used any version of calibre from v0 up to V7.2? They all behaved like 7.4.
Yes.

BTW: I assume that when you say "notes" you mean "comments". Because if you really mean the new "notes" feature then they aren't displayed in book details at all.
Correct, "comments". So I just went back to an old version and see that I totally misunderstood! From the thumbnail of Kovid, I thought the comment column was on top of my other columns, not to the right of the bottom details. I misread "book details". All is good, thanks for helping me understand!
Old 01-27-2024, 03:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you want a Floating mostly details window, try using the Info pane
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:22 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There's also a toolbar/menu button, which provides access to both the current and the locked BD detached panels.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-28 111052.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	206059

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:25 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There's also a toolbar/menu button, which provides access to both the current and the locked BD detached panels.

Attachment 206059

BR
That's great! Didn't know about it.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:37 PM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
After all this time using Calibre, I don't know which pane is the Info pane. Can you help me out?

I'm now putting together a chart showing what Calibre calls all the Panes so I can find them next time.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #12
SteveMarshall
Steve from AKL

I am on 7.4 but it not working for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont need to do anything comments are rendered to the side automatically in version 7.4 as can be seen in the attached screen shot
Ever since I updated to 7.4 the comments have reverted to being at the bottom, instead of the side where they were. So I am not sure what is happening. I have attached a screenshot. I really love your passion for this and thank you for taking the time to look at our comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 08.43.11.png
Views:	37
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	206070  
Old 01-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #13
SteveMarshall
Steve from AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMarshall View Post
Ever since I updated to 7.4 the comments have reverted to being at the bottom, instead of the side where they were. So I am not sure what is happening. I have attached a screenshot. I really love your passion for this and thank you for taking the time to look at our comments.
Sorry!!!! I have resolved the issue. I have selected 'never' for 'show comments heading' and it has reverted to being on the side. I had previously selected 'beside text'. Thank you for you time.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:03 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
After all this time using Calibre, I don't know which pane is the Info pane. Can you help me out?

I'm now putting together a chart showing what Calibre calls all the Panes so I can find them next time.
On my screen shot there's a icon for Layout actions, have a look at it.

Hmmm… I see it doesn't show associated shortcuts, and it lacks an action to move Book details

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:21 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On my screen shot there's a icon for Layout actions, have a look at it.

Hmmm… I see it doesn't show associated shortcuts, and it lacks an action to move Book details

BR
Thanks, I have what I need. Appreciate it.

Do you know what pane is called the info pane?