Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 06:31 AM   #16
Joentjuh
Joentjuh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Same here, (XFCE+XOrg on Manjaro Linux).

After some playing around:
- Downgrading back to 7.2 seems to resolve the issue completely
- Starting with default settings (renamed .config/calibre to something else) and starting fresh doesn't solve the issue
- Narrowing an existing (unaffected) column to its narrowest state introduces the issue to that column until it's widened again
- Narrowing an unaffected column (both custom and default) to its narrowest state and restarting introduced the issue that that column
- Increasing the width to one of the affected columns seems to fix it for all columns
- Resizing an unaffected column (from the start) does NOT solve the issue, ever after narrowing it first
- Affected columns seem to all be narrower than 65pixels, at least widening it to 65 or more fixes the issue
- Fixes only hold until a restart
- So far the only thing that seems to work consistently is resetting all afflicted columns to >65px (recommended width, double click divider in header, works for this).

No idea about the why of it all or how to solve/debug it.
It seems to be 7.3 specific and doesn't involve non-standard settings (like custom columns or column colouring/icons)
Joentjuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:08 AM   #17
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
It's a shame couldn't fix this issue in version 7.4
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 04:40 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I still cant replicate it so I cant fix it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:42 AM   #19
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I still cant replicate it so I cant fix it.
Ok, it only happens on OpenSUSE 15.5, Win10 Pro, Windows 11 and Manjaro Linux. What can we do?.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Ok, it only happens on OpenSUSE 15.5, Win10 Pro, Windows 11 and Manjaro Linux. What can we do?.
It doesn't happen in Win10 Pro for me. I have spent over 2 hours trying to make it fail, using all the "clues" from this thread. Making the column small doesn't trigger it, with or without a restart. Putting the column on a viewport edge doesn't trigger it. Changing a column size has only the expected effect, the column changes size. It doesn't fail for standard or custom columns.

I don't use the View Manager. If it is the trigger then we need to know what steps are required to make it fail.

As for what you can do, perhaps sending us your metadata.db and your calibre configuration folder contents will help (use a bug report). That way we can test with your calibre configuration but not your hardware/OS. If that still doesn't fail for us then the last option is for someone to do what Kovid suggested: run from source with print statements in the updateEditorGeometry() function in delegates.py.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #21
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As for what you can do, perhaps sending us your metadata.db and your calibre configuration folder contents will help (use a bug report).
Sent the bug report.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:06 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sent the bug report.
I don't see it. Did you mark it as Private? EDIT: If you did mark it as private, give me the bug number here and I will Kovid to let me see it.

Last edited by chaley; 01-19-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:10 PM   #23
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
I don't see it. Did you mark it as Private?
Yes.

Edit: 2049929

Last edited by jbacelar; 01-19-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes.
Is it necessary to remove the private one?
Give me the bug number here and I will ask Kovid to let me see it.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:33 PM   #25
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
Give me the bug number here and I will ask Kovid to let me see it.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:24 PM   #26
Joentjuh

Update (what I have so far):
Running from source (git), edited src/calibre/gui2/library/delegates.py
Code:
$ mkdir dev && cd dev
$ git clone https://github.com/kovidgoyal/bypy.git
$ git clone https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre.git
$ cd calibre
$ ./setup.py bootstrap
$ ./setup.py install --staging-root ./
[changed delegates.py]
$ ./run-local calibre
Working column edit:
Code:
  [orig initial_geometry]:  PyQt6.QtCore.QRect(887, 0, 65, 30)
  _width: orig: 65  max: 64  new: 64
  >> new_width <= orig_width
  [new initial_geometry]:  PyQt6.QtCore.QRect(887, 0, 65, 30)
QAbstractItemView::closeEditor called with an editor that does not belong to this view
Not working column edit:
Code:
  [orig initial_geometry]:  PyQt6.QtCore.QRect(952, 0, 41, 30)
  _width: orig: 41  max: 64  new: 64
  >> new_width > orig_width
  LayoutDirection.LeftToRight
  space_ left: 952  right: -888
  consume_ left: 952  right: -888
  delta_ x: -952  width: -929
  [new initial_geometry]:  PyQt6.QtCore.QRect(0, 0, 64, 30)
QAbstractItemView::closeEditor called with an editor that does not belong to this view
The LayoutDirection block seems to be the issue... no idea why exactly, copying over the delegates.py file from 7.2 isn't enough.
But the compiled version from https://download.calibre-ebook.com/7.2.0/ (still) doesn't have the issue, so possible the problem lies elsewhere...?

Adding
Code:
delta_x = 0
delta_width = new_width
after the LayoutDirection if/else appears to have solved it for me (line 118).
As a bonus though, this change solved another issue I had with Yes/No columns (field loses focus after a change)

If there are things you'd like me to try further I'm willing, but for me this is about what I can do with the knowledge (don't know anything about Qt/GUI development) and time available that I have...

Edit: (personal reminder for if I ever have to do this again)
Spoiler:

$ mkdir /opt/calibre-dev
$ ./setup.py install --prefix=/opt/calibre-dev
$ ln -s /opt/calibre-dev/bin/calibre ~/bin/
edit files in [/opt/calibre-dev/lib/calibre]

Last edited by Joentjuh; 01-19-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:49 PM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joentjuh View Post
Update (what I have so far):
Running from source (git), edited src/calibre/gui2/library/delegates.py
[...]
Thank you. I am now able to repeat the problem. It happens if:
  • There has never been a horizontal scroll bar displayed for the book list.
  • The widget space size is smaller than what appears to be two scroll bar arrows, which on my Windows 10 machine is 84 pixels.
Once a horizontal scroll bar has been displayed the problem no longer happens, even if the scroll bar is no longer displayed. This can be easily verified by narrowing the calibre window until the book list displays a scroll bar, then moving it back to where it was.

I have a fix that I will submit to Kovid.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:22 PM   #28
Joentjuh

Quote:
Thank you. I am now able to repeat the problem. It happens if:
  • There has never been a horizontal scroll bar displayed for the book list.
  • The widget space size is smaller than what appears to be two scroll bar arrows, which on my Windows 10 machine is 84 pixels.
Once a horizontal scroll bar has been displayed the problem no longer happens, even if the scroll bar is no longer displayed. This can be easily verified by narrowing the calibre window until the book list displays a scroll bar, then moving it back to where it was.

Just came to the same conclusion, "max_width = view.geometry().width() - view.verticalHeader().width()" fixed it.
Now I'm annoyed at myself for never having noticed/thought about the disappearing horizontal scrollbar (obvious in hindsight) but that's what you get with wide monitors and a dislike for horizontal scrolling.

Glad I've been able to help.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:10 AM   #29
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
Thank you very much, chaley.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:39 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The fix is in calibre source.