Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 06:35 AM   #1
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
Display error in Calibre 7.3

I have a minor display error in Calibre 7.3 .... When I click on the "Rating" field, the combo box shows at the far left side of the line, rather than in it's correct column location - see the attached image.

Other notes:
  • Other fields do not do this
  • It doesn't seem to matter which columns are included in the view
  • This is new behavior in 7.3
  • If I resize the main window far enough to get a scroll bar across the bottom of the columns, then the "Rating" combo box appears in the right place.
  • I'm running Grant Drake's "View Manager" plugin, and normally set a specific view on startup, but turning off this behavior doesn't fix the display

Background:
  • OS is OpenSUSE 15.5 with all current patches
  • Calibre 7.3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-01-08_06-14-34.png
Views:	139
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	205669  
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:30 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It doesn't happen for me on Win10 Pro.

Are you using Wayland? If so, this is probably yet another of the many instances where Wayland breaks things.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 08:19 AM   #3
drawson1
Connoisseur

Well, not intentionally :-)

Desktop is XFCE, and the xfwm window manager does appear to use wayland, but I don't know enough about the desktop -> window manager -> wayland relationship to tell how it works. The last wayland update on OpenSUSE was 26-December, so well before the Calibre 7.2 -> 7.3 upgrade.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:16 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wayland has caused innumerable calibre problems for a long time. It (and other distro sillyness) reached the point where Kovid (calibre's author) considered dropping Linux calibre support. For all I know he might still be considering it.

I am 99% sure that nothing will be done in calibre to "fix" these problems. There might be changes in Qt, but usually new releases of Qt create more problems than they fix.

I suggest you change window managers if you can.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:42 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
IMO Wayland is barely Beta.
Use X.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 12:58 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And do not report any problems with calibre when using Wayland. Otherwise, you may lose Linux support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:44 PM   #7
drawson1
Connoisseur

NOT a "wayland" issue.

I restarted using both an IceWM session and an LXQt session (using openbox as the wm), neither of which have ANY wayland dependencies that I can find .... and this minor display issue still shows up.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post
NOT a "wayland" issue.

I restarted using both an IceWM session and an LXQt session (using openbox as the wm), neither of which have ANY wayland dependencies that I can find .... and this minor display issue still shows up.
Try @Quoth's suggestion and use X. It could still be a shell issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:48 PM   #9
drawson1
Connoisseur

Sorry - can you clarify what is meant by "use X"? With my Xfce desktop session, the X server is running - the installed OpenSUSE package is "xorg-x11-server", and that /usr/bin/X binary is the one in use ....
Old 01-08-2024, 07:23 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try @Quoth's suggestion and use X. It could still be a shell issue.
Quote:
Sorry - can you clarify what is meant by "use X"? With my Xfce desktop session, the X server is running - the installed OpenSUSE package is "xorg-x11-server", and that /usr/bin/X binary is the one in use ....
JSWolf is a Windows user.

Indeed I meant xorg-x11, so you have some other issue.

IceWM nor XFCE wouldn't normally be using Wayland, but anything is possible.
I have Mint and a choice of Cinnamon, Mate, IceWM and XFCE. I use Mate, but it has a choice of Window Managers. I've never had any display issues except on one ancient 32 bit Netbook. It turned out the display controller on it had gone faulty.

I've no familiarity with LXQt or OpenBox.

Linux is very flexible.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-08-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:44 PM   #11
drawson1
Connoisseur

Cool, thanks .... I was surprised to see that xfwm showed that link to the wayland libs since the XFCE wiki is clear that wayland is a target, but they're not there yet.

LXQt desktop environment with the openbox window manager is just another choice on OpenSUSE ... you can also use LXDE (also with openbox). But I think in ALL of those cases, they're still running the Xorg (or Xfree86 :-) server. I'm still not clear on how these pieces actually go together .....

In the end, this is actually a VERY minor display issue :-)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:17 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Doesnt replicate on any of my Linux systems either X11 or Wayland. Without being able to replicate not much I can do to fix. If you can think of something unusual about your systems that might be causing it, I can try to reproduce, ro you can run calibre from source and debug for yourself, relevant code is updateEditorGeometry() function in delegates.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:00 AM   #13
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post
I have a minor display error in Calibre 7.3 .... When I click on the "Rating" field, the combo box shows at the far left side of the line, rather than in it's correct column location - see the attached image
The same happens to me. Windows 10 Pro.
After many tests I have found the fault and how to temporarily solve it.
It affects View Manager and the width of the affected column or columns.
Temporary solution: Increase the width of the affected column (or columns) and execute the desired view with View Manager.
This must be done every time you open Calibre.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:21 PM   #14
drawson1
Connoisseur

GREAT fix, thanks!

I have View Manager set to load a view on startup - with the slightly wider column the display error is also gone at startup. I DID click "Save View Columns" after changing the width.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:55 PM   #15
DuncanPA
DuncanPA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 11
I had the same error on Windows 11 but only for my custom columns. Oddly enough widening the column width took car of the issue
DuncanPA is offline   Reply With Quote